3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who uses a chrono  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Who uses a chrono
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
I am thinking about buying a chrono. What are your thoughts/experiences?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Who uses a chrono
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
there was/is a similar thread on this.

my opinions on chrono's?  why bother?  seriously.  

other than to satisfy a curiosity, what does it mean to know yer arrow speed?  you don't need a speed reading machine to tell you if one arrow flies slower or faster outta one bow or another, just look at the trajectories between 15 and 20 yards.

imo, what absolutely matters most to a trad bowhunter is how consistent your accuracy with any given arrow of reasonable hunting weight (think: 9-10gpp at the least), how well that arrow flies (straight!), how sharp the broadhead (very!).  what else could really matter?

i say all of this after owning at least 4 chrono's at one time or another over the last 20-30 years, and selling or giving them all away.  what a waste of time and money.

ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
I have a chrono,but I think exactly like Rob,never used for my recurves. 30 yards is my maximum range I use heavy arrows good foc tough broadheads,who care for speed.Maybe on the league for 3D where you look for the flattest trajectory.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
I think a chrono can be a good tool if your are need the statistics to evaluate performance.   I have no problem with that.  I would guess that to those who are into design it can be a useful tool, to know if your efforts are going in the right direction.  I understand the need for gathering statistically significant data.  

To some that have a curiously scientific way of thinking it is an interesting statistic.  

Then again to others it can get to a point of "mine is bigger than yours" kinda thing.

At this point in my life "speed" is rather meaningless mainly because the bows I shoot are not significantly different from other bows on the market today.  In reality, the difference we may find between any two bows (2-3 fps)does not mean that much, at least to me.  

We all have bows, mated with arrows that will more than kill anything within reason.  We all like our bows because they are sweet, beautiful, forgiving, magnificent, traditional, manly, or for whatever reason we have chosen then.

We all have bows that, when we have become intimately familiar with their personalities, we begin to shoot with the greatest of degree of satisfaction because we can now "shoot where we look".  

To me, the flight of the arrow from the point where it leaves the shelf to where it strikes the target is a great experience.  That is not dependent on speed but our magical ability to feel the trajectory - to hit the mark.

Truly then, everybody's bow is the greatest if they think it is.     :thumbsup:

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
I love chronos.I don't own one but I've chronoed bows before and plan to get one.If you like to tinker and experiment get one.If you don't like to do that stuff don't get one.There's no good reason not to chrono a trad bow.I consider it part of an archers' tool bag like a spine tester or arrow saw.Not necessary to enjoy archery but good for going to the next level.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by vtmtnman:
... I consider it part of an archers' tool bag like a spine tester or arrow saw.Not necessary to enjoy archery but good for going to the next level.
"good to go to the next level" in what way?  

what does knowing the speed of an arrow do for you to better your shooting?

please help me understand your logic.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
I can see how it could be a useful tool for the bowyer, so that he could gauge the effects of even small changes in design and materials. But that said, I've been making bows for a long time and I don't have one   ;)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
I asked this question because I am into 3D archery. There are a lot of serious tournaments in The Netherlands/Belgium. I see that the tournaments become more difficulter each year.
Distances of 40 yards are quite common these days, and even up to 60.

Also the targets are more difficult to hit. Many times there are just small holes between the branches were you have to shoot trough in order to hit the target.

All this asks for fasts bows and a flat trajectory.

Besides of that, I think a chrono can tell you something about your form.
i.e. when you squeeze in the riser (a too firm grip) this will cost speed.
Not drawing at your lenght, will cost speed.

If your chrono is always giving the same results, I think that might tell something about your form.

An inconsequent form (different drawlenghts due to no proper anchoring and/or pulling trough or a too firm gip, like squeezing the riser) will give different readings I think.

