3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow etiquette?  (Read 595 times)

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow etiquette?
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
hey guys, i have hunted and shot recurves for years but i have been itching for a simplier form of shooting. so today i closed a deal on a 58" striker stinger! it should suit my 26" draw well. my question is...do you treat longbows any different than curves? i know with my recurve that i shoot alot, it stays strung unless i'm not shooting it for a week or two. is this still the norm with longbows? any other tips are helpful.

btw- i just realized this is also my first one piece bow:) this is gonna be fun!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Nope I dont treat any of my bows different than the others.  Recurve, longbow, 1,2, or 3 piece they all get treated the same.     :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
They make better tent poles and johnboat pushers.

Theat them the same - though I always unstring my longbow after use.  I have an old lemonwood that lived in grandpa's barn strung for many years and looks the same strung or unstrung.    "[dntthnk]"
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
wow! thats pretty wild! i have heard of guys getting bows in garage sales that had been strung up for years...still pulling the same weight! i have also heard that for what ever reason, maybe limb geometry, that black widow says to unstring their longbows when not shooting.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
I would recommend unstringing it after each shooting session.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
The lemonwood bow in which Stumpkiller is referring to is probably a solid wood bow or at least doesn't have any fiberglass in it. I leave my glass recurves strung all the time without any ill effects whatsoever.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
All my recurves stay strung unless going on a trip. Never had an issue?
David M. Conroy

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
all mine do to but longbows? im new too.

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
both my recurves and longbows are unstrung when not being shot, it's not going to hurt so why not.

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
well mainly because with recurves, at least, stringing and unstringing can up the odds of twisting a limb. not sure if you can twist a longbow limb though.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Glass bows are fine strung,although I wouldn't leave any bow stung just to leave it strung.If it's your main bow that you shoot everyday leave it strung up.

Do not leave selfbows strung when not in use.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
My glass bows stay strung unless they are being transported...recurve or longbow.

Woodies get unstrung immediately after shooting.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
so is my thinking right? that it seems that a narrow thicker longbow limb is really hard to get a twist compared to a wide thine recurve limb.

thanks for all the comments so far guys!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Always treated laminated bows the same,now selfbows are a different animal Enjoy it!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Thick cored longbows will tend to set if strung for long periods.  I left a Schulz strung for three months and it had less pull and lost some of its shape for a while, but it came back after a few days of being unstrung.  I was checking to see how stable it was after I fell with it and broke a tip, then retillered it to its two inches shorter length. It is the smoothest and most accurate short draw longbow I own in its current sad state.  I have seen a Hill that had been left strung for two years that took on a permanent set and lost a few pounds of draw weight, but it probably shot nicer and was easier to pull for its owner, originally 92 pounds.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Carbonkiller:
so is my thinking right? that it seems that a narrow thicker longbow limb is really hard to get a twist compared to a wide thine recurve limb.

thanks for all the comments so far guys!
I'd say "yes".

I watched a guy demonstrate how flexible a recurve limb is by taking his recurve and twisting the limb while strung.  The string jumped the groove and the limb twisted around on itself sideways with a lot of nasty crackles.  Did not seem to do any real damage but didn't do it any good for sure.  From the look on his face t may have taken years off his life, though.    :scared:  

A longbow is much less apt to twist in the same way - but what we call "longbows" real longbow makers call "flatbows" and you can still twist one with enough mishandling.  Usually you can straighten them out pretty easily, also.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Any 58" longbow will 99% be closer to your recurves than an actual longbow.

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
depends what kind of longbow, might have to adjust the was you grip it. sometimes using a recurve grip will make your longbow want to shoot left, just change your hand position to a more wrist-down traditional style and it solves the problem
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I leave my longbows, three piece and one piece strung unless I'm travelling.
hunt it

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I left a bow strung once for several years because it was a little heavy. I thought maybe it would lose some weight. It didn't. Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©