3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver preference  (Read 845 times)

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver preference
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
I'm with ron w on this one.......just ONE quiver,  :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  .

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
For stump shooting, I like to shoot judo points, blunts and hammerheads.  When stump shooting, I use a cheap (under $10) clip on quiver that is round and fairly large diameter that allows for easy removal of arrows.

For hunting with broadheads,  I have tried a few bow-mounted quivers and really like the Great Northern detachable quiver for my 3-piece takedown longbow if I use a bow quiver.  The biggest problem with a bow quiver for me is hunting in high winds.  In Nebraska, windy conditions are common, causing the bow-mounted quiver to act like a sail and making accuracy more difficult.

For hunting I have come to prefer a GFA quiver (moose hide autographed version from Ron LaClair, sponsor) that hangs over your shoulder by a single nylon web strap.  It is very functional, goes through brush well and holds arrows securely.  It is not a great design for stump shooting if you plan on shooting a lot of arrows on a given outing but is a great hunting quiver in my opinion.

I have never liked hip quivers, and back quivers look cool but aren't as comfortable for me.  But the cool factor for back quivers and the ability to hold lots of arrows is a consideration.

My recommendation is buy a cheap quiver for stump shooting.  By used and cheap of other types to find what you like.  Then spend a little more to get a quality quiver of the style(s) that meet your needs and that you personally enjoy!  Whatever, you choose, please consider buying from one of the many fine sponsors of Tradang.  They are a great bunch!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
The Great Northern is a great bow quiver and works well. I have one and have used it a great deal. I still use it from time to time.

I am making a side quiver for a winter project I like working with leather as a hobby. I will use it for 3D and target shooting and it will see use in the field come fall.

I picked up an Arrowmaster last year they are everything I wanted in a hunting quiver and more.
Should last me the rest of my days hunting.

There are other quivers in the house that I have and use. I have several back quivers. There is one I use almost every time I go rabbit or squirrel hunting no reason other than it has all my small game arrows in it. Quivers are kind of like peanuts or potato chips hard to stop at one.

All of that being said if I could have one quiver it would be an Arrowmaster but that is just me.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
No such thing as a "perfect" quiver....but the Safari Tuff "Arrowmaster" is pretty dang close.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by ron w:
One quiver.......don't think
that's possible....    :biglaugh:    good luck!
Kind of like owning only one bow, eh? It just ain't done.  :D
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 05:06:00 AM »
After years of using and deciding, I have narrowed it down, HH back and a Bowers stalker side quiver. Oh the money I have spent on quivers.

Good luck on one quiver. If you can borrow some friends quivers to try that is the route I would take.

Earl

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 05:44:00 AM »
I have gone from bow quiver to GFA to Arrowmaster. Now I'm back with the GFA
Tom

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Which is better...blondes, brunettes, or red heads?  The same with quivers. You will wind up trying lots of different ones in your search for the right one only to discover there is no perfect quiver--it depends on your particular needs for the hunt at any given time.
Well said...true enough!  It took me too many years to find out what I didn't like....

Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I think my side quiver is the cat's arse.   :thumbsup:  

It won't catch on brush if you adjust it so you can tuck it into your side with your elbow.  And the arrows are pointing the direction you're moving so they are less noisy and less apt to snag.  You can get them out easily even with a waterproof fletch cover.

I also find that a side quiver serves me the best...Art Vincent made mine about 7 years ago. Was called and Adcock Stalker I believe...

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I prefer one of our (EFA) mid size 4 arrow bow quivers with the totem and wing features. It's very lightweight, well made, easy to get on and off, and doesn't change how the bow feels in hand, or how it shoots. It's convenient to take off at the stand if you feel inclined to do so.

A bow quiver and arrows on a bow could be a flash point for deer, or whatever, if you have bright fletching or cresting. However, I belive that Terry Green once said that a bow quiver and arrows gave him cover to hide behind when deer had spotted him. I haven't had that opportunity but if you get caught drawing your bow, it would be something to consider.

