3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Schafer Limbs: Fast flight or Dacron?  (Read 502 times)

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
New Schafer Limbs: Fast flight or Dacron?
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Hello All,

I've got a Schafer Silvertip recurve that Dave made new for me in 1998.  Daves going to re-finish the riser and make me a new set of limbs.

I'm dropping from 59 lbs to 53 lbs at my 30.5" draw.  It might turn out to be 52 or 51 lbs.

I'm debating whether or not to go with the Fast Flight option.  All I've ever shot is Dacron B-50.  FF will add roughly 8 fps. I'm more interested in being quiet than being fast.  But I hope to kill several more elk.

Any advice about Silvertips with dacron versus those with FF would be appreciated!

Thanks, Paul
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Schafer Limbs: Fast flight or Dacron?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Paul,

I only have Dave's FF model, and my bow is very quiet. That being said, I would think if you could pick up a few more fps, and stay quiet, that would be the ticket. And with these skinny strings as an option that would also help in noise reduction.

Now on the other hand you already know what you have with the B-50, and it works for you.

Sorry I have been of NO help! Ha!!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm having a Silvertip made. I'm trying to decide whether FF or not and give up 100% exotic in the riser. As you know bow isn't warranted for FF unless there is Dymondwood in the riser.

I'm leaing pretty hard towards the FF though because the bit of extra umph is like adding 5# to my draw weight. Since I only shoot around 46# this extra bit might be an aid.

I'm of no help to you either!  I am shooting a Dacron loaner from a Trad Ganger and it is terrific!

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks CDR.  I appreciate any advice I can get!

The only bow I've pulled with FF is a friend's Black widow.  Compared to my dacron B-50 string, it had zero give.

I just wondered if that was the bow or the FF string?

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Got both styles - not much if any difference at all. This is my opinion? course my FF is 55# and the dacron is 62# both 64" bows. Couple fps? really no biggie.

If I had to do over again I would do the FF - dont know why? just would. If I had my heart set on exotics though the FF option wouldn't keep me from doing so.

Jason

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
No question it would be fastflight for me I like the way the bow feels and preforms way better would not ever put b50 back on any of my bows.   Widow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
I would go with FF. You could always use Dacron.

I have never shot a Schafer Slivertip but I do have a top of the line recurve and the bowyer recommended Dacron as the bow would last longer. With Dacron it has a lot of hand shock, with FF no hand shock.

If was me I would go with FF.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
J-dog, I know one bow is lighter than the other, but does the FF feel noticeably harder to pull?

Thanks, Paul

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I would prefer FF on just about any new bow, including a Schafer. Nothing wrong with a lamination of Dymondwood in the riser, and if you really prefer to use B50, it is always an option on a bow build for FF strings. There is nothing magic about a Schafer when it comes to using B50 or FF. The principles are the same on any similar bow. Dave does build great bows, and you will be thrilled with anything he makes for you.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Thats a really good point.  If for some reason I didn't like the FF string, I could go back to the Dacron.

The only difference in the limbs is an extra re-enforcing layer in the limb tips.

Offline artelkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Tall, just had Dave build a silvertip and relimb another one for me. Bow hush really puts the quiet on the FF.  I wouldn't worry about it. I had them both built with skins, canebrake skins were great but the water moccasin are fantastic! The best camo I've ever seen for bow limbs. Art

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
When I ordered my 3pc Schafer LB I really wanted an all exotic riser too. Dave however built a riser with Dymondwood and Rosewood  and the stain and finish are just amazing. Prettiest riser I have seen.
The bow is super quiet with a skinny string and 2 small wool silencers.

Offline Andrew Downs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
I have a Silvertip with a set of FF limbs and a set of non FF. (The riser is FF rated)

I shoot FF strings on both now. Yes I know - it voids the warranty on the non-FF set.

I would also choose FF over B-50; to me the bow feels crisper with less handshock and play in the bow.

Cheers

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »
My inclination would be toward the FF option.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
I don't consider any bow that can't carry a FF string.Not only because it is faster with less hand shock etc etc. but because it lasts much longer on hunting situations.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
I have both, very satisfied with both. If you are going with Dymondwood, no reason not to go FF. But if exotic wood is your thing, dacron shoots just as well from my Tips. You'll be happy with either in my opinion.
David M. Conroy

Offline jon boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
I put an SBD 8 strand on my 52# FF limbs.  Both faster and quieter than anything else I have used.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
like yornoc said;  if you want dymondwood then why not go FF.... myself, i wanted the exotic wood riser (shedua w/ a zebra wood accent stripe & zebrea wood limbs) so my silvertip isn't FF. even if you gain 10 fps with FF i don't think a deer will be able to tell. my 2 cents is: go for the look (wood combo, etc.) that you want!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Most of the bowyers offering an exotic wood riser supply also FF limbswith out any issue about that.I think that also the Shafer risers are bombproof with a ff limb,just Dave doesn't want to risk.For myself I have on order an exotic wood riser and FF limbs for him and I risk to don't be covered by the warranty,but I am pretty sure to don't have any issue for that.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I would never spend that much money and get a non FF bow.

Does anyone know why Dave will not use exotics in the riser for a FF bow?Every other bowyer does it.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©