3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who uses a chrono  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who uses a chrono
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Somehow it is fashionable to poo poo the 's' word; well not for me.
If I did not have one I'd get one-I mean why not? I make self bows and want to see the difference changes like recurved tips will make. If I can use it to tweak 15 fps out of the same bow/arrow combination that is a big deal. I can't increase my bow weight, and don't want to reduce arrow weight, so upping the efficiency is key. Speed is just a way to measure power what's so dirty about that? LOL

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I think there there is only one answer: everybody should enjoy her/his hobby as she/he pleases.......
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
I use one, Because I want to know what the speed of a bow is. I know that a chrono will vary, but it still gives you a good idea.

I like fast bows, and I really don't know what is so bad about that.

So why is wanting a fast bow so taboo among some trad folks?
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Good question!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
this is one of those subject matters best relegated to a conference call at worst case - it could take a volume of pages to deal with all the subtleties.  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
I agree  :)
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I think Rob just said "good bye thread!"    :bigsmyl:

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gen273:
I use one, Because I want to know what the speed of a bow is. I know that a chrono will vary, but it still gives you a good idea.

I like fast bows, and I really don't know what is so bad about that.

So why is wanting a fast bow so taboo among some trad folks?
There is nothing wrong with speed. I won't keep a slow bow either. I don't think Rob is saying something is wrong with having a chronograph and I know he is NOT saying efficiency isn't important. I think he is only saying it isn't a necessary piece of equipment to the average archer and that most archers would be better served into spending their time and/or money on other things...otherwise he wouldn't have said "Well said" in reply to my previous post.

Efficiency is indeed VERY important to traditional bows. In fact, I would venture to say it is more important in traditional bows than it is in compounds. The closer one gets to primitive equipment, the more important efficiency becomes as we become further away from overkill. For example, in terms of my 12 year old daughter who may only draw 24" and be shooting a bow that is 40#@28"...efficiency is EXTREMELY important.

That said, it isn't uncommon for some people to get rid of equipment that has already proven itself only because they found out their bow isn't as fast as they wished for.

If I had a bow that had already proven itself, I wouldn't get rid of it because I found something else faster. Instead, I would keep the old bow and buy 2nd bow that is faster...and ONLY after the faster bow proved accurate, quiet, durable, etc...then would I get rid of the old slow bow. Doing otherwise is somewhat running in circles chasing the holy grail. Because of this, some people love the chronograph and others hate it. In the end...it is just a tool. Use it for what it is.

Speed is ONE part of a bow, and while it is a part I require in terms of efficiency, it isn't the total package. Keep the chrono in perspective.

Efficiency is measured in not just speed...but in arrow weight, draw length, and draw weight. A great deal of 200+ fps posts get people into chasing things that are 1. not realistic with hunting set ups for the average draw length and 2. in fact may be counter productive to hunting as one begins to put speed on the pedestal...and then people begin pulling heavier and heavier bows or shooting lighter and lighter arrows in search for "male enhancement." (I am NOT referring to anyone in this post, but just the "nature of the beast" so to speak when it comes to a person's competitive nature to "one up" someone else.)

Instead, put common sense back in charge. Speed is great...as long as it is reported in terms of efficiency (arrow weight, pull weight, draw length) and is not the only attribute of the bow.

I think most of us here can understand and agree with what I have said.

In the end, if you want a chrono...get one. No harm is done in such, but just use it as a tool to 1. measure ONE PART of a bow's performance and 2. to work on your form.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I think Rob just said "good bye thread!"     :bigsmyl:  
no no - just saying what i said, that this topic is best explored in a voice chat rather than a whole buncha typing.  

anyhoo - what lee said!  again!    :thumbsup:

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Well said Lee!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
I own one still from my compound days but since I've been a Trad shooter for 2 years now the only reason I use mine is to test my self.

Here's the deal, any video of my self is done from my camera on a tripod, any other tools that help me verify that I'm being consistent with my shooting form & shooting is done by my own means which comes into play of the chronograph.

I know that with each arrow I may have a slight variance in speed due to the +/- 2gr. difference but as long as the speed is within 5 FPS of all 6 arrows I shoot in a string, I know that I'm being consistent & therefore doing my best.

Otherwise my chrono just sit's in it's box collecting dust.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Pride to one up someone else can indeed be a downfall of mankind...and archery isn't free of such nature as we try to discover who is the fastest. That said,...I already know I am the fastest. HA HA HA...  :biglaugh:         :deadhorse:  

Seriously, we just need to keep things in perspective.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I have a buddy that actually sold a bow after he put it on a chrono. He killed a ton of game with it but when he saw how slow it was he sold it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by jax:
I have a buddy that actually sold a bow after he put it on a chrono. He killed a ton of game with it but when he saw how slow it was he sold it.
is that not dumb or what????    :dunno:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

quote:
Originally posted by jax:
is that not dumb or what????     :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I have a very accurate and consistent chrono that I bought back in the '90s, I think. I used to use it heavily when I reloaded ammo and with wheelie bows when I shot them. I drag it out ever once in a while for trad bows just to see where I'm at and to compare bows with each other. I like an efficient bow. I don't go for speed, in the sense of the word, but efficiency, as in performance with a semi-heavy arrow. Yes, if I were to shoot a light weight arrow it would be fast. BUT, I choose to hunt with heavier arrows in my high performance bow for one reason: penetration on game. And, it's a definite plus that my high performance bow is very manageable, quiet(with a couple of wool silencers added), and accurate as well. I also choose to use the exact same arrows(save for broadheads attached of course) for 3D events as I use for hunting. No, my setup isn't real flat shooting past 20-25 yards, but when hunting season rolls around, I know how my bow shoots and I am ready for whitetails. I don't win many 3D events with a heavy arrow setup but I can hold my own with most shooters. My chronograph can help to tell me if anything has changed with my setup or my shooting, it's that precise.

Sorry for rambling on!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Lee,
Well said, and I agree.

Rob,
I understand what you are saying as well.

I would like to say thank you to both of you for your info, it is men like you guys and many others that make this site great!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
No matter how fast or slow a bow is the arrow will probably get there before you could run the distance. Why bother with the speed? If your consistent then your bow will be and that is what really matters. IMO...

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Save your money, find someone you know with one.I just dont think most people would use it enough to make it worth it.

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Quote from eariler post:  [[at best, we try to attain an acceptable range of release motion to keep the arrow's speed within as small a range as possible. this is known as 'good form'. it takes a lot of release speed difference to matter at 50 yards let alone 15 yards.]]

(sorry i'm not sure how to Bold the previous post)
Explanation:
The RANGE is a statistical measure calculated from a set of numbers - If there is a a range that is considered acceptable OR if a smaller range is better (as implied by post) THEN by default something has to generate the set of #'s used to calcualte the Range - hence enters the chrnograph!!  I still am not contending a holy grail - only that it could be used as a tool to assess the consistenty (not even correctness - just consistency) of the release.
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©