3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I have been hunting illegal...Now with UPDATE!  (Read 1666 times)

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I have been hunting illegal...Now with UPDATE!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Laws being broken in Wyoming?  I've never heard of such things!  At least where I've visited, that place is as lawless and libertarian as it gets.  

If this were happening in a more urban, uptight environment on the east coast perhaps, there could be a bigger issue.  Personally, I wouldn't give it a second thought.  I just can't dream of bumping into the type of warden in Wyoming that would be such a stickler.  Its just not that kind of culture there.  On this issue, I would expect common sense to prevail in Wyoming.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
In Idaho, the game warden had a pocket sized pendulum that he hooked the arrow to.  The legally weighted arrow pulls it's side of the pendulum down.  If I recall correctly, the pendulum also had a hole cut through the flat metal to check broadhead width.  That broadhead better not go through the hole or you have broken the law and at the mercy of the officer.  There wasn't much room in that test to try and justify a "small" broadhead.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
As an ethical hunter you need to stay within the law. You are correct to never trust advertising. Look at the Rage Broadhead advertising.  It is ridiculous!

As for calling the game deparment.  That solution simply does not work.  You will get different answers from different people.  Different officers will enforce that regulation differently. Been there done that, had the judge look at the officer and ask why I was cited and then throw the citation out.  I had been checked by three prior officers over several years with no problems on the issue.  The only person who matters is the judge who decides if your broadhead cuting width is not wide enough.  

Find a good head with a minimum 1-inch cutting width and use it knowing your legal and no one can mess with you. I prefer to walk in the woods with out a worry in the world when I run into a officer.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
This is an interesting situation, Here in Virginia Regulations state:

•Broadhead widths must be at least 7/8-inch wide or expand upon impact to 7/8-inch.
•Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.
•It is unlawful to use explosive head arrows or arrows to which any drug, chemical or toxic substance has been added.

The distance thing would be a personal challenge more so than the gear that I carry.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Yes, I would check with local authority's.

I know 3 Federal Wardens that carry a ring and do check folks.

I agree don't believe everything that you read or hear when it comes to advertizing.

I had to chage broadheads a couple times hunting other States, it is a pain, but also the law.

I also respect your honesty and integrity. You are what keeps a higher respect for hunters then one who says don't worry about it and continue on.

Earl

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
ArrowAtomik,

Wyoming takes their game laws pretty serious in most areas. They travel the mountains horseback throughout the season and I do know some carry a ring to check broadheads.

Better check it out Tracy....let me know what you find out.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Tracy, check your pipe with a caliper. I just set a scope ring with a caliper to 1" and 36 woodsmans wouldn't go through it. Some of mine are the originals. All are 125 glue ons.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Not worth the downside. Find some larger heads that will work for you. Splitting hairs never works and is expensive.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Strutter:
I wonder if the wardens carry a grain scale to weigh the arrow and range finder to  measure the 160 yards for the bows that are questionable.  Anyone ever been checked this way?

Rob
If you got hooked up with the wrong warden, you would not believe the tickets they could come up with. Have to do your best to know the laws and abide by them. There are many types of illegal broadheads (alot of the mechanical heads are illegal - barbed hooks) but they still sell them in the states which you can't use them in.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
ASK,  some states measure ctr of ferrule to outside edge of one blade to get a radius then multiply x2 for the dia on multi blade.

Two and four blade are easy, three blade is all in how the state decides to measure.

All the internet conjecture in the world is uesless in court.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
one way to measure is to push the head through paper and draw a circle to the outside edge of the cuts.  Then measure it.

Thats how we used to do it in Washington state.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Shoot a bigger head and you won't have to spend another second worying about it. The difference in penetration between a sharp 1" three blade and a sharp 1 1/8" three blade couldn't be measuered. Now if you are already having penetration issues, then I'd think twice about 3 blades.

Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
I'm glad Missouri doesn't have any stupid laws like that, or at least none that I'm aware of?
I know there isn't a broadhead requirement.

Any warden that took one look at a 3-blade Woodsman or a 3-blade Snuffer should not have any doubts about it's killing ability, those broadheads or wicked! I use the 125gr. Snuffers myself.

However, you better find out for sure since your state has specific rules to govern them and some wardens may not give you a hard time, but it's the one that did would ruin your whole day.
Better to be legal and have the peace of mind to enjoy your hunting, than to be constantly looking over your shoulder all the time.

I am always a legal beagle so I never have to worry about it. I find it easier to relax and enjoy myself that way.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Tree Rat and Wingnut are both correct, there is a difference in "cutting width" and "cutting diameter". You have to be sure how it is stated in your States Regs. Better to be safe than sorry, some Game Wardens ca be real P#@#ks, believe me I know. By the way, you can now use serrated bladed broadheads in Ontario....Lloyd

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Maryland law is 7/8th so send them here and they will be fine...   :readit:  I can understand that you want to obey the Law and want to do what's right ...I sometimes wonder just who makes up them laws?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
I can see a game warden making you shoot a bow to see how far it carries if you had dubious equipment with you like oversized feathers, crooked arrows, etc.  You wouldn't believe what you see out in the field.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Probablt go to five different wardens and recieve 7 different answers. I do not mean this in a bad way, it is just the interpretation that each will use or how they will test it.

Get a couple different answers and if it is in the law then yes they will check.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I thought part of being an ethical hunter was being legal, not what you can do and not get caught at.. Shoot Snuffers, just as great a head and no question on cut size.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
A lot of these laws are out-of-date.  Many have been eliminated and others go unenforced unless the hunter is confrontational or the officer "knows" he has broken a law but can't prove it. However, it is our duty as hunters to know the rules and make sure we follow them. Having written that, I'll make sure to check my favorite broadheads before venturing forth into another state this year.

I've had my license checked in Wyoming, Ontario, and Indiana.  I've never had my equipment checked.

However, with the vast majority of these laws, we can blame our own (or our ancestors) for them. You can bet your bottom dollar some archery expert(s) was succcessful in getting his perception of ethical equipment written into the laws.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
7/8" that is a small game head in my book. Get a bigger one I shoot Simmons they work the best for me.LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©