3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground slate points  (Read 457 times)

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ground slate points
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Anyone on the gang have any experience making  or hunting these?
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground slate points
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
Nobody?I made up one last night...came out pretty decent...

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
I would think that slate would be very very brittle and would break before getting good penetration?  Just my opinion.  Can you share a picture of the point?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
Rich ,We can't use anything other than steel manufactured points in Jersey to hunt with . I would like to see a pic of what you made.It may be a fun weekend project.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:26:00 AM »
A lot of the artifacts from this area(Mohawk Valley) that I have seen appear to be slate. Most of them appear to be longer than arrow heads and may be knives but Im pretty sure theyre made of slate.

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
I've been considering this as well since they're a traditional Korean point. Seems straight-forward enough, shape w/ a file or grinder.

Only technique information I've found beyond that was putting them in the oven to dry them out which I thought was unnecessary.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
I'd love to see some pictures of points made of slate
I'd also enjoy reading about any experiences you or anyone has had using them.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Here ya go-

I made it by grinding it by hand on a brick and keeping some water on it.

I work in a slate quarry,and when I saw the section on points in my TBB volume it was only natural for me to try.I can attest to the fact this stuff is ruthless when it gets into a broke edge.I have many scars from work to prove it.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
It came out about 7/8" wide...just barely legal to use for hunting.I have it inserted into a chokecherry shoot shaft.

I also have some other slate I got from work to try but red slate is the hardest color we have in this area and the nicest looking so I gave that a try first.

Sorry about the poor quality of the pics,I only have my phone till I can get another camera.

I rough cut it out on a tile saw(I'm putting down a slate floor in my house right now) and used the brick and some time to work it down.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
That is a beautiful point but what do you think about its integrity?   Do you think it could stand up to high impact with bone?

Your technique of making the point is interesting though.   I wonder if it might be possible to make flint or chert points by using a Dremel tool?

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Well I'm not sure about durability...I plan to make some more and test them out.I'm not sure about deer hunting with them but I will give them a go on bunnies.I had a nice piece of white ash I was making into a bow but had to scrap it,so when I have a self bow to shoot them out of I will do some testing.Right now I wanted to make some for some local guys for display arrows.

I tried to orientate the grain of the rock lengthwise through the point,thus giving it a little more strength.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Meant to say test them out on wood and other things...not live animals...

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I know there were some tribes that used grounded slate. Just can't remember which one...pretty they were woodland tribes because of that lack of knappable rock.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Nice looking point.
When you mount it be sure to bevel the front of the arrow shaft to ease the transition. It will look better and give better penetration.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Landman, there is a knapping technique called Flake Over Grind, FOG. It's similar to what you are asking about but with a bit added. You can see pictures here:
 http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2006decemberjimhopperpage1.htm

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
Nice looking point.
When you mount it be sure to bevel the front of the arrow shaft to ease the transition. It will look better and give better penetration.

Guy
Yep I know,I just had that in there for fitting the head to the shaft.She's ground down and ready now.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
as far as i know i cant use flint or any stone heads in ohio. i was wanting to but i read somewhere it was elegal. i dont see why there just like a 2 blade broad head.

the only slate i have around is some old roof tiles from a old barn we brought down. i have probly 100 tiles so i might give this a try. good idea.

steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by landman:
That is a beautiful point but what do you think about its integrity?   Do you think it could stand up to high impact with bone?

Your technique of making the point is interesting though.   I wonder if it might be possible to make flint or chert points by using a Dremel tool?
If you want to try that I can recommend a product called a Mizzy Wheel that will fit a Dremel chuck.  I use these to salvage odd shaped flints for my flintlock firearms.  WEAR A DUST MASK as silicosis is a nasty affliction.

http://www.jewelerstoystore.com/product_p/w615-1.htm
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by $bowhunter$:
as far as i know i cant use flint or any stone heads in ohio. i was wanting to but i read somewhere it was elegal. i dont see why there just like a 2 blade broad head.

the only slate i have around is some old roof tiles from a old barn we brought down. i have probly 100 tiles so i might give this a try. good idea.

steven
Look up a member "getstonedprimativebowhunt" here on the gang.Jeff is your Ohio primative archerman.Last I knew you Ohio guys could basically use anything short of handgrenades out there in rosebush land. He's actually just up the road from you in Harrison county.   :thumbsup:

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by vtmtnman:

Originally posted by $bowhunter$:

steven
Look up a member "getstonedprimativebowhunt" here on the gang.Jeff is your Ohio primative archerman.Last I knew you Ohio guys could basically use anything short of handgrenades out there in rosebush land. He's actually just up the road from you in Harrison county.    :thumbsup:  [/b]
ok will do. thanks
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©