3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinion on late season meat  (Read 964 times)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinion on late season meat
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
If you have lots of deer, the best thing you can do for your deer herd is shoot a young doe.

Lots of deer is a good thing...deer in range of an arrow is a GREAT thing.

Early season will find me shooting any adult deer that comes within range. I pass the little ones. Late season brings about a change in me.
If I have a tag, NOBODY should get too close!  :D

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Threads like this remind me just how MUCH bowhunting has changed in my lifetime. 35 years ago before it was called "trad" the national average was 5 years to make your first kill. ANY deer killed with a bow was a trophy! Makes you wonder. With that said changes are a good thing I guess.

For what it's worth I consider myself a farmer, only my live stock roams free and wild. If my stock of doe numbers are down I sure don't shoot my breeding stock, the ones who are proven breeders. If I take her out I've just shot three deer, now if the numbers are good I would. However most times I take the yearlings as that's the best meat and it's that years surplus if I'm meat hunting. Just my ramblings but I miss the good ol days when ANY deer killed with a bow was a trophy!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 02:28:00 AM »
I would agree with the message you are getting.  Seems logical to kill if that is why you are out there....

Nice thing about you and the wildernesss is you get to make the decision.  To kill or not to kill - it doesn't matter either way and it should not bother anybody what you choose to do.  

I understand why you are getting heat but it is no big deal.  Don't worry about what other people think.  Just do what is right and legal...

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
I shoot what the Good Lord puts in front of me.  I wouldn't hesitate at all.
me too gave up horn hunting and find I enjoy my days afield much more and eat better

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Way to Represent Joe!
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
It's all a personal choice to me. I see nothing wrong with a person choosing "what is a trophy" for their self. I killed a doe a few weeks ago and have had some different reactions from local shooters(all wheelie's). Some were very happy for me others laughed that I would even shoot a doe, some even seemed offended. I went though a real greedy stage hunting horns for a few years. I have let bigger deer and elk walk by than I have ever even killed. I had two hunters one day give me a 20 min lecture for passing up a 350" class bull elk that I had walk into a close 15 yards. They had watch me work the bull in from another ridge with there spotting scope and had come over to help me with the bull they tought I had shoot. I had passed this bull up because I was seeing alot bigger bulls in the area. When I finally did get close to a big bull (400" class) I missed!. After that year I have had a different prosective on my trophy hunting. The following year for the frist time ever I filled all my tags. I killed a cow elk ,3x3 mulie and a average antelope. It made for a awsome year. I think it is up to the hunter to make the choice on what to kill but for myself I don't mind shooting what's in front of me anymore. Let the arrows fly!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I would take one.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I'd give my left nut to still be hunting. I live In a one tag area and wouldn't hesitate to shoot a doe fawn or doe.

Best of luck In whatever you do.

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
@lpcjon2 - I know exactly what you mean.  I'm in a similar situation.  I got a very late start this year and have no meat in the freezer.  I've had 2 shot opportunities this year.  One on the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods and one on a very small doe.  There were two small branches between me and that buck and a perfect shot, would have taken him.  But, a near perfect shot might have wounded him.  I let him walk hoping to see him another day and never did.  I also passed on the small doe.  I just don't feel right shooting little ones.  No regrets on this end for passing either of them up.  Not saying anyone who would have taken a shot is wrong, but that's just how I feel.  Stick to what your conscience tells you and sleep well at night.

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Ill shoot a small doe over a big breeding doe especially this late in the season, if you shoot a big breeder doe you could take up to four deer technically, there was a post not to long ago of a guy who shot a big doe field dressed it and it has 3 fawns in the womb... Plus smaller does taste better  :D

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I'll toss my vote in with the late season/early season/any season take what comes at you folks.  If a good shot opportunity arrives I never look a gift backstrap in the mouth.  The one exception is on any opening day I wait just in case Mr. Big might amble on by before the woods are disrupted by the camo clan and blaze army and he switches to nocturnal mode.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
If there is an over population of deer, than I shoot any doe that gives me a shot. I am fond of the tender meat and easy drag of a small one, but I'm not picky. I try and not take button bucks or small/young racked bucks, but for meat a doe is a doe to me. To each his own though. You have to make the call for yourself

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Deer, it's whats for dinner!  I guess you know my answer.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I learned a long time ago to take what the woods offers you.You are being offered young doe and with the season coming to an end and a empty freezer why not take one.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
you waited way longer than i would have for a doe, good eating

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
If shooting a small one is going to bother you, then don't shoot it. Nothing worse than killing something then regretting it after.

If you think your area is over-populated with deer,(is there a browse line for instance?), then that should make your decision easier. Where deer are truly over-populated, killing any doe is the right thing to do, even if it means being a bit coldhearted...
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Scare it my way, I'd be more than happy to shoot at it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Thank you Guru.

Users currently browsing this topic: