3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tales of a wanna-be bowhunter  (Read 495 times)

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
Tales of a wanna-be bowhunter
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
So today is Martin Luther-King day, and I don't have school, and work gave me off so I can study for finals. The obvious thing to do, then, is of course spend a day in the woods! I posted here a while ago about learning how to hunt, and many people told me to spend time in the woods. I have been, but today I decided to document the trip.

About a ten minute walk away from my house is Ryerson Conservation area, 279 acres of woods/prairie. So, I bundled up and put my wool on, and went out into the snowy day. I started out my walk in a prairie, hugging the edge of the forest. Not more than fifty paces into the field, I found my first track:

Ooh, look here, there's more!

I wonder where this goes...

I followed this trail until I reached an intersection:

I walked clear across the field by this point, and wanted to get into the woods, so I took that path. Oh, look what I found here; there are tracks everywhere!

I picked out the freshest tracks that I saw, but they weren't deer tracks. There weren't any fresh deer tracks that I found at all today, but these would suffice. I can't tell what they are, to tell you the truth, but it has paws, is roughly the size of a small dog. I'm thinking either a coyote or a fox for this one.

They led me to this tree! I was pretty excited to find strong evidence of bucks in the area!

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tales of a wanna-be bowhunter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I dropped the camera in the snow by accident, so the pictures from now on may be a bit blurry. I kept following the earlier fox/coyote tracks, until they turned onto a main trail and were lost among the footprints and cross country skiers. From then, I walked into the woods to try to find some new tracks, I found some squirrel tracks!

Not too far away, I run into some evidence of our furry friend the gray squirrel:

I keep following those tracks, until I see movement up ahead. Sure enough, the tracks lead right to a squirrel digging in the snow. Let's play a game called stalking: (click for video)

I was feeling a bit silly at the time and started off with a ridiculous accent, pretending to be one of those hooligans on TV that over-dramatize everything. please ignore that bit.

(click for video)

I kept walking through the woods, find another squirrel and did the same thing. I got roughly the same distance away from that squirrel as I did the first one. The rest of the day was spent following tracks, looking for animals, and enjoying nature. I came across a clearing and found this old thing:

Pretty neat, that in the middle of nowhere there's an old wooden bucket. I picked some good tracks that led me to my favorite place of Ryerson:

It's a shame that the house isn't well taken care of, It would have been pretty neat if it was maintained throughout the years. Back in the eighties, researchers would live there for months at a time. Now, it just houses bats and raccoons. I cover about a fourth of the land in my trek, and the tracks led me back to the intersection where I first went into the woods.

Funny, I thought I recognized something about that print... By now the snow had turned to freezing rain and was now turning into plain old rain, and it was getting dark, so I headed back home. I noticed I was much quieter walking back through the field than I was when the day began. Overall, it was a fun day in the woods, and was much better than studying. If it were legal, and I had a license, and my bow hadn't exploded two days prior, I would have a squirrel or two to show for the day. Still, it was a great day in the woods, and I look forward to many more like it. Thanks, guys.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Good deal. Tracking in the nsnow is always fun!

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Sweet man! I hear you about university studying. It can be depressing so getting outside is good  :)

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Sweet man! I hear you about university studying. It can be depressing so getting outside is good
High school, actually, and I'm already accepted into college so... doing the bare minimum to get through the rest of the year has started with the exception of AP classes.

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Having today out of high school was great missed a doe or (pin ringed a branch) and saw about a dozen or so deer 3 in range it was to dark to shoot at the last one this evening. But we have a 2hr. delay for teacher in service deal so Maybe tomorrow before school..Exams, Just wing it.7 or 8 of my classes are in the AG. room anyways.
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the walk John...nice to be there with you!  Study hard and play hard!  Wish I was your age - I'd hunt more often....HA!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
I'm glad you found some time to get into the woods.

It sounds like you had a great time!

Thanks for taking us along.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Nice photo essay.

Where was your bow during all of this?
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
that's a great story, john. thanks for sharing it.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline FightingCelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Good for you..a beautiful way to de-stress...nice pics too!
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
supposed to be surrounded.

1972 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Pray, and let God worry.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Looks like you had a great time and learned a little on the way.Beautiful pick of the cabin.Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:
See:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=004994

Even if the bow was intact, I wouldn't be allowed to carry it; our town does not allow for any hunting at all.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Lipinski:

Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:
See:   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=004994  

Even if the bow was intact, I wouldn't be allowed to carry it; our town does not allow for any hunting at all. [/b]
That stinks. You want to borrow one. Just pay shipping. I got an old Bear Alaskan dual shelf #44 at 28 I would lone yah.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but I did some work on a new longbow in the shop today, and i'm only about two or three days more work from having a working bow again.

Along that note, TG members have been really helpful!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
looks like a nice day for fresh crisp air. nothin teaches you animal patterns like 6" of snow.

that rub might be one of them sitka deer though... i could be wrong...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Hello John, I teach High School and NEED to get out to exercise and clense my mind as much as possible. Use that snow to backtrack those deer and come season you will have yourself a few good stand locations....Bobby

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©