3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Long Brutal Season  (Read 912 times)

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Long Brutal Season
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Tom: Sounds to me like you actually had an awesome season. I worked all season on a large muley. But I had to settle on a couple of Does. 1 Muley and 1 Whitetail. Still a great season. Good luck next year. Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Great story by a great story-teller.  I really enjoyed that!
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Hey Tom....as usual great stuff!  Incredible pictures from start to finish!  

Some mighty fine bucks in your part of the country!    :thumbsup:

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for shraing your tough season. I am right there with you it was one of my hardest years ever. I had got within range of bedded 30" 3x3 mule deer with no shoot. Had my hand pulling the string twice on good bulls on a tough unit,with no shoots fired. I had a bull at 10 yards but it was during my cow hunt. I finally fill one tag out of 4 in the last week of doe hunt. It's amazing how the hard times always seem funnier as time goes on.   :laughing:

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Nothing there looked brutal to me, lot of great encounters. Nice pics and story TJ.

Offline loneviking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Really nice story and pics. Threads like these are what got me coming over here to this forum.  You might have gotten skunked by this buck, but just think of all the things you've learned chasing that big fella!

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by smoke1953:
Nothing there looked brutal to me, lot of great encounters. Nice pics and story TJ.
Ohhh..there's a ton of comedy that TJ didn't relay!  He and I have compared notes all season as to who had the most unseen or unexpected suprise hunt killers...and he finally pulled ahead in the late seaon for the win!!  

The mad dash from work to climb in a stand ony to find the farmer 20 yards from it dumping loads of horse manure....the lady in a jogging outfit that came out of nowhere to pick up the arrow he'd missed a doe w/ earlier in the morning and not noticing him in the tree 20 yards from her..   :biglaugh:     only a couple, but that one was my favorit!!      :laughing:
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
good job
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
NIIIICE!Thanks for sharing
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Awesome pics and story! You must have an iron will for sure! That big 6x6 would have broke my will! By the way you can't claim "skeeter" is just a KY word! We use it down in LA, too (although I wish I'd never see another one)!   ;)    :campfire:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Great stories Tom! I would have broke the promise to myself long before you did. But good job on the choices. Hope the 6 by lived, but if not, no doubt his genetics are still around, looks like he was a scrapper. Look forward to next year!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Great story.  Great photos. Looks like you had a very exciting season even though you didn't have the outcome you would have liked. Nice looking arrows they look just like mine.
PBS  Member

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
thanks for sharing Tom...has me pumped for next year!

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Nice pictures, Tom!  Still looks like a good season, but I know what you mean.  Hope you get a crack at them this fall again!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by LoweBow:

Originally posted by smoke1953:
Ohhh..there's a ton of comedy that TJ didn't relay!  He and I have compared notes all season as to who had the most unseen or unexpected suprise hunt killers...and he finally pulled ahead in the late seaon for the win!!  

The mad dash from work to climb in a stand ony to find the farmer 20 yards from it dumping loads of horse manure....the lady in a jogging outfit that came out of nowhere to pick up the arrow he'd missed a doe w/ earlier in the morning and not noticing him in the tree 20 yards from her..     :biglaugh:       only a couple, but that one was my favorit!!        :laughing:   [/b]
Yeah LoweBow and I went back and forth all year with some things that would just make you roll on the floor. The lady pulling my arrow out of the ground was funny. Just another one that pops in my mind was a small group of does had stopped about 25 yards out while feeding on acorns. They were all facing me and I was up and ready to give them a go when an old Dodge pickup truck came down the road I was about a hundred yards from. This usually wouldn't be an issue as these deer are used to vehicles going by. But this Dodge was well mature in its years and it was missing badly and making loud noises. As the heap got right to where we were it let out a huge BANG backfire. Sounded like a bomb hitting the ground. I just threw my hands up in the air as I watched my sausage run over hill.

Then there was the spike buck that had a very nice buck behind him both coming down my trail. When the spike slammed on the breaks and was watching a squirrel root around in the leaves right in front of him. No big deal right? Well not this year. The spike started blowing and ran off taking the buck with him. I wasn't going to shoot either of them but that is just how my year went.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
cool pics, great story... but looks like a not too bad season to me!  always next year & they'll be bigger
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Beautiful pictures.  Hope you get a crack at that buck this upcoming season.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
All those experiences are why we hunt and make it special, if it was easy the reward wouldn't be so sweet. Congrats on a great season TJ.

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
great story and picture's,you the man! It's hard targeting one deer like that, It's the greatest thing in the world when you score, but oh so hard if you don't after passing on some other nice bucks. At the end of the day(or season)though it's the challenge and beauty of the great outdoors that somehow make it all worth it and leaves us all staring at the calender waiting for next season.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
TJ

Good story.  Sometimes the plan just doesn't come together.  I haven't punched a buck tag for 4 years for virtually the same reason as you this season.

Still, it's the way I choose to hunt and I'm comfortable with all my decisions.
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©