3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF bows for hunting?  (Read 612 times)

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF bows for hunting?
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
I don't have any experience with ILF bows at all, but I have been thinking about trying one out.  I was wondering how tough they were, specifially the attachment point at the limbs.  It sounds like they don't really bolt down solidly?

Would you guys trust them in nasty, backcountry type hunts?  I love the idea of being to switch limbs, adjust tiller, etc..., but I mainly hunt so reliability is more important to me than those other things.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF bows for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
They're are as solid as any other bow,I've never had a problem with mine.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
No troubles here either. once they are strung,they behave similar to the attachment
used on a compound bow.( I hate to use that as
a referrence.)
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
They are very solide. I've had one two years and have had no problems what so ever. This past season I carried one for 20 strait days of hunting. Rain, on a camping trip, on the atv, through brush, not one problem. The metal risers in my opion are just about indestructable. I love them. I have went through 30 bows the last three years and the two I am going to keep are both ILF bows.

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
I'm not sure where the idea that ILF set up's are fragile came from.But i know its wrong.I've had every thing from a warf i did myself to olympic style metal risers to a couple of Morrison pieces of art.And have had zero problems with any of them.Alot of guy's think ILF is just metal riser's.But there are more and more traditional looking riser's being offerd all the time.Take a look at Sky,Morrison and dryad.They are all makeing very nice wood and metal riser's.If you find a riser and a couple sets of limbs that suit you. Your pretty well set for life.I would have no problem hunting anywhere anytime with a good quality ILF set up.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
They are really solid and tough. Once stung they are as tough as any other recurve or longbow. I would take one anywhere on a hunt. I have 3 and they are fantastic. My favorite is my Morrison mini 13 metal riser. No need for me to look further, the mini 13 is perfect. May sell my others.

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Love mine,  just need a camo dipped one now.
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Sounds good!  Like I said I have zero experience with them, but hopefully I can check one out before too long.

Is there any real difference between the metal and wood risers?  I like the look of the Morrison wood ILF.  Are they solid wood or a metal riser with a wood "blanket"?

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
The 3Rivers Dalla has a bolt on limb. It uses ILF limbs but a special bushing can be attached to the limbs in about 5 minutes making the connection a bit more solid. I have a DAS that I have had for about 5 years. It is the precursor to the Dalla and uses the same attachment mechanism. I can mount any ILF limb on the riser after changing out the bushing.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
It is mostly preferrence kahunter. with metal
you can shoot an elevated rest,add a berger
button,have quivers that mount to the riser,sights,etc. the wood is solid wood.they are
warmer in your hand I think. it mostly depends on
the shooter what they will like best.

Offline Paul B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
My Black bear gets some rough treatment, no problems yet. If it won't take that it's no good!
Howatt Hunter 50#
Black Bear Warf 46#
1965 Pearson Locksley Tiger recurve 41#

"If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus , and shalt believe in thine heart that God has raised Him from the dead thou shalt be saved." Rom.10:9

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Well I took an ILF bow to Alaska on a back county Moose hunt.  I guess I trust them fine.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I really like mine.  Very sturdy and real shooters.

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Is there a good resource online for setting up an ILF bow?

Offline Grizzly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
The only negative I've run into with a couple Warfs is if a limb that uses foam instead of wood warps, you cant repair it or bend it back to shape.  Had this happen to one set.  I put a little shim under it which helped, but if you go to the olympic bow sites, you will probably read once in a while about this limb problem.  But, of all the people I know shooting them, I think Im the only one I know of this happened to.  There are many plus's to the foam, as most of the premium performance limbs us it: uneffected by temperature being one. My other 3 limb sets are carbon/wood and I'm perfectly happy with them and the bows.  Hunt them hard and shoot 3d with them most each weekend.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
What Bill Carlsen said. Luv the das system.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
kahunter,any company building them can give you
exact specs. on what you need. At lancaster archery,they have a lot of helpful resource also.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by kahunter:
I was wondering how tough they were, specifially the attachment point at the limbs.  It sounds like they don't really bolt down solidly?
There seems to be a lot of confusion and miconceptions about the ILF connection.  Once the bow is strung, it is no more or less secure than a regular takedown.  After all, that's what it is.  It has a limb bolt and a centering pin.  The only difference being that the limb bolt doesn't tighten against the riser.  Thats what allows for the weight and tiller adjustment.

Originally posted by kahunter:
Would you guys trust them in nasty, backcountry type hunts?  I love the idea of being to switch limbs, adjust tiller, etc..., but I mainly hunt so reliability is more important to me than those other things.
Unless you crawl around on those nasty backcountry type hunts with your bow unstrung, I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I hunted with a Tradtech Titan this year.  As solid as any bow I've ever hunted with, probably more so because of the aluminum riser.  They're plenty tough for hunting in my opinion.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Interesting infomation. I've been looking at some ILF bows so this is helpful.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©