3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinion on late season meat  (Read 965 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinion on late season meat
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Well with 14 days left in the season my taste buds are acting like a little devil on my shoulder. The night before last I had a small doe come in and hang all night and wouldn't leave,and almost every time out I have had small does in and did not shoot them.But as the season draws to an end I find myself thinking about taken one(got no deer this season).I haven't been hunting as much as I wish,so the temptation is strong.So what is your opinion on taking smaller does this close to the end of the season.Do I do a brown and down hunt? or do I let them live to hunt them another day. What would you do?    :dunno:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinion on late season meat
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Meat is meat, and the small ones are the most tender.  It i a decision only you can make, but if season is winding down and your freezer is empty I would be trying for the small ones who were offering themselves.  Besides, don't you get to take more than one deer in Jersey?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Michael, In my area we have endless doe's I am aware it is my choice but I like to get opinions to make me feel better.   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
If the deer herd in your area is overpopulated (which unlimited doe tags certainly suggests) you would actually be doing your part in helping to manage a heathly herd by taking some of them out.  We can't claim to be good stewards of the land if we shoot bucks only in areas that are over run with deer.  
Shoot away, and enjoy the feast!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I agree with the others, Take a DOE

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I always have high hopes for big bodies and antlers, but I am at heart a meat hunter, so I don't pass good shots up.  I think Whip made an important point as well.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
I don't understand...Your a bowhunter who's out there to kill something, you want meat, haven't killed a deer yet this season...why would you not shoot one??

I can never understand when "we" have to justifiy something for "you" type threads    :dunno:  

The answer lies within....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
My opinion?  I would take one or two of the little ones if my freezer was empty.  And if the population numbers warrant it.  Up here in my area, the herd numbers seems to be lower than, say, 10 years ago, so I would be hesitant.  A lot of our smaller deer don't make it through our harsh winters.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
A young doe always tastes better than an unused tag....
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I would give all of my teeth for an opportunity to gum a doe-fawn backstrap. Now stop diddlin' around and HUNT.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Everyone before me pretty much said it all......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
What Killie so eloquently said.   :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I agree with Whip on this one, if your deer numbers are out of balance and there's too many does in the area you hunt.....hence the unlimited doe permits.......What are you waiting for?
A sign from God himself?    :rolleyes:  

He's already given you plenty of signs by sending all those deer to you within shooting range and each time you don't let an arrow fly!    :thumbsup:

*note*
I would also like to add that shooting a big bodied deer this time of year would not be a good idea anyway.
#1) It could be a buck that lost his head gear
#2) It's probably a mature doe with twins in her belly.

But if you got small does coming in and offering themselves for your freezer, I'd swap places with you in a heartbeat!!
Wouldn't take me long to make up my mind, first one gets close enough is gonna catch an arrow!  :archer2:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
IMHO an old doe is one of the smartest creatures in the woods and she will be "on" all year long, whereas bucks lose alot of their edge when the rut kicks in.  I'll take a doe every chance I get.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Ever seen that cartoon with 2 buzzards that says "Patience hell I am gonna kill something!"...apply here, kill something and celebrate the flesh!
Mike Davenport

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I'm don't know your preferences but when I order a steak at dinner I'll take a 8oz. bone in Porterhouse before a 16 oz. chuck steak every time! I'd rather let a doe  walk and take her fawn or yearling because I know the doe is a breeder who knows how to rear young. That fawn has a tough winter ahead and is the last one to get at a prefered food source, let alone reach above the  browse line in a wintering yard. Pick a spot Brother!

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Late season early season they all eat for me as long as the population is good.  Time to put food on the table.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
No problem shooting a late season doe.  My only coment here is make sure you look it over good and it is not a button buck, which are offen small lone deer late season.  I have made that mistake before and it disapoints me that i wont get a chance to see what he could develope into.  But in the end meat is meat. I passed a lot of doe this year and by the end I was hopeing for one and it didnt pan out the last couple of days.  I got one early but there is still room in the freezer.  Take one!
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I have no problem taking a late season doe.  I don't want the old ones but the young ones are great.
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
a little deer in the freezer is more filling than tag soup. no matter how small the deer is.
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©