3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New guy- My Set Up - Thoughts  (Read 292 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
New guy- My Set Up - Thoughts
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
Hello all,

I am brand new to this forum, but have been over at D&DH for about 3 years. I have hunted with a compound bow for years but finally decided to get into trad. bow hunting. So...

I bought a throw away $59 rough and ready longbow with a 25-30 lb. draw weight on it. I got the low pound bow to learn proper form on. The book that I read recommended learning with less poundage bow. Once I felt comfortable that my form was correct, etc. etc. I got my 'real' bow.

I traded my Remington 700 .270 for a Thunderhorn Coup Stick made by Duane Jessop of MT, and some extras. The bow is absolutely stunning, and it is hard to keep it out of my hands. It has a cocobo and orangewood riser, elk antler inlaid in the riser, elk antler tips, beaver silencers, and fast flight string. It shoots like a dream with the half-dozen arrows that I was given with the bow.

The bow is 58" long and draws 55# @ 26". I am 6'1/185 and my draw length is more like 28", so I think it is drawing much closer to 60 than to 55. I have no trouble holding steady at my anchor point and shooting 30-40 shots in a session before tiring.

Anyhow, the guy gave me a half dozen Gold Tip 5575's. 3 have the 125 grain FP and the other 3 have the 175 grain FP. The bow seems to prefer the 175 grain tips. Is this common for a setup like this? I see that most guys are shooting the 125 grains. Somehow it just 'feels' better shooting the 175's.

So, here are the arrows that I am looking at gettting:

1 Dozen GT Traditional XT Hunter Arrows

Specs:
Outside Diameter....Shaft 5575....0.302 inches.....Spine....400....Shaft Weight......9.3 Gr/inch....Length....32"

Arrows will be cut to 29 1/2".

I am eye balling the Zwickey Delta 2 blade broadheads at 170 grains for hunting purposes.

As far as the fletching I am going to go with the following:

Right Hand Helical Fletching Style
4" Feathers
and use screw in FP and BH points.

What do you all think of these arrows with this particular config?? Let me have it. :-)

Thanks in advance. I have read and researched as much as I can about these addicting stickbows, but I have an infinite amount of knowledge left to learn.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New guy- My Set Up - Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 02:49:00 AM »
Oh yeah. I will be primarily using the bow for whitetails. I do not take my shots past about 40 yards with my compound bow, and prefer my shots to be between 15-30 yards.

With this new longbow I doubt I will take any shots past 25 yards. I know many guys shoot much further, but I am extremely picky with the bow shots that I am willing to take. Everything has to be perfect for me to loose an arrow, and that rarely happens for me past 30 yards.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
If it is working for you then that is what you use to begin with, once you get your feet wet than if you have to, you can start tweeking things.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »
Congratulations on the switch,sounds like you have a good starting point and you are well on your way!
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
It is a good idea to bare fletch tune your set up. Cut your arrows only if they show weak.
Tom

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
Big Welcome Sam! Sounds good so far but I know nothing of your arrows. 2-blades razor sharp have been my favorite for 30+ years w/o problems. Zwicks are awesome. Your setup may exceed 60# which is also perfect IMO. Get some judos & pass some good time stumpin!! You're in the right spot so have fun & ask questions. BTW, study "bareshafting" in the archives.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Strait. What are Judos?? I know that stumping is good real-time practice. Do you use flu-flu arrows when you go stumping, so as to lose less arrows?? Thanks

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Welcome to the Tradgang family.

I sometimes use flu-flu's for stumping but most of the time not.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
I stump with the same arrows I hunt with.  Cheaper than a broadhead target.  But 99% of the time I use a blunt or GameNabber tip.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Judo's are a type of field point with spring arms that keep the arrow from burying itself. Check out 3Rivers, they should have pics.
Welcome to the 'gang!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I for myself love ace hex heads for stumping.

The 175grs glue on on a 125grs adaptor fly like my BigJims broadhead

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Sam,  Welcome!

Looks like you're off to a flyin' start...stick with it and let us know of your success!

Interesting you would mention your old .270.  I dumped my Ruger .270 M77 just before getting back into trad...replaced it with a Bighorn recurve.  That was nearly 20 years ago...have never looked back!!

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
man, you are doing it right.  nice to see that you are doing your research before you pay for a bunch of gear you end up not using.  not surprised that your arrows fly better with 175 grain, carbon arrows like heavy points, keep with it.

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
P.S. - you can take a 135 grain glue-on judo and mount it on a 42 grain broadhead adaptor and end up with a stump shooter with nearly the same dynamics as your 175 grain broadhead.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
You're in the right place for good info!

I thank my lucky stars for having discovered TG.

That search function is a gem!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
USN_S, judos are the springy ended tips available at the archery supply stores such as 3-Rivers. The stiff springs catch the ground especially grass preventing them from burying underneath. One of the top 5 greatest inventions in archery history. Shoot regular fletched arrows. For more fun, see homemade judos in the archives. These are truly awesome & work equally as well. You can make them any weight you want. PM for more. Have fun.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Sam, Welcome on board and from your Trad Gang name I see you were in the Navy. I want to thank you for your service to this great Country. You are getting a great start and lots of folks here have a lot of knowledge. Keep asking questions because folks will help you out. A lot of good reads here also. You have a good set-up. I would stay as close the the same weight in field points as what you will use for your hunting broadheads. Get out and shoot year round if you can and don't overlook small game like rabbits and squirrels to keep you sharp...well make you sharp. Do your stump shooting on uneven and varied terrain to get the real world feel. Through your local archery shop or your friend give the 3D shoots a try. Everything you did with your compound bow is going to get a lot more exciting and fun and the work is rewarding and shooting Trad. is addicting. Best of luck to you!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©