3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2nd season rut ????  (Read 353 times)

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
2nd season rut ????
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I've been a little tardy with posting this. I hunt our old family homestead in south western PA. My dad and uncle like to hunt muzzleloader alot in after Christmas and I go along and take my recurve. This year I noticed something different while hunting. As I walked around I would see new fresh buck rubs. Then I saw more. Then more. Not only was I finding new rubs I found new scrapes and broken licking branches. Then I found more so I went to check this area where I would always find a scrape line. I wasn't disappointed! There was a line along a stand of pines that had 5 or 6 big new freshly tore up scrapes over a 200 yard span. I've seen this before in late October and early November, but never in early January!   :scared:    I've heard of a "post rut" or "second rut" before, but....  Is this something really rare or something we've just never seen on our property before???? We all only had doe tags left or I would've been hunting buck hard second season.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2nd season rut ????
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I'm from the same area as you and I can't say personally that there is much to the "2nd" rut.  I've actually seen a lot of rutting activity during our rifle season which as you know is always after Thanksgiving.  I'm sure there are a few deer that get bred late in the year, but imo nothing that I'd try strategizing a hunt around.

Offline Bengal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
My ol man and I have hunted Nebraska  during the late season the last four years and  have rattled bucks in a few days before christmas. We rattle and use bleats just like we do in November and have success doing it. Just depends when the does have their second cycle.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
When I lived in northern Illionis bucks would often go into a 2nd rut around the second week of December . Never any sign of a rut in Janurary thou .   :dunno:

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
A few years back I watched a doe with two fawns being harassed by a little basket eight point in the middle of December. He just wouldn't leave one of the little fawns alone and Mama put a whooping on him a couple of times. Watched the show for about 20 minutes until Mom finally ran him off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Sam, I know what you mean. It was really strange. Like you guys said, never have seen it in January. I wish I would've taken pictures to record/document it. We all puzzled. Not complaing haha just puzzled. My uncle did see a couple nice bucks from a distance as they trotted through the woods. Hopefully they'll stick around for awhile.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
As long as there are does that have not bread the rut will continue.  These does will come back in heat every 28 days until they breed.
   I was in Cades Cove, in the Great Smokey Mountains a few years ago in March and two domanent bucks were still chasing a few hot does. All the other bucks had lost their antlers but not these two. So, they were probably in their 4th rut for that season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
I see chasing and breeding almost every January in Ct

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©