3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Long Brutal Season  (Read 911 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Long Brutal Season
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Well our Kentucky whitetail season has finally come to a close. It was tough hunting from beginning to end for me this year. Seems on almost every sit something or someone just didn't want me to succeed. I won’t bore you will all the mishaps but here we go.

Our archery season begins in early September. The weeks before I always start out my year by scouting. This usually consists of sitting and watching soybean fields and determining the outlet paths the deer are using to get to the beans from their daily haunts. Once I find a deer I am interested in, evenings consist of sitting afar a couple nights a week wiping my brow of sweat and swatting skeeters (that's a KY word) until the hot Kentucky day comes to an end all to make sure the pattern is consistent.

About a week before the season arrives I will hang stands at these locations and wait for opening day. This year at one of these fields I spotted a very nice mature 8 pointer I had come to know and another buck that was traveling with him into the fields each evening.  A tall very mature eight point I had three years of trail camera pictures of. He was running with a young but very impressive 6x6 buck that we decided to give a pass to just to see what he could eventually be. My scouting found me watching for this guy and his buddy evening after evening and they always seemed to show. This is the first year I have ever picked a certain deer to target. But I had a long past with him and he was at his prime, mean to other deer and ready for the taking. I really don’t recommend this as it is very hard on the ol’ ticker.  He was at least five and a half years old and maybe a year older. He is very large bodied and ruled the roost wherever I saw him.

Many years a wrong way wind will keep me from hunting for days at these season opener spots on the bean field and this season was no different. Day one came and found me perched in my spot on the opposite hill watching for them that evening as I had done for weeks prior.  Much to my surprise on this night neither of the bucks showed. Evening two came and I was anxious to see if they would come. No big 8 on evening two, but the big 6x6 showed and kept my interest in the spot. Finally on day three I got a good wind and climbed aboard for my first hunt of the year. I sat and waited for the oncoming deer I was hoping would show on schedule. Around deer30 I heard the sound of deer sliding down the far creek bank and I stood and readied myself. Doe after doe and a few small bucks walked under me when all the sudden at the right time I heard more deer dumping down the slope. The sliding leaf sound ended with splashing in the creek as it had all season and the first sighting of the big 6x6 standing and drinking just 50 yards away from me in the creek was a magnificent sight. The 6x6 casually walked right under me and entered the beans.  Much to my surprise darkness fell again that evening with no sign of the big 8.

Day four and five found me watching from the opposite hill again and now even the 6x6 had gone MIA. Come to find out a few days later on a recon mission we had a bumper crop of acorns and they were on the ground everywhere. The deer had dispersed into the woods on their new food source. While I can usually adapt to this fact what caught me by surprise was this happened a month earlier than usual. I spent the next month and a half with no sign of the big 8 point.  In the meantime I passed up several very worthy deer with the bow but did manage to shoot them with my camera I always pack along with me.

Our late October pre-rut finally rolled around and my first sighting of the big 8 came when he was walking across a field in a small creek bottom opening. I had a stand just inside the woods amongst several acorn trees deer were clearly using. He came across the field headed my way but when he got to the edge of the woods he stood for five minutes just looking around. He finally turned and un-alarmingly walked back the way he came for no particular reason. With our first personal meeting my hopes had been rejuvenated.  Day after day went by but with no more sign of the Big 8. This deer had gotten old and smart and never seemed to have any pattern whatsoever I could figure out.  I am still convinced that all the acorns were keeping them spread thin.

A week or so later during an evening hunt and with pre-rut in full swing I hear the leaves crunching with footprints. I stood up and grabbed my bow and all of the sudden see a coyote heading my way. He makes his way by out in front of me and stops to sniff the ground. THUNK the sound the Morrison loosing the sting makes and with a well placed arrow the yote bolts for his life. His pumping heart carried him to about 35 yards as he does a barrel roll at full speed. The site of the hit was 24 paces from the base of my tree and was one of the luckiest shots I’ve even made. As I approached the yote I could see the arrow had hit him perfectly through both lungs. This day was the definite bright spot of the season.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Long Brutal Season
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Some time just after that I did have my second encounter with the 6x6. One cool November morning he followed another nice ten point right in front of me and stopped broadside at 12 paces.  I was tucked back into a cedar tree and they had no idea I was in the world. At this point in my season this second encounter with him was very hard on my heart, but I stuck to the plan and watched him as he walked away.

