3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: gasket lacquer question?  (Read 230 times)

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
gasket lacquer question?
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
I bought an Eco-dipper and gasket lacquer last summer and so far have used it on cedar, sitka spruce, and german pine shafts.  I'm really pleased with the finish.  I have been running a shaft through the gasket, hanging it in the rack, doing the next shaft, etc.  then after the last one I go back and do them all again, hanging them in the rack after each coat, till they all have 3 coats.

here's my question - do you think it would be all right to just run each one through 3 times before hanging it in the rack, thereby only handling each shaft once?  or is that 10 minutes or so drying time between coats important?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: gasket lacquer question?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I think it would drip off and leave you no better coverage than one coat.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
It won't drip off. The amount of finish left on the shaft after the gasket is too little, too thick, and dries too fast.
I've done something like what you propose when I'm trying some new art on just one shaft. I dip once, wave in the air for a couple seconds, dip again, wave, dip, wave, dip. I haven't noticed anything bad happening to the finish done in that manner.
However, I will say that I normally do all the first dip on all the arrows, then the second on all the arrows, etc. I haven't tried the dip, dip, dip method enough to give a solid for sure, can't go wrong, answer.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »
The first couple of coats dry almost instantly. Successive coats take a little longer to dry each time, but still only a couple of minutes. I think it's important for the finish to dry completely between coats.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
thanks guys.  it's not so much the time, but the extra handling I was trying to avoid, because one of my rubber gloves gets pretty well gunked up with lacquer.  but better safe than sorry, I will continue to hang them in the rack between coats.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©