3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: making goose decoys???  (Read 577 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
making goose decoys???
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
well i plan on trying to goose hunt next year with my recurve and went to get some decoys. there about $100 for 6 of them on sale at cabelas. so i figured all you DIYers on here might beable to figure out how to build them. let me know of any way how or any plans to make them.

thanks,
steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: making goose decoys???
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
My rig consisted of Carry Lite shells, home made and used silouettes, and rag decoys.  Nothing fancy.  If I get a chance I photo one of each.

I just hunted with a friend and he had some silouettes that were a photo of a goose and looked real good but I don't think geese really care that much.  He also had the bigfeet with and without flocked heads.  We killed just as many with our cheap rigs.

Do spring for a Mojo decoy though.  Very effective.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
i didnt know if i just needed siluets of i should get  3d targets. i guess ill need both. can i hunt in just any field or is there a certin type of field i need?

how many decoys should i need to be effective??

thanks,
steven

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I would have a rig of both silouettes and shells with some rags thrown in.  Hunt the early season so they will decoy to smaller rigs.  Later geese are very wary and smart. Our cheap rig consisted of only about 7 dozens decoys including 4 dozen goose rags.

Cut corn fields or winter wheat field and very large.  They don't like to decoy  into small fields or over hedge rows.  The want a wide clear approach.

I have to work the next two days but maybe Thurs I can get you a couple of pics.

Fields with ponds are effective with some floaters and field decoys around.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
You can get away with black balloons and a few white one if you have snow geese in your area.First just cut up a few wire coat hangers about 10" long and bend the end to a loop. Then buy a bag of black balloons(get the bigger ones any party store in the 50th b-day section) and when you get to your area blow them up and push the stake through the end and keep the stake about 5" about of the ground and pull the balloon to the loop.Or you can use black rags it works to.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
thanks guys. i didnt know they wouldnt go into a small field. i guess ill have to ask around then cause the only other place i got that would be big enoug is only mabe 300 yards long and 100 yards wide but has some fence rows seperating sections and is only used for hay. thanks for all the info.

steven

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
cut some shapes  out of polystirene and paint them up that should work.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
only now for shotgunhunting but  shouldnt be different from bowhunting in this case:
a pit blind or something similar that lets youre silhouette get smaller works very good.
to place the decoys in a loose "V" shape with you being at the point of the "V" works good.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Silhouettes are pretty easy to cut out of plywood.  If you'd like to get more info on carving some full body decoys pm me and I'll give you a few websites to check out.

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
cut corn and wheat are going to be your best fields
look for shells at garage sales and auctions i know thats not diy but they need to look real start working a call and dont forget to flag
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
You can come up and hunt with my group if you like.  I have access to @ 10 different properties to goose hunt, we kill on average 150 geese a year around the northeast part of Ohio.  Our group has all of the decoys and blinds that you will need.  Do not believe that you need a large field to hunt in, we kill many geese in fields as little as 5 acres in size.   I killed 2 this year with my recurve, although I have yet to kill one yet on the wing, I have only killed them after they have landed with the bow.  You also do not need a lot of decoy's we have had many a great hunt with as few as 3 decoys and have decoy'd them in with duck decoy's more than once. You will need to make sure you have both of your waterfowl stamps, state and federal this cost @ $40 a year here in Ohio.  The south zone for geese goes another 2 weeks in Ohio, but due to work obligations my waterfowl hunting is done for the year.  Look me up and you can start going with us in the early season witch typically starts on September 1st.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
hey thanks for the offer steve but me and a group of my friends along with my dad and uncle are all goin together to hunt so were splitting the cost. i was just tryin to find a less exspensive alternative to buying hundreds of decoys. i guess i only need a few now that i know more. again thanks for the offer but i think well try and wing it next year and if theres no sucess ill have to look ya up.

thanks,
steven

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
Keep your eyes and ears open for someone selling decoys. Goose hunting can be an obessession and many spend much for little return on harvest and were possibly over their budget in the 1st place.

Bargains do come along quite often.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ChaserMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Lots of good advice here...Let me add a couple ideas.  First, tactics depend on the time of the season you're going to hunt.  Early is best before the birds get educated.  Corn fields work great early.  They don't have to be entirely cut either.  I've hunted partially cut fields and set less than 10 decoys out...then hid in the uncut corn rows.  10 decoys split a couple ways isn't so expensive.

Stand back a few rows in the uncut corn and you and your bow will be hidden.  

A few Silouhetts work fine where I live.  Get a good pole with a flag to get their attention and you should be able to call them in.  Learn how to call, it's important.

Craig's list and garage sales often have someone getting rid of dekes this time of year.  

Also, late season geese who overwinter are looking for water.  I've seen them as recently as this weekend in Michigan sitting on the thick ice near the backwater of a river.  Woods all around.  Get there early enough and you might be able to pass shoot without decoys when the geese come to drink.  Just some thoughts.

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©