It was now the heart of the rut and one misty wet morning before light I made my way to a stand I had hung in a great rut funnel that went around the head of a deep draw. I knew this would be a good stand during the rut and waited until just the right time to sit it. As the morning went on I was excited to sit here as we all are in a stand that has been in place for some time and at the first sitting. The day drug on and I had seen a few deer with some smaller bucks. At about 11 am I stood up to take off my jacket. As I pulled it over my head I caught movement to my right. With my arms still tangled in the sleeves I realize it was the big 8 and coming fast. I finally got out of the jacket and grabbed my bow from the hanger. He made his way out in front of me at about 60 yards and was walking very fast. He was heading back to his bedding area from a morning of chasing. I quickly grunted. He never slowed his pace as I watched him go through the drainage and not using the funnel as planned at my upper end.  That was the last time I would see him for the season.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I kept hunting hard as November turned into December. By mid December I finally just had given up on the buck for the season when one evening I looked around to see a beautiful nine point coming my way.  There was an inch of snow on the ground and I decided I was going to take a shot at this deer if he gave me a chance. I know I broke my promise to myself. I was sitting on the ground with three large trees to my back watching him make his way down the trail and headed straight for me.

He slowly made his way up to me and as he passed out in front I tightened the string and when he was just quartering away with his head turned I released the arrow. WHACK it hit a snow covered branch just 5 feet in front of the buck. The arrow fish tailed off track and my buck was gone. I knew the branch was there but didn’t see it as it had snow on it against the snow covered ground. Not two weeks later I got a trail camera picture of him again in the area but this time he showed after dark.

Its now January and by this point I had just about had enough of the bad luck and it actually became funny just to see what would happen at each sit. Up until this point I had been passing all shots on the doe and was getting itchy for some meat and tired of hearing my daughter asking me when I came in if we had a deer for jerky and sausage. One evening a late season doe came by just a little too close and blood was finally spilled.

To add insult to injury the 6x6 hasn't been seen since gun season. Surely a victim of lead poisoning. After all the mishaps and as I get all my gear cleaned up and put away, I sit here wishing I was back out there.  It’s gonna be a long seven months.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Wowzer!  How do you photoshop those prehistoric giant deer antler images onto those modern deer images?

Man.  Nice deer.  And a doe is pretty OK too.  Congrats on her.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Rabbit hunt this weekend Thomas?
We'll be at it again in no time Bro!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Brother, than was one of the finest reads and picture presentations I have ever read/seen. Great photos and story telling! I am very impressed you passed that great 6by. Perhaps he has just laid low licking his wounds from the rut and he'll walk into your ambush as a Booner next year  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Hats off to your great season. Thanks for sharing the journey, enjoyed hearing it!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
From my perspective you had a great season!  Lots of time out in the woods and two kills.  

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the season!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
I feel your pain, I had the same kind of season.Thanks for sharing, great read.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
close encounters with real nice bucks counts for a dang good season, a lot of guys would have settled fo a lesser buck....like me  :thumbsup:

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :campfire:  

Excellent story and pictures Tom !!!! Very well written and narrated.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Good pix of your season Tom ...we'll be chasing gobblers before long & won't be long after that till your after the big 8 again...get to shoot some foam in the mean time...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline ChaserMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Great Story.  I had a similar season except the doe part.  If it makes you feel better there are others who have to wait till October.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing with us TJ ! Great stuff !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Thank you!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Cool pictures!

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Yeah ditto for my season on the bucks. Thanks for sharing. I need to take more pix from stands.
Good job. Hope you find 'em next season!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Tom,

Great stuff! Perhaps you didn't score on the 8 you were hoping for but you sure have some terrific memories to share. I admire your tenacity. For me, you are still "da man"! Again, great stuff.     :thumbsup:    

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing Tom, I really enjoyed that.

D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©