3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thoughts on grizzly 190's  (Read 350 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
thoughts on grizzly 190's
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
I just received some new grizzly 190's in the mail today.  I also had received a dozen about a year ago.  I like them, however, often am torn between going back to/switching back to my 160 grain snuffers or the tried and true woodsman.  Thoughts on broadheads.....
Hill

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: thoughts on grizzly 190's
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
Warrior,

I'm a Grizzly guy...I like the toughness of the 190.  I think they are just made perfectly for my Easton Axis arrow, especially when intentionally over splined for the bow.  But I also like a larger cut diameter for smaller sized game where penetration is not the major issue.  I think I've found the best of both worlds.  Using my Dremel tool w/ a small carborundum blade I've slotted the Grizz ferrule and inserted a Magnus Bleeder blade, secured with a drop of epoxy.  I grind a notch into  those Magnus bleeders too, to facilitate them snapping off if they strike heavy bone.  Like the old Bear Razorhead bleeders used to do in the 70's.

I end up with a sharpened Grizzly at 1 1/8 inch diameter, four ways.  Sweeeet!

I'd prefer to utilize a longer, thinner bleeder to match more closely the contour of the Grizzly shape.  Those big Grizzly 190's sure do look knarly as a 4 blade.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
I don't think there is a better head for turkeys than 160 Snuffer. I think with the right set up and beefed up to over 300 grains on carbon arrows they are great for anything. I also am a big fan of Woodsmans. They are one of the best possible heads for wild boar I have ever seen.
If I was limited to shooting 2 blades it wiuld be tough to choose between 190 Grizzly heads and STOS bhs. Because I like heavy heads I guess in the end it would be the Grizzlys.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Warrior,
   If you're too torn, I'll gladly trade you some 125 Snuffers for your Grizzlys!  

Always experimenting to find the "perfect" setup, I recently switched to the Grizzly 190 and am very pleased with the broadhead.  I've killed a feral hog and a bear with them, and was happy with the hole each shot made.  On the bear, it didn't look like the arrow even slowed down on its way through.  I've killed animals with both the WW and the Snuffer and would gladly use either again, but I just think I'm going to stick with the big 2 blade for a while.

I have seen a grizzly bh "fail" in a sense when it bent 45 degrees on contact with a buffalo rib, so I'm not convinced that they are the perfect head.  In my opinion, they do work well but require some tricky sharpening to get the "tanto" point that makes it deadly.  But hey, with a head the same length as my hunting knife, how can you go wrong?

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
My hands down favorite BH is the Gizzly 190.  I had some bad luck with point curl on the WW, so that particilar head went immediately to the bottom of my list.  If I were going to use multi-blade head, I'd go with the 200 grain Muzzy Phantom.  I killed two whitetails with that BH last year and found the results to be very impressive.

Claudia
Pinecone

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©