3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How effective are Cat Whiskers as a string silencer?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How effective are Cat Whiskers as a string silencer?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
There was an article a while back in Traditional Bowhunter about the effectiveness of various types of silencers.  The author measured the sound with a decibel meter and speed with a chronograph.  If I remember right, beaver silenced the string the best while at the same time had the lowest reduction in arrow speed.
I read the same article. You are correct that Cat Whiskers proved to be the most effective of the string silencers that were tested.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
How much speed you loose compared to other silencers depends on some variables (surprise)--how big/long they are and/or how much they weigh, where they are on the string, etc.  1-2 fps is nothing--a normal release varies by that much or more.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I use the Heavy Duty whiskers on all my bows. Work real well...you don't want to add too much weight on the string.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
From my experience cat whiskers are great silencers. I Read an article in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine that did a study on them. According to the article The rubber silencers are the best are absorbing vibrations which is the cause of the noise. They also went on to say that the rubber did not absorbe any moisture or sent, which make them better in my own opinion as well. This is a personal preference becasue there are a lot of accomplished hunters that use different types of silencers.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
I use cat whiskers on a couple bows and also Beaver fur all the bows are quiet. I like the look of the beaver fur. I wouldn't worry about the loss of speed with either one. I think a 500-600 grain arrow will slow it more   :biglaugh:
USMC 82-86

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©