3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Deer of the new year!  (Read 557 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
First Deer of the new year!
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
Today I had a chance to get back out in the CT deer woods. I LOVE hunting January, especially when there is snow on the ground. I decided to sit in a stand I have in a lone hemlock tree at the edge of an open wood lot and surrounded by oaks. I wasn't in the stand 5 minutes when I looked up and had 2 does headed my way. I had to scramble to pull my bow up and never even had a chance to take my back pack off!

The bigger doe walked past me through a small opening and then turned towards my tree. Of course I have no shots to that side of the tree due to the pine branches, even though she was only 10yds away digging for acorns. I looked up to see where the yearling was just as she stopped in the opening her mother had walked through a minute earlier. The green light went off in my head and before I knew it I was at full draw and the arrow was on it's way. She was slightly quartering away and the shot looked good, maybe just a touch back. She ran 30yds or so and stopped and started staggering. If you ever read my posts before, you know my motto is "when in doubt, quiver out". At 45-50yds I sent one just over her back because I hadn't picked a spot. She didn't react to the shot but still hadn't tipped over, so i nocked another arrow settled in and sent another. She was quartering to me and the arrow entered just in front of the near leg, passing through the front of the chest and breaking the offside leg. I could see the spray of crimson on the snow instantly as she jumped over a stone wall and all was silent. I could see blood in the snow at the first shot and even more after the second, I knew she was down.

I sat the rest of the afternoon and saw at least 15 more deer. The wind was swirling and every time one was almost in range they'd know something was up. I had a small buck with a busted rack bed up at about 70yds for over 30 minutes, saw a 13+ inch spike horn and lots of does. It was a great afternoon, but I couldn't wait to get down and go see my doe. At dark I walked over to where she crossed the wall and I she hadn't made it 20yds past it. It turns out the first shot caught the liver and one lung and would have done the job but the second arrow caught the heart which made sure she wasn't going anywhere.

The view from the stand, look at all the trails and dug up areas!

The Busted rack buck

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Deer of the new year!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
The hole I shot through and the sign at the shot

View from the stand after the second shot

The end result!

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
That is way cool. I wish we had enough deer in Oregon to have a long season.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
Greg,
Dandy!!      :thumbsup:    
Congratulations!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01:00 AM »
The county I live in, in NY runs archery only from about Oct 15th until Dec 31st with nearly unlimited tags and CT runs Sept 15th through Dec 31st and then the January season runs all of Jan. I get 2 January tags and 4 fall tags and you can check does in for replacement tags. I live in bowhunters heaven!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
I was using my 55#, 56" shrew take down, GT 55/75, 100 grain insert and 175 VPA Terminators

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Skipmaster1:
The county I live in, in NY runs archery only from about Oct 15th until Dec 31st with nearly unlimited tags and CT runs Sept 15th through Dec 31st and then the January season runs all of Jan. I get 2 January tags and 4 fall tags and you can check does in for replacement tags. I live in bowhunters heaven!
I would definately call that heaven.  :D
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:13:00 AM »
Nice Doe and good shootin.....
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
It's not like the big woods and takes some getting used to but the suburbs hold a ton of deer. It seems every year my feet wander west to quench my thirst for big country but i do enjoy hunting right at home and seeing plenty of deer. Many people who haven't hunted the suburbs think it's like shooting fish in a barrel but anyone who has hunted with me will agree that the deer aren't push overs....we just have more so the odds swing in your favor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Skipmaster1:
It's not like the big woods and takes some getting used to but the suburbs hold a ton of deer. It seems every year my feet wander west to quench my thirst for big country but i do enjoy hunting right at home and seeing plenty of deer. Many people who haven't hunted the suburbs think it's like shooting fish in a barrel but anyone who has hunted with me will agree that the deer aren't push overs....we just have more so the odds swing in your favor
I would love to hunt the suburbs in January. You are a lucky guy.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:07:00 AM »
congratulations Greg.nice deer and some fine shooting.glen

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »
Very nice!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
Way to go sir!  Nice pictures!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Great story and nice pics. Just read an article in Tradbow Hunter mag. about long range practice by Fred Asbell. Your second shot(actually your third one!) was one of the reasons he gave for the long range practice - the need for a finisher. Good Work!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
Congrats,nice pics,thanks for sharing
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Congrats, on a fine harvest.  :thumbsup:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
Congrats!
   :thumbsup:

Offline macksdad