3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Film Your Hunts on the Cheap with a $20.00 Video Camera  (Read 627 times)

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Film Your Hunts on the Cheap with a $20.00 Video Camera
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I was on another site and saw this Key Chain Camera hunt. I did some research and found the camera on the big auction site. For ground blind turkey hunts or close range javi and hog hunts, I think it would work pretty good.

I taped the tiny camera to the top of my Boa Quiver, so the frame is a little off. The wheelie bow guys use velcro and put it on their stabilizer. I am going to rig up a small bracket that will bolt onto the upper or lower bolt on my take down.

Here is a short film I did at 7 yards in my house:

Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Film Your Hunts on the Cheap with a $20.00 Video Camera
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Thats very cool. How much video does the camera hold?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris O:
Thats very cool. How much video does the camera hold?
According to the info I have read 50 minutes to 1 hour on the 2 GB card and up to 2 hours on the 4 GB card. They use a Micro SD.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
That's pretty cool Paul.  The only problem with that kind of set up is the camera shot gets all screwed up when the bow goes off.  You might consider making a little adapter that fits on an arrow?  Keep the arrow in your quiver then when you get to where you're hunting stick the arrow in the ground and mount the camera to it?  That might work with ground hunting at least, maybe not in a treestand.  Still pretty cool, will be neat to see some of your hunts on video.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by sam barrett:
That's pretty cool Paul.  The only problem with that kind of set up is the camera shot gets all screwed up when the bow goes off.  You might consider making a little adapter that fits on an arrow?  Keep the arrow in your quiver then when you get to where you're hunting stick the arrow in the ground and mount the camera to it?  That might work with ground hunting at least, maybe not in a treestand.  Still pretty cool, will be neat to see some of your hunts on video.
Sam,

We think alike. I have another camera on the way for that very thing. I was thinking more along the line of a small tripod that I can set up to look out the window of my blind or to set on the ground when I go Javelina hunting.

Therefore, I would have a bow cam and a ground cam.

Paul

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Or mount it on your hat.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
the hat was what i was thinking too

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
How about attaching some self adhesvie velcro to the riser of your bow (inside or outsite), and also to the camera?
This way you could pull the camera off when walking to/from your stand, then once situated in "your spot" you could just stick the litte dude back on.

chris <><

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
What did your wife say when she stepped out of the bathroom and into the shooting range?  :eek:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bivyhunter:
What did your wife say when she stepped out of the bathroom and into the shooting range?   :eek:  
I only shoot when nobody else is in the upstairs part of my house and I block the stairway. In this case, nobody else was home. One of those safety rules. It's all Cameron's falt that I have a target in the house too  :archer2:

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
i bought one and a 4 gig card for it during deer season. it worked good but mine wont recharge.  a few guys wouldnt recharge.  was cool though and take good clear videos
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Whats the name of these little cameras? I'd be intersted in finding one.

Mike

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by sam barrett:
maybe with a recurve but the one i had on my compound didnt at all. but i also have a 12" really heavy stabilizer on that bow.  if i get my camera working ill try it on my recurve and longbow
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
cool...i was checking one out that is mounted to your hat,looks pretty easy to use.not very big but i bet they arent cheap.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
pretty good quality video for being such an inexpensive camera
im lucky i can shoot 10 yrds in my garage or id be shootin in the house too
kevin

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
i think it would be pretty shaky video at a real animal, and the jolt from the shot , hmmm mmm,
maybe mount it on your bowarm shoulder,,,  :dunno:  neet though

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by sawtoothscream:
i bought one and a 4 gig card for it during deer season. it worked good but mine wont recharge.  a few guys wouldnt recharge.  was cool though and take good clear videos
They are very sensitive to charging.

Don't charge for over 1 hour or you will burn out the battery.

Apparently, there has been a learning curve for maximum use on these cameras. I have read several threads on another site and people one by one are diagnosing problems and solutions.

Some guys rig their own battery to these with a solder gun for more operation time.

Paul

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:

I taped the tiny camera to the top of my Boa Quiver, so the frame is a little off. The wheelie bow guys use velcro and put it on their stabilizer. I am going to rig up a small bracket that will bolt onto the upper or lower bolt on my take down.
It's illegal to mount anything electronic to your bow here in Oregon.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Paul, maybe I missed it, but whats the name of the camera you have.

-Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tree Killer:

Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:

It's illegal to mount anything electronic to your bow here in Oregon. [/b]
Thanks Ron. I didn't even think about that. I got it specifically for Texas in March, but did plan on using it for turkeys in April. It looks like just the tripod for now.

I am going to check with ODFW on that too and hopefully change that around.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©