3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Virginia Squirrel Hunt  (Read 895 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Virginia Squirrel Hunt
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I was just reminded that the new Spring squirrel season has started and we haven't done anything about planning a Trad Hunt.  What's everyone's schedules?

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Virginia Squirrel Hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Wow, hold on there, i have been gone two years and there is a spring squirrel season ?  ok, so i am immagining the entire state is now beeing taken over by squirrels, my house is full of nutz, my family hostage.  Ok, sorry, i sometimes have an over active immagination.  fill me in guys ?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
This is the first year it's been available and only on private land and select WMAs.  To quote VDGIF website:

June 2-23, 2007 (Only on specific wildlife management areas listed below):

Amelia, Big Survey, Briery Creek, Chickahominy, Dick Cross, Dismal Swamp, Fairystone (including Fairystone State Park and Philpott Reservoir), Goshen, Havens, Hog Island (Carlisle Tract only), Horsepen, James River, Pettigrew, Phelps, Powhatan, Thompson, Turkeycock Mountain, and White Oak Mountain Wildlife Management Areas.

Fox squirrels may only be harvested on Big Survey, Goshen, Havens, Phelps and Thompson Wildlife Management Areas.
Hunting squirrels with dogs is not allowed during the June season.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
Wow, thats great !  Thanks for the info Chuck, i guess i am a little outta the loop these days.  I wont tell the wife, just what she wants to hear, that there is another season open.  Good luck, if i were there i would be right there with ya.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
I just checked with VDGIF and private property is included.  The wording is a little ambiguous since there's no mention of private property.  I had forgot about it until someone PM'ed me to see if we were still meeting.  I was taking the kids fishing last weekend so couldn't go anyways.  I've got a TON of squirrels (grey and fox) I'd like to thin out before deer season.  How long you staying in UK?  On post?

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I've got a TON of squirrels (grey and fox) I'd like to thin out before deer season.
So just what are you suggesting Mr. Browder?

I had not realized that private property was open as well.  Is that state-wide?
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Yep!  I was just telling BigRonHuntsALot that I was willing to have some guys shoot my squirrels if they want to take time out from STAR.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
That sounds like a great idea!  You're breakin' my heart though...I was really excited when I heard about STAR and this makes it even better - but I will be out of state from Saturday a.m. 'til Sunday night for family obligations.

I hope you can get something going and you have a great time!
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
any day but saturday's will work for me. maybe we can put something together during the week....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
If you were a little closer Paleface we could do an after work evening hunt.   :)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Do y'all want to try to do Powhattan WMA again?  I had a BLAST last time!  Maybe we can get the same group together again.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
Scary looking bunch if you ask me   :eek:   I can take some time away from STAR to get together, maybe Sat Afternoon? (6/16) Or I can do central VA Sat 6/23.

Adam

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
I may even have some hot tea for you UK. LOL

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
Methinks the man will take a cold one in this warm weather!!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Talondale i can take any day off during the week, but my weekends are slammed this time of year with that dirty word work. i'm also headed up to MI for the Comptons Rendezvous next weekend. if you know a good spot to hunt after work one afternoon i can make the trip, it's only about a 3 hour drive from here.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
I'm saving the rest of my T.O. for our coming baby and a few days in deer season, so an evening hunt would be the only feasible choice.  If we go after STAR I'll let you know how well things go and maybe we can try a repeat during a weekday evening.  We've got lots of greys and fox squirrels.  Those fox types are pretty cagey though, it will be tough getting a shot on them.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Yep, Tea might be out of the question, cold refreshment might be a better course of action  :D  at this time of year, gotta stay hydrated!

Adam

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
ttt

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
What is the latest idea of location/date?

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
I can't make it but I hope you guys get something going.  :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©