3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your FOC method  (Read 627 times)

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Your FOC method
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Just curious as to what method you use In figuring out your FOC. Click on the link below.

http://archeryreport.com/2010/09/arrow-foc-basics-calculate/

I'm not saying It's right or wrong but I never realized that allot of people use the method where they don't Include the tip/BH In their measurement when measuring the arrow.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Your FOC method
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
no need to go offsite for an foc calculator ...

FOC calculator

... just download the above spreadsheet file and run it!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
My FOC is perfect when my arrow is flying straight with a sharp broadhead. Never really checked for a percentage. I shot, saw the deer fall shortly afterward. Yep that was a good arrow. That's my simple method. The working end, is usually the heavier of the two so the percentages must be in favor of that end. Speed nor KE do the killing with a bow a well placed sharp head do the blood letting.
USMC 82-86

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by S.C. Hunter:
My FOC is perfect when my arrow is flying straight with a sharp broadhead. Never really checked for a percentage. I shot saw the deer fall shortly afterward. Yep that was a good arrow. That's my simple method. The working end, is usually the heavier of the two so the percentages must be in favor of that end. Speed nor KE do the killing with a bow a well placed sharp head do the blood letting.
and that is the truth of it all.   :thumbsup:

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

FOC calculator

I know how to figure out my FOC, that wasn't my question. My question was what Is your preferred method? Method 1 or method 2 In that link I provided.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
Method 1 is the AMO standard. When I want to calculate FOC for the purposes of a discussion, that's the method I use.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Schultzy:

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

FOC calculator

I know how to figure out my FOC, that wasn't my question. My question was what Is your preferred method? Method 1 or method 2 In that link I provided. [/b]
no contest, like jason said, method #1.  it's the only method that makes sense for real world foc comparisons, imo - there are way too many added variables by measuring to the point's tip.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
In my opinion the data is off unless measuring the overall length of the arrow, including whatever point you have on your shaft.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
In my opinion the data is off unless measuring the overall length of the arrow, including whatever point you have on your shaft.
Agreed. You can't arbitrarily pick a determined point as your length if  it isn't the actual end point(s.)

Yes, it makes comparisons messy, but it is the true FOC. It doesn't make a huge difference but it is the true FOC.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
My results were quite different. Method one my FOC was 21% and method 2 It was 17%. Big difference If you ask me.

Like I said In the start of the thread, I'm not saying what's right or wrong but to me method 2 would make more sense being your tip/BH Is part of your arrow.

Thanks for the responses.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I took one of my 11/32" cedar arrows (30.5" BOP) with a 125 gr broadhead and came up with a 590 gr arrow that yields 10.8% FOC (32.5" nock throat to broadhead tip).  Tapered the last 12" down to a 5/16" nock.  I've had complete pass-throughs on whitetail with these arrows from 55" recurves.

So, I guess my take-away is that guys knew what they were doing 50 years ago and for several centuries before that without a table or calculation.  

Shoot wood and a sensible, sharp broadhead and stop FOC'ing around.   :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I agree stump!! 3 years ago was the 1st time I ever heard of this FOC talk. I was then shooting 2216 XX75's tipped with 125 grain Snuffers. I checked my FOC via method 2 and I was at 7%. 9 times out of 10 I would get pass throughs with that arrow set up. I now shoot 340 FMJ's cause I wanted to get my FOC In that 19% range but to be honest my previous arrow set up did just fine.

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
method 2 , as long as your FOC is between 10 & 15 percent it should be just fine , I don't understand not including your choosen tip weight - it's part of the arrow ?
Paul

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Stumpkiller, I have always just stuck with the arrow that works myself. Never worried about the FOC thing. I had a funny idea in my head if it worked before me, it should for me. All I have ever done was stay between 9-10 gpp. Well said no table for calculation was needed before I don't need one now. If I really want to blow through bone I have a .308 that will do that for me.
USMC 82-86

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
The download that you have there showes mt FOC to be at 22.5 but Stu Miller's showes me at 16.0

Which one is correct?

I inputed the infor that is my arrow into both.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I shoot a fairly high FOC(13%), but when all of this came about i was forced to take action and do a few of my own personal tests! Theres no doubt that a higher FOC will make an arrow fly better, but achieving that by just goin to a heavy head, and keeping the same shaft material will not make them as effecient of a killer as a heavier shaft material complimented in turn with a heavier head! Balance is key when it comes to penetration!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
there's a place and time and reason for everything.

my well flying 11/32" (actually .03215" in diameter) woodies are barely 11% to a max of 14% foc and all are at least 600 grains, some near 700 grains total weight.  they have and will kill real well.  i hope to bury a few in the right mark come this spring's hunt.

my "panzer tank killer" arrow is a gt .286" diameter 55/75 carbon that's 680 grains and well over 30% foc.  it will out penetrate (by almost 6") a woodie of the same total weight, when shot into a dense, layered foam butt, both sport the same tusker concorde broadhead.  both fly as if on rails.

which should i prefer to hunt hogs with this spring, and why?   ;)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Im not starting a fight here, but if you wanna see high FOC, get some Sitks Spruce shafts and tip them with a 300gr broadhead! Its not hard to do! That same setup however will never get my vote over a heavy shaft/heavy head setup which still yields a high FOC! Ive done a few "Crude" penetration tests with various FOC %'s in the past and with everything being equal(same bow, sharp head, test target), except shaft material i believe balance out penetrates high FOC, notice how i didnt mention EFOC!!!

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Obviously your carbons, im a wood man, always will be!

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
I will say, and there are lots or variables here i understand! My past turkey harvests with cedar arrows never yielded passthroughs(turkeys are very tough), but when i switched to a shaft 100gr heavier and kept same head i managed a few! Then when i upped the spine and tipped with a heavier 160gr head i had 3 passthroughs ina row! Im sure the FOC increased with the heavier point weight, but probably not by much with the heavier shaft it was riding on! I guess what im saying is i havent totally bought it(the FOC boom), but than again i have more than likely increased my FOC some since the Ashby reports!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©