3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyotes  (Read 474 times)

Offline Buckskin57

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyotes
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Hot topic of discussion at Yankee Sportsman Classic 2011 in Vermont,coyotes and logging really hurting deer populations along with doe overshooting in N.Y.,N.H.,VT.,ME.
JEREMIAH 16:16 / BEAR SUPER KODIAK /GRAYLING GREEN.

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I live close to Albany & coyotes are so bad that if you let a deer sit overnite so as not to push it within hours the paunch is chewed out ----Our deer #'s are down our winters for the last 5 years have been very mild--coyotes r killin us!!

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I live close to Albany & coyotes are so bad that if you let a deer sit overnite so as not to push it within hours the paunch is chewed out ----Our deer #'s are down and  our winters for the last 5 years have been very mild--coyotes r killin us!!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Sounds like you need to do some trapping or calling

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
We've got them a'plenty hereabouts.  What's a good blown call for coyotes?  

I take them when I see them (occasionally with a scoped .223 I see them pretty far off) but need to learn to call them in to bow range.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Stumpkiller they all work. Just get a rabbit call and go out and sound like your a rabbit being torn up. You can make other sounds with a rabbit call. deer bleats,chicken, grouse ect. Just get one and get out there and try. I realy do not think they care what you sound like.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
We have a lot around here.  Our logging is not heavy enough to do damage in the mid-coast, the logging has been an issue up north with the yarding areas. I have tried calling, but no lick yet.  Our dogs seem to range a lot and are really cautious.

Here is an in-town dog we caught on a game camera.  Three years ago I had to leave a deer over night.  the coyotes left me enough to get a shoulder mount.

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
We have a bunch of them this year. I saw eight different times coyotes chasing deer. The problem is its usually right at prime time when I think the big bucks should  be moving. Ha!  On saturday I had eight does and fawns coming down the trail at me. I passed up a button buck and the next in line was a nice doe. As I prepared to shoot, the group scattered as 4 coyotes ran up.  I quickly chipped at them and got this one to come close.
Mike

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Nice one.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Good going Mike.I actually saw two while bowhunting yesterday and almost got a shot at one.Yotes with a traditional bow are a great trophy.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Great Job Mike!!

That's what guys should be doing rather than complain about coyotes being the root of all evil. If you have too many, then put as much into coyote hunting as you would deer hunting and thin them down some.

As far as logging goes, I've seen logging actual benefit the deer rather than hurt them. Especially if the tops are left down there are many places for deer to hide and the canopy opening up creates a ton of browse for them to winter on.
You won't see as many because of the thick under growth that springs up from taking out some of the canopy, but they are still there. You'll just have to refine your hunting skills to adapt to the thick cover and close shots are the only shots.

In Missouri the MDC actually do what they call "Clear Cuts" where the mature trees are removed to open up the area so browse can thrive once again. It's thick and hard to hunt, but it works and the deer absolutely love it!
I've found the easiest way to hunt in that type of cover is to hunt the edges where the trails go in and out, or find a small opening inside the sea of tangles and you Will see deer beleive me.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
The chainsaw can certainly be a deer hunters friend.  The problem in the northern states is that areas that regularly receive 2+ feet of snow for several months need yarding areas for the deer to make it through the winter.  In the last 10 years in Northern Maine the logging companies have not been respectful of the some of the major (and minor) deer yards, and harvested the timber.  This has led to a dramatic increase in winter kill. Couple this with the coyotes and the herd has been challenged to recover. the deer and the coyote picture both came from one of our expanded archery zones, because it is a small city that has a no firearm discharge law.  In my more rural area there are several people who bait all winter, and another crew that runs them with dogs.  Both have been successful in decreasing the amount of coyote sign I run across.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
I have taken 8 coyotes with a recurve. They are a great challenge. Mike

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Mike:

Your a one man yote killin machine....  LOL

8, thats great man....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »

Here are a couple that are gonna have to be taken out.One actually slipped in behind me yesterday when I was checking this trail cam but I was unable to get a shot with my bow.I havent seen many with this color phase.The 2nd one is the black object located more to the left center of the picture.It had passed by the camera moments earlier.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Boy that's a pretty one there Dave!
I'd like to get that one tanned for sure!

Maybe you should get back out there with the calls and shotgun?
I know I sure would, especially if you want to take some out and that's all that matters to ya.
If you are only after sport and intend to do it with a bow, then I can totally understand that too. Then I'd put some bait stations out and sit on them for a bit.

Dang Mike.....You Da Man!
8 coyotes with a recurve, that's almost unheard of. You most definitely have the coyote Mojo!!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Junglecat, that beast would have me out daily til I caught up with it, kinda like Moby Dick. That would be a full body mount for sure.My bud got one loke that last year and had a open mouth rug done.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
way cool!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
i just picked up a howler call today, il be working on them..im sure its gonna get frusteating though...  :help:

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Junglecat, that beast would have me out daily til I caught up with it, kinda like Moby Dick. That would be a full body mount for sure.My bud got one loke that last year and had a open mouth rug done.
Both of those and any others are on my list.I have a predator call,rifles,shotgun,and bows.That pic is taken of my food plot where I deer hunt some as well as turkey hunt.I have killed 3 gobblers right in that spot in past years.That is what I meant when I said they had to go.I would love to get one of them with a bow but I know how difficult those things are to get drawn on with a bow.Its more important to me that they get eliminated than the method used to get them.I am sure it would benefit the turkey and fawn population in the spring.Thats part of the home farm where I grew up.I live 60 or 70 miles from there though I visit it regularly as I am part owner of the property.Since coming home today calls and decoy have already been taken out of storage,checked out and ready to go.Deer season ended here today.Already got in mind to head after them and I know there are others around as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©