3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where do poor men go to hunt moose?  (Read 588 times)

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
Where do poor men go to hunt moose?
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Some buddies and I have talked about hunting moose for a couple years now. However, with a wife and 3 kids to support, where does the average working man go to hunt moose?

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where do poor men go to hunt moose?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
huh.....I know of some roads and secondary highways here in Mass where you got a good chance of hitting one if you got a good push bumper on your rig!  :rolleyes:    Few years back,  I took pics with a disposable camera....had 5 of them,  all babes and cows underneath me and my stand.  Awesome pics,  as they came closer and closer everytime the flash would go, like they were attracted to it!  Moose crossing sings all over these parts.
Mass would rather have people hit them with vehicles (happens all the time here!) than hunt and harvest any of them   :saywhat:

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Maine is cheap once you get the permit. It's road excessable to good moose populations. You can camp, and you don't need a guide.
greg ketchum

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
I feel your pain ! A moose hunt is my dream hunt and its a hunt that I will never get to experiance because of my shallow pockets !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Went to Quebec in 2009 and going back in 2011. Stay in the outfitters lodge and have access to 35 sq miles of private land. Plenty of moose but it's thick and they have noses like blood hounds. You bring your own food and do your own cooking but have a nice warm camp and shower waiting for you each night. Hunt cost $1500.00 includes license (one moose per 2 hunters). Not a Newfoundland type hunt but I loved it.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
I've been checking also. I've found $3,500-4,000 in Newfoundland with highest moose densities on the planet. On the other end of the scale is a Mckenzie River hunt in the Yukon for $18,900.  Having yet to spend even $1 on a guide or outfitter to date, I've not pursued my Moose dreams either. I'm sure these hunts are worth the money if you have it.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I've been putting in for Maine for 25 years. Nothing. A guy we shoot 3D with put in a few years ago and got one. Then didn't go.
Yeah.......didn't go.
I'll second Newfoundland, my friend took a whopper a few years back. I hunted woodland caribou there, one fun hunt for sure, I'd look into it.
The Quebec hunt sounds awfully tempting at that price. Only hunted bear there about 20 years ago, so I can't give input.
David M. Conroy

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Cheapest you'll find I'd say-

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/hunttrap_lottery.cfm

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/

I went on my first moose hunt last season here in VT about an hour and change from the house here and it was a time.We lucked out and got a freak snow storm so we got to track one.Turned out to be a 616# cow.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by LookMomNoSights:
huh.....I know of some roads and secondary highways here in Mass where you got a good chance of hitting one if you got a good push bumper on your rig!   :rolleyes:     Few years back,  I took pics with a disposable camera....had 5 of them,  all babes and cows underneath me and my stand.  Awesome pics,  as they came closer and closer everytime the flash would go, like they were attracted to it!  Moose crossing sings all over these parts.
Mass would rather have people hit them with vehicles (happens all the time here!) than hunt and harvest any of them    :saywhat:  
You have to be over in the Berkshires...some of the best moose country is just up and across the line in Bennington/Windam counties in VT.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I saw a cow and a calf over there last summer. Crossed in front of me.

Rich,  what is it like drawing tags in those 3 states?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
GREAT INFO GUYS, THANKS

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Not too far!  Im 10 mins from N.H......North West MA.  Plenty of Moose!  Should be managed!

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Not a guided hunt but they will send you the right way. There is a group of AMericans that have went here for years with good success, I think from Illinois. Owners are American too.
 http://www.wildgooselake.com/

Offline Derwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
My dream hunt is also moose - great info.  Thanks.
"Derwood"

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Not a guided hunt but they will send you the right way. There is a group of AMericans that have went here for years with good success, I think from Illinois. Owners are American too.
 http://www.wildgooselake.com/

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I saw a cow and a calf over there last summer. Crossed in front of me.

Rich,  what is it like drawing tags in those 3 states?
I can't tell you for sure Charlie.I've heard alot of different experiences.Like Yornoc said he's been putting in for 25 with no luck and some others have got two or three tags in that time.I've heard the same of locals around here.Before they had the 3 year wait for VT I knew a guy that got a tag,waited the year then got another one.I've yet to draw one but I've been off putting in for a few years.

They just proposed an archery only moose season (put over the rut(Which is hilarious they can figure that out for moose season and not deer...but I digress...  :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:  )but there will be 50 either sex permits and archers will be able to choose the unit they want.Probably most will choose E ,as it has the highest density.I want L or P as I like short drives to my hunting area and would be able to stay at home.The down side is there will be no atv useage as that's National forest.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
NH, Maine and VT all have lotteries. The applications should be ready real soon.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
bigugly,
The price is sure right. $825 for a bull and calf tag for two hunters which includes the lodging.  

I bear hunted (DIY) in Ontario during the mid-80's when you didn't have to have a guide. I saw moose every year (spring).

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
My dream trip for Alaska moose will have to be something I save for, probably after the kids are out of school. I wouldn't mind going to Canada or one of the Northeastern states though. I'd like to be able to do some paddling though.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
N.Idaho

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©