I had not really considered seriously putting a quiver on a primitive bow until recently. Someone called me yesterday who very excited about his recent experience. He had put an EFA bow quiver on a very fast David Knight primitive bow and said that it was shooting better. We hear that occassionaly, but I can't imagine him shooting any better.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
It's all a personal preferance. I myself prefer a bow quiver. I like the added weight, and the ease of the arrow being right there at hand. I also carry a pac seat, so a back quiver for me is kinda cumbersome. I don't have anything against the others, but the bow quiver works better for me. JMHO! Good Luck! Jason

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
+1 for the Great Northern bow quiver.  I like taking as little as possible with me in the woods so the fewer things I have to scoop up and run out of the house with after work the better.

Offline Larry Altizer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
I like a sturdy bow mounted quiver for hunting and a side quiver for target practice.

The only way your goina find what you like is to try a few different quivers.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
When I said only one quiver I guess I should have made it more clear. There are times where I love to use a back quiver ,other times a side stalker. I have several bow quivers, EFA, Kanati, Selway,Great Northern, A home made solo stalker. I also have and use a couple of homemade GFA style quivers. 2 of my favorites are a Mini Cat and a Cat Quiver II. For me to have one.......ain't gonna happen!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I guess it depends on how many arrows you want to be using. For hunting you are only going to be using a MAX of 4 arrows, 3D shoots would be 1 to 12 depending how mean the course is. Stumping and fun shooting would be as many arrows with as many arrow heads you can fit in.
Sometimes if I am just shooting at a target I will shoot 20 arrows into it before getting them out, but other times I will shoot 1 to 3 arrows because that feels right. So as been said before one quiver.....Have not find it yet but I keep on looking.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
It's stalker type quivers for me.  I just bought a Safari Tuff arrow master  side quiver, and really like the looks of it. I use them for 3-D, and stumping, and am going to start using them for hunting.
Ken Thornhill

Online last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I like a side quiver like those made by cedar ridge leather works listed in the sponsers list.  It holds the arows securly and the broadheads are well protected for hunting.  That said, lately I have been using a mini BOA bow quiver.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 04:07:00 AM »
At long last I have decided on a skookum bow mounted 3 arrow quiver. IT looks the part and I Just figured to have a small bow mounted one for hunting would be good, and not easy to self build, and to make a larger back quiver for carrying more if/when needed. Thanks for all the input, I would have liked to buy from one of the advertisers but living in Europe and shipping it here would have taken too long for my birthday.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »
I've used them all. I now use back quivers.

Bow quiver
Advantages: convenient; allows you to use a back pack or hydration pack.
Disadvantages: limited number of arrows held, with consequences in serious firefights and in serious stump shooting; some people prefer the looks of their bow without it (I do).

Side quiver
Advantages: frees the bow from additional accoutrements; some can carry more arrows than a bow quiver.
Disadvantages: the type that fasten onto your belt wave around and do interfere with stalking sometimes; most of them do not carry enough arrows for a serious fight in a target rich area.

Back quiver
Advantages: always enough arrows, both broadheads and blunts, to cover any eventuality; they look really cool, and really have that old leather yester-year vibe about them; side is unencumbered, as is bow.
Disadvantages: if not properly constructed or worn, so that it cannot readily slide around your body under your armpit when required, the arrows can hit brush and make a noise or hold you up; a back pack or hydration pack cannot be worn, neccessitating the use of a bum bag with water bottle carrier.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »
Oh, I find all quivers equal in terms of how often I have to touch-up my broadheads.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »
Rod Jenkins Safari Tuff Arrow Master will cover all the bases.

I love the Great Northern quivers and it's the only bow mount quiver I use, super with field points and not so oversized broadheads. Depending on what diameter arrows you're shooting you'll have to make sure you get the correct size arrow gripper. They make a small, medium and large.

The Safari Tuff is a "do all" quiver. Carries a load of arrows, keeps them dry and unseen, easy arrow in and out, big broadheads, little broadheads, field points, big rubber blunts, judos, hammerheads, oversized turkey heads, on and on and on. You name it, they fit. If I hade to pick "one" quiver the Arrow Master is it. JMHO.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©