3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver preference  (Read 847 times)

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver preference
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
My better half wants to get me a quiver for my birthday. Being a Newbie, what are the pros and cons of a bow, hip, or back quiver. I intend to walk the woods stump shooting/3d. And eventually hunt in wooded areas. My thoughts are a hip quiver catches in the brush, a back quiver could catch in low branches, and a bow mounted one could affect the shot. I only want to buy one, just thought some experienced opinions would help me decide.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver preference
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I like Great Northern bow quivers,they dont add a lot of weight to my bow and my selfbow seems to shoot better for me with it.I have the 5 arrow quiver but when hunting I only put 4 in it.Four stickbow shooters in the family,3 of us using these quivers and  number 4 going to get 1 soon.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I think my side quiver is the cat's arse.

It won't catch on brush if you adjust it so you can tuck it into your side with your elbow.  And the arrows are pointing the direction you're moving so they are less noisy and less apt to snag.  You can get them out easily even with a waterproof fletch cover.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
I've used a back quiver to stump shoot for decades. Big enough to carry as many arrows as you want, extra tips, glue, string even your lunch!. As far as catching it on limbs, I just rotate it, one handed, to below my arm. Clear the obstacle and pull it back up one handed again. Plus you can decorate it with feathers, bones, rocks, bead work and what ever you want.
I think it's a good choice for a first quiver.
If your hooked on trad, it won't be your last.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I hunt with a back quiver -it has drawbacks,but it looks cool. I shoot in the yard with a side quiver and have stumped with it also-it has drawbacks as well.I cant shoot with anything on my bow-I guess thats a drawback for me.I am looking to make a sealed bottom draw back quiver-drawback is I never have time.To date I have never found a quiver that didn't have some kind of drawback to it.I am hoping the sealed bottom draw will be the ticket.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I like my Arrow Master pretty well. Having a bow quiver on the bow is convenient, but I think my bow is more balanced and a little quieter without one. I also shoot very bright fletch and wraps which I don't like flashing around as I am drawing. I hang it around my tree and can easily grab an arrow for another shot with little movement. Its also quieter when stalking than most other back quivers and can be worn on the side as well. It also has a pouch which is large enough to hold everything I need for short afternoon or morning hunts. I think  a lot of this stuff it boils down to personal preference. They all have their good points and bad points.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Which is better...blondes, brunettes, or red heads?  The same with quivers. You will wind up trying lots of different ones in your search for the right one only to discover there is no perfect quiver--it depends on your particular needs for the hunt at any given time.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
i have the same Quiver as stumpkiller i made it a year ago and i can not fault it at all it does every thing you would want a Quiver to do. and whats more they are easy to make.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
I agree with Stumpkiller. I have Chief side quiver that is much the same as the one in the pic. As Stumpkiller says, it's "the cat's arse". For the reasons he states it's the best quiver I've ever used.

I noticed that the Asbell side quiver (see ad at top os page) is now available with a wool hood. That would make it quieter in the woods. Looks to be a very practical quiver. The only thing it lacks is a cover to protect fletches from rain.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
I have several quiver types.  I have not found the perfect quiver yet. I prefer bow quivers for hunting and I want them to be quick detach. The best working one for me is the Mathews Arrowweb T5 but it requires a circular metal bracket which doesn't fit the look of a fine wooden riser. I have Great Northerns; side insert, limb bolt and strap on. All have disadvantages.

I saw a small quiver _3-4 arrows) with a leather hood on a table at the ATA show. It was at the Samick and 3River's booth. The nice fellows at the Samick booth couldn't understand a word of Kentuckian and I didn't get to ask the 3Rivers guys about it. The hood was 2-tone (black and brown).  Anyone see it? No what it is?

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
i perfer the back quiver as of now. i will try a bow quiver someday cause i hate having arrows stick up from my back when hunting
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
For small game, a back quiver is a must but it has to fit properly. As stated above, all quivers havc their disadvantages.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
I like bow quivers the best for hunting especially if the use the amo bushings for attachment. Next would be back and side quivers. I like hip quivers the least, they are always in the way. About back quivers, I like them better than side quivers because I think it is more comfortable, but it has to be able to pull under your arm to go through brush. Then you have the best of both.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I've used bow quivers and really dislike them.  I have a Chuck Adams hip quiver for 8 arrows - nice but no cigar.  I made a three arrow hip quiver that is feather light but like all hip quivers I have used the fletching is waving around with every step.  

I bought my last quiver last spring, a Safari Tuff Arrow Master side quiver - I love it.  Hides the whole arrow but still has easy access to anything in it.  I hunted for two weeks in Colorado in September with a day pack and the Arrow Master - IMHO the best stalking quiver design out there.

You might not like that specific quiver for some reason but I don't think you can fault the "side quiver" design.  It does and has everything I need in a quiver.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Arrowmaster is the most functional quiver I have found for all the reasons that Pete just mentioned.  It carries well, protects my broadheads, keeps my feathers dry and quiet.  Those are in my mind the most important attributes of a good quiver, and the Arrowmaster does them all well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
One quiver.......don't think that's possible....   :biglaugh:   good luck!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Was Pete McMiller talking to me? Anyway I never said I did not like side quivers, I just think that the back quiver is more comforable in its neutral carry position. As for the SafariTuff quiver, I have not used it. However I learned to shoot proficiently the Rod Jenkins way and love his bow cases, so I am sure it is well thought out and of top quality. Too many people use them and like them for it to be subpar.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
It may not win beauty contests, but for functionality the Great Northern is hard to beat.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
i like my arrowmaster as well, altho i'd like to try the eagles flite bow quiver also.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Hi Bigbadjon,

No I wasn't relating my comments to or about anyone but myself.  Just my opinions on what works for me.  I 'may' have a tendency to think my way is the best sometimes - I'm trying to change................ really  :)
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©