Just my 5 cents....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
I use one. It is interesting to see the differences in strings, arrow weight, brace heigth, etc.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
FD,I know your point of you because here in Europe archers are more archers than bowhunters,so the best way for competitions is to use a very stable bow and really light arrows to have the flatter trajectory possible.This can hurts the bow but most competition shooters change their bows every year.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
W/O being argumentative: Vtmtnman's "next level" - i can see this being a valid pt. Assuming an inconsistent release influences speed (almost a guarantee), having a chrono woudl be one way to evaluate consistency of one's release. I doubt anyone would argue that a consistent release is a bad thing. I don't own a chrono but can see how it coudl be a tool (as easily as i can see how it could be a crutch).
just one opinion.
mgreen
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
I have used them mainly to check on consistency of my form.But it is fun to check the speed of bows.But I really haven't used it in a couple of years,played with it a lot when I first got it.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Aint gonna outrun the speed of sound.I worry about having a quiet bow.If you put a broadhead in the boiler it kills no matter how fast or slow the arrow is.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matt Green:
W/O being argumentative: Vtmtnman's "next level" - i can see this being a valid pt. Assuming an inconsistent release influences speed (almost a guarantee), having a chrono woudl be one way to evaluate consistency of one's release. I doubt anyone would argue that a consistent release is a bad thing. I don't own a chrono but can see how it coudl be a tool (as easily as i can see how it could be a crutch).
just one opinion.
mgreen
i don't see validity in using a chrono as an aide to shooting form/release evaluation.  have never heard of any archery coaches using a chrono as a training/evaluation tool.  would be surprised to hear of it's use as such.

all finger shooters will have a range of release mechanics that will always vary the released arrow's speed.  we're no where near the mechanical advantage of a machine release and there is a large amount of surface area and mixed tension of the fingers hanging on the center serving.  this alone varies the released arrow's speed.  at best, we try to attain an acceptable range of release motion to keep the arrow's speed within as small a range as possible.  this is known as 'good form'.  it takes a lot of release speed difference to matter at 50 yards let alone 15 yards.

so, it matters not what the precise arrow speed is a 3 yards, what does matter is any variance in the range of a released arrow's speed over a large number of shots taken.  can't see where constantly knowing the precise arrow speed can help as a coach's tool for release mechanics.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
what does knowing the speed of an arrow do for you to better your shooting?

please help me understand your logic.
I don't think knowing arrow speed helps my shooting too much, Rob. If I didn't have a chronograph already, I wouldn't buy one for archery. However, since I have one, I find it interesting and entertaining to compare the arrow speeds of bows of like draw weights, to observe the differences in arrow string material, and to observe the differences caused by increasing arrow weight. Guess I'm a bit of a numbers junkie!    :readit:

One thing my chrony has shown me is this: the more I think about my release, the more variation I see in arrow velocities. When I simply stop drawing and relax my fingers, my release is much cleaner. This isn't too much of a problem, though, because the only time I think about my release is when the chronograph is in front of me!  :D
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I don't have one and have never used one. I've often thought I would like to have one (for my PCP air rifle too)for fun. However, as I posted the last time I saw this topic, I fear I might find out something I didn't need to know that messed with my mind and caused me to cherish less one of my cherished beauties.

(I know, I could get sand in my eyes, ears, and nose.)

So, I'm going to resist again.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I have a PACT Professional that I bought about fifteen years ago for evaluating handloaded cartridge loads. I don't only shoot bows!

I find it fun to use as a tool to see the differences between bows with the same arrows, and different arrows out of the same bow. I don't regard its use as sacrilege, and push come to shove, velocity alone will never dictate which bow I take afield. There are too many subtle pros and cons in feel and fun factor to just base a choice on numbers. The choice falls to which is shooting best for me, and how confident I am in placing my shot with it.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I use a  chrono once in a while, for form trng. Great, IMO for evaluating the consistancy of ones release.  I can say that owning a chrono has only helped, never hurt, my shooing.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I have a PACT Professional that I bought about fifteen years ago for evaluating handloaded cartridge loads. I don't only shoot bows!

I find it fun to use as a tool to see the differences between bows with the same arrows, and different arrows out of the same bow. I don't regard its use as sacrilege, and push come to shove, velocity alone will never dictate which bow I take afield. There are too many subtle pros and cons in feel and fun factor to just base a choice on numbers. The choice falls to which is shooting best for me, and how confident I am in placing my shot with it.

Killdeer
Once again, well said Killy!
   :thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:

Killdeer
a righteous and proper perspective.  well said, kathy.  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©