3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the better Turkey Broadhead  (Read 417 times)

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
the better Turkey Broadhead
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »
aiming for the heart Lung area on a Turkey is a pretty small target, the head neck area is bigger target to aim for and the best broadhead for that target is the either the Bullhead or the Gillotine. lots of turkey are mortaly hit and lost with a regular broadhead, with the 2 bullhead type heads you either hit and kill or miss an not wound or kill.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: the better Turkey Broadhead
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
Unless you hit them in the body with one of those. Then you just break a wing or a leg and they can still get away.

Those are good heads but "BETTER" I am not so sure. Lots of sides to that coin buddy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
You can still hit them in the neck and lose them, or cut their beaks off. 2 seasons ago I shot 2 Toms, on consecutive days at less than 10yds in the center of the neck, on video(so I could confirm the hit). Both times the arrow bounced/deflected off and the birds ran off leaving no blood. One actually went to the other side of the field to harass hens. I switched to woodsmans, snuffers and terminators and have been 6 for 6 with standard shots. I prefer them facing straight away, but have taken them at all angles

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
No they are not broadheads for body shots, mostly the neck, which is the biggest vital area on a turkey. Skipmasteer did you take off the little plstic covers they have on the blades,

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by howler:
aiming for the heart Lung area on a Turkey is a pretty small target, the head neck area is bigger target to aim for and the best broadhead for that target is the either the Bullhead or the Gillotine. lots of turkey are mortaly hit and lost with a regular broadhead, with the 2 bullhead type heads you either hit and kill or miss an not wound or kill.
I watched a Bullhead from a 50lb Samick Sage hit a big Tom just below the neck. Apparently one of the 3 blades hit the lower body and the arrow flipped upward and the tom took off unscathed except for a few feathers.

I have 3 Bullheads that I paid 40 bucks for. 1 has been shot at a Tom and the other 2 are brand new, they are for sale    :biglaugh:
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:33:00 AM »
1 other thing. I have the Bullhead video and they use compounds. I noticed the jakes and hens heads pop off and that the Bullhead might work okay for smaller turkeys, but I won't be using one at all. I will just wait for a back shot with my regular old Magnus stinger or 2 blade.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by howler:
No they are not broadheads for body shots, mostly the neck, which is the biggest vital area on a turkey. Skipmasteer did you take off the little plstic covers they have on the blades,
Yes, the ones I had were never shot, shaving sharp and my arrows were tuned to perfection. The shots did not hit the body at all, I hit dead center of an outstretched neck about half way between the head and body. I honestly think if I was a half inch either way on either shot I would have lopped their heads off. The hits were dead center so all that made contact was that little bullet tip. I was shooting a 49# longbow, so not a ton of weight but should have been plenty. If I took those same shots with a standard BH, I'm sure I would have taken their heads off.
The other thing I didn't really like was passing up great shot opportunities waiting for the bird to look away and still present an outstretched neck.

Not saying they don't work, I've seen plenty of people who love them, but they will never go back on my arrows.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »
Hard to beat a big Simmons or snuffer...RC

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
BOS - "Big Ole Snuffer"
Jeff Couture

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
I have a pack, but they just sit.  I have a stckbow buddy that has shot a LOT of turkeys.  He tried them and has had poor results.  I prefer to learn from others I trust so I stick with the Snuffers.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I was going to post a question earlier this week about what is the best broadhead for turkeys. Thats the great thing about this forum, if you just set around the fire and listen you can learn alot.  I guess it will probably be snuffers for my turkeys!! Thanks guys.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I'll stick with my Magnus or Zwickey 2 blades. 4 dead turkeys in three seasons would testify to their effectiveness if they could.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
Snuffers baby!!!
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
BIG Snuffers for me.  Won't use anything else!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
They look good, but I can't bring myself to shoot one at a turkey.

Much prefer a Magnus I w/bleeder.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
If only they made a collar/adapter that could be mounted behind a broadhead, like a slotted woodie weight with blades inserted.............or epoxy the blades along the back edge of a snuffer, 90' to the shaft to widen the cutting path by an inch or so per blade????
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Bullheads work! I've only lost one bird out of 15 with snuffers but I had to chase everyone of them down. Shot my last bird with a 50# recurve and a bullhead and watched him tip over on the spot. My wife's fall bird dropped on the spot also. She shoots a 42# compound. I like the idea of actually being able to see the vitals, the head isn't covered by a bunch of feathers that all look alike. My 2 cents.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
This was covered on another thread recently...

Yes, decapitation type heads work...but just like anything else...it's not cut and dry..."kill or miss".

I think the main problem is some use equipement that is too light for those heads.

It's been said here and I've seen video to proove it...it's just not that way!

I, like Charlie sure have thought about shooting them, but just have a hard time doing it...

Sharp bh to the vitals for me...I also beleive the more you cut the better!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
Big Snuffers, MagnusI, Zwickey Delta, Simmons Sharks, anything big and bad! I believe shot placement and a sharp broadhead will do the trick every time! Get 'em sharp, i used to think that keeping the arrow in the bird was optimal for recovery(the fletching would be easier to see in the brush), and id only sharpen main blades and just touch the bleeders with a file! It may have had some merit, but a shot in the boiler room with one of the afformentioned head, and many others will result in a short tracking job!

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I've shot at 4 turkeys with Magnus 2 blades and I have recovered them all.  All shots to the body and all have dropped within sight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©