3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: burlap target filler  (Read 527 times)

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
burlap target filler
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
was going to buy a burlap sack deer target(unstuffed) from a magazine and was wondering what you all had best of luck as a filler that would stop an arrow.. thanks graybark

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: burlap target filler
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Stuffing from wally world, the stuff for pillows and I also use bags from the stores, old clothes. Just remember to stuff them loosely.. Don't pack it in tight...

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
ask in any shop for plastic stuffing. they get it when they receive stuff in the packages and throw it away, theyll give you as much as ou can transport.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I get my burlap bags from a coffee roasting shop in the closest big town.  They give them away to whoever gets there first.
Go to your local grocery store and have them save their shrink wrap for a couple of days.  There will be plenty to stuff even the biggest burlap target!  Great for field points and some blunts but will not stop broadheads.  For broadheads I buy 2" pink styrofoam, 4'X8' sheet, and cut into 4 - 6 equal pieces and glue together.  Hope that helps.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
El-cheapo plastic tarps.... anytime anyone was trashing one I would take it and use it later to stuff targets. Also pretty cheap at some of the close-out/surpluse stores.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
I usually just hang mine on some hay bales as a target face. Works for me.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Teach777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
If there is a furniture store and/or furniture rental store nearby, the white styrofoam sheeting used to cover the furniture in shipment works well for me.
The reverse side also has a reverse side.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Empty wood/corn pellet bags, the ones for pellet stoves. Also shrink wrap or plastic drop cloth for painting.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
I found a bunch of old plastic/nylon screening that a local tent manufacturer was tossing.  Works great.  I also have one of the U Stuff It deer targets filled with old woven plastic feed bags.  Also works great.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Old window screens.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Stash all your used plastic grocery bags and fill them with those.  

-Mike
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Dan Quillains indoor range used ladies underwear LOL he told me it was seconds from a mill

worked great so my vote would be old clothes

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by bobman:
Dan Quillains indoor range used ladies underwear LOL he told me it was seconds from a mill

worked great so my vote would be old clothes
and afterwards you can ask "did you hit a undie or a bra?" instead of "did you hit the kill?"
   :biglaugh:
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Go to Lowe's ask the dept.manager in lumber for the plastic sheeting that is used to cover the white wood during shipment. They get a truck once a week.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
What Mike Mecredy said. Plastic grocery and walmart type bags, etc. Pack them in there real tight. Once you shoot up the burlap cover, and need to replace it, you can use the same filler plus a few fresh ones.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
great ideas guys thanks, on the plastic grocery bags or plastic sheets do they need to be packed in tight or loose or just enough to be snug??

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
The tighter I pack mine, the less penetration I get. lol
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
I replaced all the bags (24) for the local archery club last year on the bow hunter range.

The Pres of the club works at K-Mart and brought truck loads of plastic bags and shrink wrap.

The shrink wrap works best to stop arrows. I stuffed the burlap bags full of plastic bags and compacted them with my feet. I filled the bags until I had just enough material to sew the top of bag shut 3/4 of the width of the bag. Then finished stuffing and sewed the remainder shut.

These bags were out since March of 2010 with hundreds of people shooting them. Some of the compounders are starting to shoot through them now but I still only get a few inches of penetration with recurve.

If you use shrink wrap and really compact it tight your arrows will bounce off sometimes.
PBS  Member

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by saumensch:
ask in any shop for plastic stuffing. they get it when they receive stuff in the packages and throw it away, theyll give you as much as ou can transport.
Shrink Wrap

Any heavy plastic. Like Black plastic and the plastic bags used for potting soil work well.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
Stash all your used plastic grocery bags and fill them with those.  

-Mike
Ditto!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement