3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ontario Black Bear  (Read 608 times)

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
Ontario Black Bear
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Looking for an outfitter in Ontario for black bear bow hunt and some fishing. Would like to take my brother black bear hunting before we can't anymore and should be a drivable distance if possible. If anyone has had good success in southern Ontario, I would appreciate passing on the information.
Thank you.
Pip
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ontario Black Bear
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I'll ask around, always just self hunted Black Bear but there are a lot of outfitters. You can find them as close as two hours over border. There are some big ones in the Haliburton, and Bancroft areas. I was involved in a hunt where guy arrowed a  22" skull bear it was like dragging a waterbed, scales said 507lbs.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
bigugly1,

Does Ontario still not allow spring hunting or have they changed it back yet?  We used to self hunt around Lake of the Woods 20 years ago when they had a spring season.  When the govt. stopped spring hunting, we stopped going.  I'd go back if they opened it up for spring hunting again.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Nope the political ban on spring bear hunting is still in place. Idiots!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Hahaha, that was my sentiment too but I try to be nice since it's not my govt.

Thanks for the update.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Does the season open in August or September? I'd like to go, if I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg, but just have a bad feeling about most of the "guides" I've met from Ontario/Quebec.
Kevin

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
We go to Ron Henry, just over the line in Quebec. Not a pampered hunt, but moe rewarding IMO. Going back this june for third time Lord willing.Pm me if inrerested, we could talk on phone.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
The Black Bear season in Ontario is from August 15 to the end of October. Seems everyone wants a Spring bear hunt, but the politicians, and a few influential tree huggers. Up here we call it Democratic Dictatorship......Lloyd

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
All I can say is definitely do your research.  I have done 2 Ontario bear hunts.  One of them couldn't have gone much better and one of them couldn't have been much worse.  Maybe not all of them but most of them you will get what you pay for.  Alot of the outfitters talk a good game, so make sure you talk to people that have actually hunted with the outfitter.  Check out references.  The outfitter we went with the first time was only about 45 minutes into Ontario and it went great.  He no longer guides so we were forced to book elsewhere , and the next hunt didn't go very well at all and it was alot longer drive.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
I don't know if this would be an option or not, but I'd strongly consider New Brunswick instead of Ontario.  I've been both places and in my opinion the hunting in NB is much better.  You can find a good hunt for bear in NB pretty reasonably too.  Good luck.

Offline Paul B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Haliburton and Bancroft areas have excellent fishing and lots of bears. I have not hunted there but have fished there many times.
Howatt Hunter 50#
Black Bear Warf 46#
1965 Pearson Locksley Tiger recurve 41#

"If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus , and shalt believe in thine heart that God has raised Him from the dead thou shalt be saved." Rom.10:9

Offline bear track

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Don't know how far east you're from, but Manitoba is right next door to Ontario and we have both spring and fall bear hunting.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
No offence to anyone but I would opt for the Manitoba hunts....  Might be a bit longer drive but I think it would be worth it.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
I'm Partial to the fall hunts myself the hides are beautiful in the Fall  Bear Creek outfitters is great for bow hunters
 http://www.bearcreekoutfitters.com/

Hope to be there this Augaust myself
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks to all who responded, much more that I thought. I think I will look in the Quebec, Manatoba area as I really wanted a spring hunt and forgot about the ban in Ontario, Thanks again to all.
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
http://www.bordercountryoutfitters.com/   A group of us Trad guys went up and we all came back with bear. Great housing,food and alot of bear. 1hr drive over the border from Minnesota.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Hi Richard! I'm an outfitter here in Manitoba and a sponsor here at TG. I cater to bowhunters only and almost all Trad. guys. Check out my site, watch the videos, and like stated...don't rule out Manitoba. I drive clients up to camp and back to Winnipeg...which is only an hour from the U.S. border.

Best of luck in your search...Ryan

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Check out Ituksum Outfitters!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Try Black Bear Adventures on Dog Lake.  Paul and John are great guys and put a lot of effort in making sure your get what you came for.  Great bear hunting and great walleye, northern and small mouth fishing to boat.  Search on Dog Lake Resort for info.  I can't wait to go back.

Michael

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Manitoba

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©