3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tough choice ( I think)  (Read 483 times)

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Tough choice ( I think)
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Here's the deal...
I recently made the decision to go trad for this years hunting season. I bought a sweet longbow, got set up with some wooden arrows, and began practicing. Sounds good right....well I got the bug so much I dug out my OLD shakespeare necedah, got some aluminums and started shooting. Well in just a short time I am just as good if not better with the old bow as I am with the new one. And to make it worse, the old bow is significantly faster. I need to run em thru a chrono. But now I don;t know what to do? I love the new bow I bought, but I think I'd feel more confident with a more powerful bow.
The longbow is 50#, the recurve is 55#. Any tips?

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tough choice ( I think)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
shoot 'em both  :)
Dances with Turtles

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Shoot the bow you like the best or the one you want to like the best until you get good with it. I just switched to my "new baby", a longbow after 6 years of recurve and now feel a new zest for shooting. if you are going to HUNT with it though you are morally obligated to shoot either bow you use well enough to expect to kill the animal the overwhelming majority of the time. Weight and speed of the arrow doesn't weigh in that much IMO unless maybe you are hunting a moose!  :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Shoot both for now, and have fun!!! Eventually you will get things figured out. I think you will be just fine with either bow.
Bill

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Heck shoot them both till ya decide which one ya like best.<><.
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Shoot the bow that makes you feel the most confident this year and then next year switch to the other bow and shoot nothing else.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
I've got a $1,200 TD longbow (very well known / sought after bow) and a $500 1-piece longbow (I bought it for half that used)....I love 'em both....but I shoot the less expensive bow better.  I shot a pig with the 'spensive bow, now I'm putting it aside for the rest of the year.  I'm going to shoot the "cheap" bow the rest of the year.  No shame in choosing the bow that shoots best.
homebru

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
It's how the bow shoots for you not what it cost that matters. Confidence is priceless.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
ar you a righty or lefty?

If you're a lefty, I think you should shoot that expensive longbow and sell me that crappy old Shakespere. LOL  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
The Shakespeare is an old friend. The new longbow is a new one. You don't have to choose one friend over another. Shoot the one you want to each day just decide.Then have fun with the friend you're with.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline kcbrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »
I always find myself coming back to my old bear K-mag, it and a Kodiak Hunter. The arrows out of those bows always seem to go where you are looking. Shoot them both, you will know which one is the moneymaker.
She said " did you see that?" He said "Of course!!!" She said " Why did you step in it then?"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Keep them both and pick one to get really good with.  There will come a point of diminishing returns where you don't feel like you are getting any better of you have a really bad day or two in a row. Then you can pick up the other one and fling some arrows with it.  I have done this several times and even though it is not the bow that is shooting bad having a different bow in your hand can and sometimes does make all the difference between hanging it up and bringing the joy back.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
shoot'em both. during hunting season i have all my bows ready to go. when i get ready to leave in the morning i just grab the one that feels right for the day. no reason you can't hunt with the old & new....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Like paleface said.Take one out every other hunt.

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just keep shooting both and then see how things feel when he season comes, or like some said just grab which one feels right that day.

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Same "problem" here.  I have several longbows that shoot good but I just can't leave my old Black Bear Hunter sitting too long on the rack.  Seems like the first shot out of that bow is on the mark every time...plus shooting it is like visiting an old friend since I have had it over 20 years.  I definately plan to hunt with it some this fall but on the flipside I can't leave those pretty longbows sitting there with nothing to do either!!!  What a great problem to have.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Shoot them both and when it comes time to hunt. Shoot the one you shoot best. There has been some great improvements in trad bows over the years, but the fastest older bows are within 10fps. of most of todays bows. The fastest may be 20fps faster, speed is overrated. Shoot the one that is quick, quiet and you shoot the best. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©