3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quiver users  (Read 978 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back Quiver users
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I worked on a weekend project and finished it yesterday. I have a leather supplier near me. I go there regularly and buy from their scrap bin. There was a piece of thick saddle skirting leather in there that just called out to be a back quiver.

I got it home and laid out some mental plans and started cutting and thinking of how I wanted the shape. I had enough left over for the bottom cup of the quiver out of the same 1/4 inch thick leather. This stuff is t-h-i-c-k. I bought a strap and brass buckle to allow adjustment of the shoulder strap.

After sewing and figuring I came up with this.

It's still a little wet from the wet forming. It holds alot of arrows. I still need to line the top with some fur I have and foam the bottom.

I can get it to sit on my back pretty good but need to work on drawing arrows smoothly. My concern I guess is that I'm not very flexible. I never have been.

Has anyone else used a back quiver with some flex concerns? How'd you overcome it?

I plan on oiling this one to even out the color but not too much that it'll transfer to my clothes. I might take this one deer hunting. It will definitely go into the woods for stumping and squirrel.

If you back qiver users can help a new user out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quiver users
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Looks like you did a nice job.....   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Take the arrows out and sit on it. You have to soften it up some. The first quiver I built was too stiff and that makes it a pain to use. Arrows will fall out when you bend. My second one came out perfectly, not too stiff and not too soft, and I loved it for hunting. Sadly, it was stolen.

You do plan to dye it, no?

Nice job. Very nice stitching. Leather projects are great winter time fun. Consider using leather string through the middle to act as a divider (near the top).

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Very nice looking, congrats!
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Do you have an industrial sewing machine. Your work is really tight & nice. I'd put a fur collar around the top lip hanging down the outside & inside around 2" deep. You have right to be proud. Very nice.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Nice job,congrats.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
That looks good!  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Very nice!

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Bud,
Nice work. I have made a few that were laced together.  I too have some trouble with drawing the sticks out.  I am right handed, so as I reach with my right hand over my shoulder, I use my left elbow to push the bottom of the qiver back and up. This will push the nocks forward toward your right hand.   I also made mine so that the arrow nocks are kind of off the point of my right shoulder.   One thing about stretching to reach them, it improves your flexibility.
Again, well done!
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Very Nice.I am looking for a deeper back quiver and may have to make my own.That gives me hope.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
looks good..damp the leather slightly and oil it and as your oiling it..use a hair dryer on low and heat it into the leather..by doing this...you will perserve it and you wont need to worry about as the oil will stay on and it will be little more flexible..you can add montana pitch blend to it and it will last forvever..you can also put it the couch and sit on it for a few days and more you use it..the more supple it can become...good luck...it looks great
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. It's going to take some getting used to for sure. I need to do some stretching exercises I guess.

I took it into the woods today just messing around. It isn't a good one to take through thick pines. I kept getting hung up on the lower dead limbs of the pines. In the open woods it was great. I'm still trying to develop a technique for getting the arrows out. Hopefully it'll come with time.

I'll post up some more photos when I get it closer to the finished product.

Thanks again.

Bud

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Bud, that's a fine looking quiver to be sure! Back quivers take some getting used to but, stick with it as they are unique once you get the hand of it.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Nice job!!!
bolong

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm impressed. Can you post the dimensions and pattern for this if you're willing? I'd like to try making one for myself

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Thats really fine. Beat it up, step on it, stick it under your mattress and such and Ill bet it softens up enough for you.Regular usage with get it to darken from sweat, rain, dirt and the like. That looks like it will last forever.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
I'll make some measurements when I get home. No pattern. All in the gray matter.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
The quiver is 19.75" tall with a 16" circumference at the top and 12" circumference at the bottom. I cut an oval form out of a 1" thick pine board for the bottom and wet formed the leather to it and nailed the leather down for a cupped shaped bottom. The blackened spots on the bottom section are from the nails I drove through the leather and into the pine form. Once that dried I removed the nails and cut another pine form to fit inside the bottom of the quiver itself. I then placed the cup over the quiver bottom and then drove the same nails back into the same holes which punched the holes for the quiver body. The pine form inside kept the shape while I drove in the nails.

Sewing it was a booger. My hands aren't real small so getting the baseball stitch inside the quiver seam was tough. The bottom stitching was equally challenging.

The strap was just a straight cut strap from Zach White Leather Company in Ramseur, NC. The buckle is a simple solid brass. I had a spare concho from other leather projects and used it backwards on the strap bottom. A leather punch cut the holes in the top part of the strap.

Scrap leather = $8

Leather strap = $6.50

Brass buckle = $1.59

Cheap project if you ask me. I watched football while stitching, and stitching, and stitching....

If you do something similar, just remember to oval the top outward and oval the bottom inward. A straight cut across wouldn't fit properly.

Offline Okie man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Nice work. When you get into the low hanging limbs and brush, grab the bottom of the quiver with our left hand and tuck it up under your left arm till you make it through the brush. It keeps from tearing  up the fletching and nocks and getting hung up. It works for me anyway.
When the moment of truth arrives, the time for preparation has passed

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Okie man, that's the same way I do mine when in thicker vegetation. Works just fine and then you just shift it back up when clear.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©