3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last hunt of the year with pics...tell us about yours!  (Read 448 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Last hunt of the year with pics...tell us about yours!
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Well I have some family time scheduled tomorrow and got in my last deer hunt of the year. It was just a great night, saw a ton of deer, and although I REALLY wanted to shoot a deer the last sit, it didn't happen. I did find a very fresh monster rub on my way to the tree:

After bumping a couple of deer right near my tree I climbed aboard, buckled in, and nocked up. I had deer moving all afternoon and nearly pulled off a shot at a doe with her 3 button bucks. She came close enough but the angles were bad. Finally with plenty of shooting light left a group of bucks made their way perfectly to me with the NW wind. Sadly, no big uns in the bunch but what a treat. This guy showed. I know him well, and I am excited about a date with him next year. Here he is in October, then tonight (at least I think it was him) at point blank range.

The whole group worked on off, got a little buggy when they got crosswind and stiff-legged it out of there. All in all, a great night. I hustled home to fresh backstrap from my doe from a few nights ago. I love seasons when I just didn't get enough, and it stokes my fire for next year.

So tell us about your last bowhunt of the year. I love hunting stories, and it will be fun to read as winter wears on...only 80 more days to turkey season     :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last hunt of the year with pics...tell us about yours!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks Mike...great pix BTW!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Great pictures sir!  My last deer hunt won't be until next week in Alabama so i hope to have a story to tell then.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
My last deer hunt was 1/2 and ended in no deer seen, but a great evening to be out!

Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
I'm not done yet.... I'll follow up as things come to a close.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
New Years day was my last hunt.(end of our season)
It was my only hunt all year that one or BOTH of my boys were not with me. They stayed home and had paintball games with some friends in the woods near our house.

The wind was blowing hard, and the unseasonably warm temps had our snow melting fast. Fog was moving quickly through the trees.

Deer had been pawing the leaves and snow for leftover acorns, and I figured my spot to be good.

I was about fifty yards from a spot where I shot over a big late season doe 21 years earlier upon "returning" to a traditional bow. I can still see those big fat feathers spinning perfectly as they passed over her back by a foot. She actually snuck back to try and figure out what happened, but stayed facing me. When she finally swapped ends and bounced off, I was a quivering mess. That day was COLD, and I remember shivering violently, with a smile, ear to ear.

The gloom brought an early dusk, and I carefully climbed down, without seeing so much as a bird.

Three hours of sitting in an Oak tree, listening to the wind and remembering some of the tracks I`ve made. Not the end of the season, the beginning of the next.  :campfire:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Great story! I like that last phrase  :)  Might have to borrow that one!
Mike Davenport

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
good story. im deerless to. but i also have till feb 6 to get 1.
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
My last hunt ended with me letting a doe and 2 fawns walk right under my tree at about 12-14 yards, ya I letum walk they will be their next year. Next year will be my daughter Mattie's first year to hunt and one of those deer has her name on it.  (I HOPE)

doug77

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Took my 8 yr old out yesterday.  Moon chart said mid day moon, so we took our time and enjoyed the morning together.  The public land we decided to try out is 2 hrs away.  She got McDonald's for breakfast, we took an adventure walk to see the National Champion Cypress Tree that is on this NWR.  We were set up just after 10am.  She had been asking me to take her all week, but her ambitions ran thin after an hour in the stand.  "Dad when can we leave?"  I told her we would leave at noon.  Well after hearing that same question 4-5 different times in the hour. She finally lost interst in what time we were leaving and we got caught up in conversation.  Oh Crap its 12:02pm and we are still in the stand!!  I asked her if she wanted to leave and she quickly agreed.  I took my arrow off the string stood up to get everything together, and deer came running in everywhere!  4 deer ended up within 60 yds, and one was a spike chasing a doe!  He put on a show for my daughter.  From 12:02 to 12:50 we saw deer.  There was a half rack that came to check out the commotion but none came in close enough for a shot.  She kept telling me to feel her leg because it kept shaking.  It was great.  It was her "first time seeing a real deer!"  It was really a great experience!  I have until Feb 15th to hunt so I hope to fill my last two tags.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »

Wild Boar with my bear TD.Pics and story on PowWow in the next hours.
I took this one on Yesterday.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Just returned from my last hunt.  What a beautiful afternoon.  Clear blue skies, bright sunshine (finally!) and a nice fluffy layer of snow.  I spent the whole time just slowly walking around, stopping every 10-15 yds and soaking it in.  Didn't see anything but an opposum.  Ran into a couple young boys who were out hiking around.  Very nice young men, they apologized for messing up my hunt.  I told them they didn't mess up anything I was pretty much just walking aorund myself.  I was glad to to see the two buddies out having some fun in the outdoors rather than sitting behind the X-box.  Overall a good day to cap things off, already looking forward to next year.
Brought this back up for a quick edit - just noticed this was my 1000th post!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Had a good evening 5 does went around me.This is the stand that leatherneck and my self have killed many 140+ bucks out of.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
And my avatar buck.I love this stand.The high wall makes the deer walk down the edge.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Ended the deer season on Saturday and as usually my son and I stopped at the local cafe for eats before heading home. Inside we met our lease land owner sipping his first cup of coffee so joined to ponder the past, present and future of the season. He always tells us, if we would use a gun we would take a deer. I reminded him of the enjoyment we have in just being able to experience this great sport we have of traditional archery. Whether you harvest an animal or not there is so much you have taken from the opportunity. With an invitation to return we parted with great memories and plans for different hunting strategies in 2011.
Never wait too long!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Great look Ben! Nice buck too  :)  

Felix great boar. I am looking forward to the story amigo   :campfire:  

Keep 'em comin'. Enjoying them very much!
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©