3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: strings going flat?  (Read 302 times)

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
strings going flat?
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
has anyone noticed strings gradually loosing power over a year or so? also how often do you have to replace your strings?
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: strings going flat?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
i replace my strings every 6 months or so. im a strong believer that you need to replace your string atleast once every year.
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
No, I've never noticed that and never heard of it until now. I have strings that I have used for a number of years--keep them waxed up good and they last for a long time.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I have strings that are twenty years old and still shoot good. You do have to check your brace height though.Gary

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
How can a string loose power? I have never heard of that. As long as your brace height is good the string should not be an issue.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Strings don't have power.  They can rob power from a bow if they are built wrong.

Why do you think you are losing power?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Once a properly built string is fully stretched the only way for it to loose strength is for strands to break.  Loosing power is not really possible.  The only other way would be for the flemish to be slowly slipping thus lengthening the string.  This would lead to over twisting to keep the brace height right and would be very noticeable.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I think our young friend Luke means strings getting "weaker" - as in likely to break maybe?

Luke, if you shoot a lot, pay attention to your string.  If it starts to fray or look like it has gone through WW2, replace it.

Good question tho...take care

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Lose power?  No.  Get frayed and scary looking?  Yes.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
What kind of string (and material)are you using,What the bow spec's and what type of silencer is on it.Do you twist your string? Have you checked the limbs on the bow? I have strings on two bows that are above the 60# mark and they stay strung( for the last 2+ years )all year and have had no problems.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm a once a year string replacer on my  most used bows & every 2 years on my grandfathers Grizzly "mostly because I only shoot is evefry once in a while" but I never really notice any performance difference from the time I get the BH settled till I replace them.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
I wax my string whenever it stops feeling sticky. My dacron strings go for as long as 3 years before I replace them, and can probably go longer. My non stretch strings last a couple of years, and again probably could go some longer. I just make another when they start to get fuzzy looking. Also it is wise to have two bowstrings at a time. I keep a shot in dedicated spare and shoot the fresh string when I replace it.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
does anyone know how to build and improperly built string. Pics or maybe a diagram. I have a longbow that is 10lbs too heavy and maybe one of these strings would do the trick for cheap.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©