3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight tubes, Does any one...........  (Read 484 times)

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight tubes, Does any one...........
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Any of you guys that use weight tubes ever try 2 different weight tubes in a arrow, using a heavier tube in the front half and a lighter in the back half to acheave weight forward ? The idea seems like it would work but i was wondering if any do that or have tried it.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weight tubes, Does any one...........
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Something tells me that with the 2 different tubes inside the arrow, with use the tubes would impact each other inside the arrow causing possible variances in tune and/or flight character of the arrow.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Just use nylon rope, cut to length according to the weight you need. Cheeper, quieter and packs tite in the front after a couple of shots for improved FOC.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
I've used weight tubes before and like them, and if cut to the correct length there would not be any way for the tubes to slide back and forth or move causing any problems or erratic arrow flight. They are designed to be cut to length fitting snug between the insert and the nock.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I have done it with Beman MFX shafting and decided it was overly obsessive even for me and I can be pretty obsessive. What I have discovered is that I can load up the front end with multiple brass inserts (up to two 100 grainers) to achieve more f.o.c. than with tubes and never have my nocks blowing out.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
For me the best way to get weight forward is to use more front weight for a higher FOC in tuning.Carbon Express Maxima has the weight forward built into those shafts,but they are a bit more expensive shafts.Useing to different gpi weight tubes isn't really going to get that much weight forward.It won't be adding very much weight forward in my opinion,you will get more with heavier inserts or points.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
What causes nocks blowing out?

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I agree with Nathan, weight tubes work well if cut to full length. If you try to use multiple pieces, you will kick your nock out upon impact. From experience I know. I all so like Jims multiple inserts up forward. Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Impact or the accumulation of impacts on a surface like closed cell hard foam, the internal frame of some 3d targets, especially a tree or wooden target frame if you m'm'm'm'm'm'miss! The tube/tubes simply come back on impact against the relatively lightly pressure-fitted nocks.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I am not a friend of weight tubes, they don't work with the bows I am shooting. I use fitting  nylon rope instead. I do that to weigh up lighter (and cheaper) carbon shafts either full length or only the first 40% of the length.
You do that while installing your insert.
Shove the rope in until the end is just slightly in the shaft, put epoxy at the end of the insert which should have a field point installed with waxed threads. This makes sure no epoxy gets into the threads. It also makes sure, that the rope is connected to the insert and wont move.
Works much better than weight tubes, because it will not affect spine. Weight tubes do.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Adding weight always affects spine.

I would think the rope would bunch up eventually and raise your FOC.  Can't say I've ever tried it, though.

If you want FOC, I'd just change your point weight or go with a brass or steel insert.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline SteveT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
On some GT'S i just made for someone, i took a shaft to the hardware store and found water line tubing that fit well and cut some pieces i think 13 in. long as well as alum. shaft glued on the front for weight foward, the reason for cutting is because he wanted them to weigh a certain weight, i took pliers and crimp the edge about every 3in or so and stuff them in the front, they dont move and work great, we shot them several times with no problems, hope this helps...SteveT

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
AAhHAHaHAhHAhHAhHahHAhhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Did y'all see Biggie's ruff stand up?!?!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
i use 550 cord works pretty well
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Sorry.....couldn't help it.

Some of you guys have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands  8-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Tell me about it! (and I'm looking in the mirror!)

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I have used pieces of the same weight in arrow shafts before with no ill effects. In my opinion your plan would work if everything was the same length but there is no need for it. Adding weighted insert makes the shafts act a little weaker.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
My wieght tubes always push my inserts out!!  Now I just buy stiff carbons and load up the front ....lots of weight!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©