3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why hunt coyotes?  (Read 700 times)

Offline oz_bandit

• Trad Bowhunter
why hunt coyotes?
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »
I'm not having a go at anyone, but I was just wondering why people hunt coyotes as they are not edible or feral. I'm from australia and am merely trying to broaden my knowledge on american hunting

Offline bkyrdshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why hunt coyotes?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:32:00 AM »
Here in Ohio they are considered a varmit species. They are a very worthy game to hunt. They are smart and skidish making them at time difficult to hunt. I my circle of friends it is somewhat of a competition to see how many we can get. If you want you can always use their fur and hides for trad projects.
"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"   Benjamin Franklin

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
They kill deer. I try to kill deer. Here in upstate New York we have more yotes than deer where I hunt. You can use the hides or sell them. Like stated, they can be quite a challange.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:16:00 AM »
I agree with bkyrdshooter!
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:17:00 AM »
Same reason dingos are shot here.  Coyotes are a heck of a trophy for a trad archer, smart and tough.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »
smart, hard to kill, the challenge, the fun of the hunt, hunt them all year, the pelts, this list is a long one.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »
I guess ame reason why we hunt foxes in europe. When we as hunters decide to hunt deer, hare, rabbit etc. (prey species) we must keep an balance on things and also hunt predators.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
* they compete with me (and win) for game I want to hunt.
* their pelts are cool - I want some of them.
* they are *way* overpopulated here (Central Ohio).
* they are smart and challenging.

You may as well ask, "why hunt deer/hogs/whatever".  We don't need the meat and it's cheaper to buy it at the store anyway - what's the point.  You don't want to go down that road.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
I know very little about the Aussie "Dingo", but then, they are on the other side of the world, and I have never seen one.

I have coyotes in my backyard (literally), and I know very little about them after hunting them for YEARS.

I HAVE learned that they have the ability to learn and adapt faster that me.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
they are predators, and they (think).
whereas deer are prey ,they dont think ,they react...

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
oz_b ---- Good thoughts here.

I like coyotes - but I do hunt them and think that all serious hunters should. I don't hunt them out of any animous. I respect them and enjoy hearing them. I think they have a "net benefit" effect on game for a couple a reasons.

1 they clean up the woods by nocking down rats - other rodents - stuff like that.
2 deer move better in daylight where coyotes live since deer do need to be aware of coyotes working at night
3 i like them cleaning up some smaller trash like loose pets - cats - wandering dogs.

I think their impact on deer is overated. I do know they eat a decent number of piglets - but this might be helping. In both cases (deer / hogs) they eat far more carcass than actually making a kill.

All that said - if we did not hunt and trap coyotes they would take over our hunting land and ruin our options - simply because they are so smart and so effective - they are in the woods 24 / 7 - while we need to make a living.

And like most furbearers and also as canines - they can be very prone to disease when their population is high. Therefor coyotes benefit from being managed.

<><
<-------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
I always heard the last two living things on earth would be the coyote and the cockroach.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I hunt them for a living, yes it's my job. I mainly do livestock protection but have worked on a deer project in the past.

I have a meeting this morning on a possible antelope project with the game and fish. One particular herd is hurting, and needs some coyote control.

A fellow trapper worked another antelope area several years ago, and brought the pronghorn numbers up about 300%.

Coyotes kill alot more deer and antelope, both fawns and adult, than most people think. They take their share of elk calves also. Full grown elk are not a problem for old wiley niether under the right circumstances, such as deep snow. A friend of mine witnessed 3 coyotes take down an adult cow elk a couple weeks ago in deep snow.

Coyotes are bad enough, now we are getting more and more wolves in this part of the state.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
As stated a very worthy opponent with trad gear and other than fawns they also pray on quail, rabbits and turkey's. They can very quickly become over populated as well and will dominate an area.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I plan on giving them a shot (so to speak) because I feel like they are going to compete with me for turkeys and the few quail we have on the farm.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
They kill anything they can catch wild or domestic.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
yep they catch and eat rats, coons, skunks, possums, house cats, snakes

all the stuff that eats quail, turkeys, nesting ducks, song birds, rabbits ect

google mesopredators and coyotes

coons are the principle turkey predator in most areas that they are prevalent

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
They are competitors for two resources that I am after (deer, turkey).  And because it is legal.  And my nephew likes the pelts.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Over 20 years ago a friend of Mine and I would go to His uncles farm and would hunt them, Some of the neighboring ranchers would also have US come a hunt them... We got $2.00 a Yote from the ranchers and also sold the hides to a old trapper. The meat was used to bring them in for a free/last meal.

Wish I would have known then what I know now... You can make some good money selling yote hides. Back then we just got enuff for beer, bullets and gas from a weekend of hunting. If I remember right for 1 yote We got $12.00 total.

Yotes are in 49 States now and walking thru NYC at nite You can see them walking around too. Yotes are both Good and Evil, More so Evil for they hunt and kill more game and pets then the members of PETA..

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Saw a coyote research project on tv a couple weeks back. Believe it was South Carolina.  Basically said coyotes moved into that state back in the late 80's.  And that there was a noticeable decline in deer population or harvest. Not sure which.  But no solid proof to back it up.  

So, this biologist is conducting a fawn mortality research project. They place some kind of sensor in a pregnant doe's vagina.  When she gives birth, the sensor along with the fawn/s come out. The researchers are ready, find the fawn, and collar them to check survival rates.  

The first year I believe they collared like 33 fawns. Not positive.  And only about 8 survived. The rest mainly died from coyote predation or another cause. I thought that was a lot. He said the first 6 weeks of the fawns life are the most important. They have not lost a single fawn to coyotes after 6 weeks.  Not positive on all the numbers, but pretty close. I'd say they have an impact on deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©