3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: From Wheel to Real?  (Read 952 times)

Offline Two Wolves

• Trad Bowhunter
From Wheel to Real?
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
For you Trad Gang guys that used to shoot those "other" bows... compounds (there I said it). How long did you shoot wheels before making the switch to Trad Archery? Why did you switch?
Striker Stinger
58" 50#@28

There is a cabin full of dreams in the backwoods of my mind.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: From Wheel to Real?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I shot compounds for 12 years, Stopped because it became real boring to drill the same group over and over. Also I could never find a stickbow in any archery shop. Then one day I go into this new shop and there before me was a Toelke Whip, love at first sight, after that it was no more compound ever again.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I shot from '80 until '08.  Never used sight or a release, so it was not to hard a switch.  If anything just made shooting more natural.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
5 years with a compound and 22 years now with traditional bows.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I shot compounds for about 10-11 years.  Traditional archery always kinda tugged at me, but finally decided to switch because I was getting a little burned out with all the tech, gadgets, and just extra 'stuff' that was part of compound shooting.  Enjoyed the simple and fun feeling that shooting a traditional bow brought me.  I also was looking for a new challenge in archery that traditional has definatly brought me!  Been shooting traditional now for about 6-7 years now.  Wow time has flown!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
I first shot a recurve in the summer of 1973 a compound in 1978. I still shoot both. I just shoot my compound far less. Like LongStick64 said I get bored with shooting that bow. I can put groups together with arrows touching at 20 yds. I love a longbow, the way it looks, feels, cast a arrow and the comments I receive on looks and sound of the bow.
USMC 82-86

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
6 years compound, got burned out from being too "accurate". I started shooting in 8th grade, quit shooting when I went in the Army. Acquired another compound, then about 2 years ago picked up a recurve. LOVE LOVE LOVE trad shooting!

L.R.  :D
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
When I started I shot the dreaded C bow for about 5yrs. Then I seen the light and haven't looked back since.

It's been 20x years and I hope to be doing this for the rest of my life. Gotta love sticks and strings.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
ill be honest with ya, i still have a newer PSE compound that i love to shoot. i shoot 3d with it so its kinda like the bow ill use if my grouping is horrible oneday to get my stirits back up. i still love my recurves and i hunt with them. i started shooting traditonal after my grandpa passed and he left me his pearson recurve so i began to shoot im memory of him. i started and couldnt stop. LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE COMES ACROSS A 1966 PEARSON PALIMINO!!
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
28 years shooting a compound.I have shot recurves and longbows off and on over the years.I started shooting trad only in 2010 because shooting and hunting with a compound just got too complicated and i was not enjoying archery anymore.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
i shot recurves from the time i was a wee lad until i was 19
then on to the wheel bows
after 5-6 years got bored as all get out with it
dug out my ol recurve and managed to take a doe  in the first week back at it that was 15 years ago and im lovin it more than ever
kevin

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I started out shooting recurves 30+ years ago but in 87' I was given my first compound & I was hooked to the dark side for 22 years.

Now for 2 years now I've returned to Bare Bow Recurve or Traditional Recurve & am the happiest since.
My switch was because the challenge & the desire was not there any more with the compounds & all the gadgetry & one day when my release broke & I couldn't shoot my 32" A-A compound with my fingers more than 2-3 times gave me the revelation that I needed to take a step back & not rely so much on the gadgets but on my abilities from the past.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I shot recurves from the time I was 13 until mid 20's than switched to wheelies with no sights. I shot them for about 5-6 yrs. than came back into the light for the last 25 yrs.

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
first all trad year will not be my last, already got a "cheap" PRICE ON MY WHEELIE

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Didn't try a compound until long after buying a longbow. Held onto the wheelbow for awhile but finally sold it. Just like stickbows better.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I used to shoot compound in tourneys but got bored with the "golfers",shhh I'm about to shoot,4' stabilizers,binocoulars,target cards,8-10 minutes per shot.Heard a lot of laughter one day in the group ahead of us so I went to investigate.A great group of trad archers having a blast.Two weeks later I was shooting in their group.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by coltar:
I used to shoot compound in tourneys but got bored with the "golfers",shhh I'm about to shoot,4' stabilizers,binocoulars,target cards,8-10 minutes per shot.Heard a lot of laughter one day in the group ahead of us so I went to investigate.A great group of trad archers having a blast.Two weeks later I was shooting in their group.
Know what you mean, I used to get the "you never competed before have you" when I would talk or laugh or the long wait to have my turn because some one has to guess, look, guess again, look again, maybe adjust their sight, look again, maybe shoot.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I still shoot both. I shoot my longbows more than my compounds and have more fun hunting with the trad gear..... if I really need some meat for the freezer I reach for the compound. I only hunt turkeys with a longbow and have been hunting more and more during deer season with trad only

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I've never shot the "other" bow other than showing my brothers how to shoot theirs....
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
I shot target recurves as a kid up through college.  I bought a compound and aluminum arrows as I was convinced I needed that for hunting.  After about two years I sold it and bought a hunting recurve and went back to cedar.  That was in 1982.  Never looked back; though I did buy a longbow and still have it though it is seldom used.  I'm just a recurve guy.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©