3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you prepare yourself for extreme winter weather/cold?  (Read 309 times)

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you prepare yourself for extreme winter weather/cold?
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I have worked in the outdoors all my life. I have learned over the years that being propery prepared will keep you somewhat comfortable and get you through a long day of extreme weather/cold. I am interested to hear how others dress head to tow, base to top layer?
What garment fabrics you prefer wool,fleece,down,goretex,etc? What you pack in for food, drink and gear to help get you through the day? Any tricks used to stay warm or protected yourself from the weather?
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you prepare yourself for extreme winter weather/cold?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I am real partial to Wool.  Feet are extremely important too and I found a great review here on our forum, check it out:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000865

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Wool is my outer, midlayer and socks of choice too for extreme cold. I do like a silk sock liner under my wool socks.
John Wayne

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Heater body suit.  May seem expensive at first, but when you add up the cost of all other outer garments, (i.e. bibs, parka etc.) it's actually alot cheaper.  Plus you don't have to be dressed like the michellin man, and you don't have to wear big pac boots.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I agree with NBK. The heater body suit has made a bigger difference than any other purchase by far for staying warm. It allows you to walk in dressed lightly and shoot without being bulky.

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
It would appear the "heater body suit" is designed for a stand hunter, rather than still hunting?
Best Wishes

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Windwalker,
It's just for sitting.  You put it on once your up in the tree, in the blind...
I think watching someone try to still hunt with one on would be something to see though!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I wear Cabelas Polar tec first layer then KOM wool pants woolrich wool vest and KOM Standmaster coat. Body is toasty warm. I have tried many boots and type of socks and different type foot warmers but I must have poor cirulation because my feet freeze after 3 hours.

I bought a used heater body suit but have not used it yet.

Do you guys have a hard time getting them on in portable treestands?
PBS  Member

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I normally opt for wool long underwear and then wool outer wear with a wool pull over jacket. wool socks with silk under and a pair of Irish Setter 40 below boots for stand hubnting. I shift to underarmer underwear and Cabela pac boots for still hunting.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
For sitting treestands

Above zero:
Muck boots, smart wool socks, lightweight thermals (X-Scent), KOM Bunwarmer pants, Swandri wool shirt, Gray Wolf vest, and most important Hidden wolf bomber hat.

Below zero to -40 +/-:
Schnees or Mickey mouse boots, Mid-weight wool thermals, KOM Bunwarmers or Gray Wolf insulated bibs, Wool shirt (KOM, Filson, or Swandri), vest (varies between KOM reversible or fleece, bulk is the main concern), Gray Wolf or KOM jacket (the KOM is warmer but also bulkier), and most important, a light weight balaclava type hat (X-Scent) under either a HW or KOM bomber style hat (the KOM is warmer but you can't hear anything with the flaps down).

I wear lightweight cotton, wool, or fleece gloves with half of three fingers cut off on the shooting hand.  They easily slide over my Damascus glove and to shoot normally, while still keeping the skin from being directly exposed to the air.  I put a hand warmer in each pocket and toe warmers on top of my toes and on top of my shoulders as warranted.  I had shoulder surgery and the toe warmer keeps the shoulders warm, allowing me to shoot more accurately on the first shot.  A long time ago my scuba instructor told me that if you want warm feet then keep your head warm.  For the most part that rule has worked to keep me warm.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I use a micro-fleece baselayer for frigid temps and polyester moisture wicking baselayer for the just below freezing temps. On top of that a turtle neck or mock t. Then a wool sweater full zip or button up. An outer layer consisting of a wool shirt jac and wool cargo pants. With this combination I can always button/unbutton, zip/unzip or remove/add a layer to moderate my core temp wether standing or on the move.
John Wayne

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Wool....more cold, more layers and EAT!!   Protien, fats and carbs for breakfast, snack every 2 hrs, lunch, more snacks. Digesting food creates heat and fuels muscles to make heat. Drink hot/wets, coffee,tea,broth. Snack on nuts, dried fruit, cheese (payday bars my fav). Try it and you will notice a difference.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Heater Body Suit  :thumbsup:

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Ive found nothing better than wool, and it seams to me nothing is better than KOM. And i dont leave home without my coffee.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
I been using the heater body suit this late season, this things is amazing for warmth.

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
I like to bring a thermos of hot cofee, a bottle of water, and some snack bars (granola,nutty bars,etc). If I break for lunch its a hot bowl of soup or stew that seems to warm the soul.
John Wayne

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I eat like an animal all fall and when it gets cold, I squeeze my fat encrusted bod into as much wool as I can carry.

Easy!

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
My body adjusts to it persay. First 30 degree day im freezing, last here hunting in 8 degree im pretty warm.  I get use to the cold as im in it almost daily.  I enter my house and sufficate, thanks to my wife, and its only 63 degrees.  Anyway, i know eating has a benefit and if im going for a long sit eating a few baked taters in the microwave is easy, quick and helps fight off the cold.  goood tooo.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Hibernation works for me.  ;)

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I prop my feet up next to the woodstove and think about how cold it is outside and then tell myself I shouldn't have passed up that doe.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©