3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips on hunting dog pressured hogs  (Read 457 times)

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips on hunting dog pressured hogs
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
I enjoy it- not u enjoy it.

Offline Limey Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
I guess I`m very much in the minority. Thats ok, more and more these days it`s become an advantage.
I`m also in the minority if thats ya`lls experience with hog dogs. We generally hunt public land, in fact leaving for Florida at midnight  tonight,]. We only have 3 dogs and non of them catch. If we get to the dogs and they have a pig bayed we generally kill it and take it home. I will tip my hat to the gentleman who said bows had been used longer than dogs. i have to agree and was obviously talking out my hat.
I am surprised that Mr Hoffman doesn`t feel killing a 40# pig is worth while, or maybe his experience ids they kill it and leave it lay, which is deplorable.

To give a nod to the original post I would hunt on off days like mid week or so. In my experience pigs stay on a 2-3 day feeding route and the group that was gone when the dogs where there will show up sooner or later.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marty:
I enjoy it- not u enjoy it.
Fingers too fat for the keys on the iphone eh?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Nope- holdin a dog and typin.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
now that's funny Marty!

I have never seen hog hunting with dogs have any impact on hog population at my club in Cohoma Co Mississippi. HogCowboys do not even make a dent. I have same amount of trail pics of same hogs hours after they leave. so I disagree with those that say dog ruins the hunting.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Enjoy hearing apack un a race! nothign against dog hunting as I enjoy it - but each of us have had differing experiences. Wouldn't judge all by a one hunt or experience though.

Feel your pain as well - as deer here are super nocturnal after being pushed by dogs. HOWEVER - I have many times killed deer that were stirred up into walking by a pack of close proximity hounds. These deer were not the focus of the pack and the deer knew it. But not wanting to become the focus of the pack they just stepped side. I have had deer walk out right behind a pack of hounds - within minutes of their passing through my area.

Far as hogs go? I will throw an inexperienced idea - is there any thicker areas you can crawl into? They prolly just going to stay and hold tight in that thick stuff. Know I speak of deer but that is what I will do for them - get a stand up in the stuff I have to cut a trail into witha blade weed whacker!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I've been hog dogging once. It was a little loud for me (the squealing). I don't have a problem with it at all as long as they're on land that they have permission to be on.

Hogs are really thick in TX...a serious problem across the state. They are not a game animal...they are a feral animal.  It may turn the stomachs of some, but I'm all for killing them in any fashion available. I also don't care if they're eaten or left in the field.  

As to the original question:  If you can walk and stalk...I'd get to where the water is and find the thickest brush you can. Try to find them laid up rather than waiting for them to cross your path on their way to food.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
Any pressured game will seek the safest cover which is 99% nocturnal. Borrow some dogs of your own.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
sorry Ibex in advance for getting off topic, but the cruelity extends to the dogs as well, we have fellows on our lease who are always having dogs killed or badly wounded by boars, they wont use the kevlar dog vests due to the boars "cutters" hanging in the material, and then the person running the dogs is as said above killing them with a knife or other means that do not set well at all with me, its not a quick kill for the pig or dog.. and basicly a blood letting
    sorry had to get that off my chest

but pressured hogs need to be hunted on the trails to a food source not at the source in my experience
 thanks Dave
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Here in California in areas that have traditionally used dogs to bay up hogs (like Booneville, Ca.) the pigs are extremely on edge all the time to the extent that they are likely to charge at even the slightest sound when they are in thicker cover making it a danger for ground hunting bowhunters. In open terrain they simply line out away from you and will not stop until they have put several ridge tops between them and whatever they heard.  That is the downfall of hunting hogs that have been run by dogs alot in my experience.  Good luck.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©