3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why hunt coyotes?  (Read 701 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why hunt coyotes?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I found a den once with 23 fawn skulls.

They are a 'worthy adversary'.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Who says they aren't edible??

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
They did a study here in Maine to check the "weak, sick" proposition, to test if coyotes did help the herd health.  They found a ratio of healthy to sick confirmed coyote kills equal with auto killed deer.  The biologist came to the conclusion that the coyotes are not selective on kills, but take down any deer they can catch.  North of here where deer tend to congregate in yards due to the deep snow of winter, the coyotes can be especially hard on the population.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
They are everywhere now and they do'nt follow the typical prey-predator cycle,means that they adapt and eat any and everything,a good challenge too.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:
Who says they aren't edible??
I know some guys who ate at least one. Right Darren!

I was struck by the word feral.

My understanding is the word means raised in the wild so I can't think of any critter out there that's more feral based on my definition.

I wouldn't hesitate to kill any that gave me the opportunity because they are worthy of being my adversary and they're legal.

Just one more opinion.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
("Feral" means escaped or reverted from domestication.  Coyotes are not a domesticated animal in the US).

I raise chickens and turkeys - semi free range.  In the past three months I have lost two turkeys to coyote.

I also enjoy grouse and rabbit hunting.  Coyotes can be very hard on anything that is ground nesting.  This past deer season I saw as many coyote as deer - though the coyote were out of range or moving fast.

I am an opportunistic hunter of coyote - usually encountering them when I am hunting something else or looking out a window.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
because they are way WAY over populated.  i see many a year, hear a ton of them (can hear them almost every night). just to many.  really dont have any natural predators if any around here so something has to keep there numbers in check. im not mad at them for killing a ton of deer (its natural for them, there doing nothing wrong) but theres to many yotes in the areas i hunt and yes they do put a big hurt on the deer pop in my area.  i havnt got one yet (got real close a few times but never got into my lanes).  plus other yotes and animals will eat there bodies so its like your just feeding the wild life
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Oh, I'm not mad at them.  That is their nature.  I'm not mad at leeches, gram negative bacteria, rats or mosquitoes, either.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Mosquitoes  :biglaugh:  doesnt stop me from slapping them    :laughing:  

Feel the same way about Coyotes. Great analogy Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
cagey bast**ds are fun to shoot and you can hunt em yr. round out here
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Oh, I'm not mad at them.  That is their nature.  I'm not mad at leeches, gram negative bacteria, rats or mosquitoes, either.
mosquitoes make it personal. i do hate those sobs haha.  sick of getting eaten alive during turkey season. nothing annoys me more then having a big bird coming in and being covered with biting mosquitoes, its like they know i cant move at that time and take full advantage of it  :mad:
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
They eat fawns rabbits and turkeys,nuff said
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Not really sure why you would want us to justify shooting coyotes ?      :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
They are not natural to Ohio and they kill our foxes, wild turkey, squirrels, rabbits and anything else they can eat every chance they get. I'm not too worried about them killing deer since we have plenty of those. Wolves, bear and mountain lion were our natural predators here. Unfortunately we have no lions, wolves and low numbers of bear now. The coyotes make up for the loss of those predators and then some, but hurt too many of our other natural specias. They need to be eliminated or at least reduced in number.

Here is the proof they are not native to ohio;

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/species_a_to_z/SpeciesGuideIndex/coyote/tabid/6598/Default.aspx

Offline liv2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
All the above. It's just flat out fun also!

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Because they're as common as rats here, they beat down quail , rabbits and deer (fawns) and they will sit out in the fields from my kennels calling to my labs. If they can call your dog out they will eat him too. I have heard yotes call out and kill a house dog before and it is not a good sound when they get him. I'm for killing them all, which gives good use to the very little left when I process a deer, coyote bait. Taking one with a bow would be cool but I dislike them enough that a .243 WIN 85gr HP is perfect.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Gene,
I don't think anyone was criticizing with the original topic question. Here in Oz we can only hunt introduced species and as such the 'vibe' that many have attached to coyotes seems pretty negative as a species. I spoke with a fella recently who wanted to shoot at least 50 of them before winter ended. He seemed really excited and driven to accomplish this .
I , too, have often wondered at this perception.
The knowledge that they are , fun to hunt, hard on other native species and often in plague proportions is most likely the answer to satisfy even the most conservative of hunters.
Cory Mattson's response was just I had expected and gave a perfectly reasonable explanation for  the why's and where-fore's of hunting them that makes it sound not only necessary but a challenging  way to hunt.

The hunting and culling of Australia's introduced vermin i would suggest is a vastly different issue that has far greater ecological impact than you can imagine . We lose delicate eco systems constantly to feral dogs, cats, pigs, goats, horses , wild cattle and buff.
I don't think the original topic was a criticism .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
The problem, as I see it, is that we have eliminated the coyote's natural controls - wolves, large cats, food scarcity - and so they have done a bang-up job of filling their niche and expanding it.  They are very adaptable - like crows, raccoons and squirrels.  And whitetail (thankfully).  They exist in remote regions and right on into the cities and suburbs.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
They are hard to hunt ,smarter than most people , Where I hunt them its a love hate thing .The ranchers wants some for the squirrels but they tear up the irrigation systems, and they breed like flies.Hard on deer and other game. Most of the ones I do hunt never see deer theres no deer in the valley but they do get lots of lambs and some calfs . They are the American Jackel. And not bad barby qued.   :eek:     no way.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
They are not natural to Ohio and they kill our foxes, wild turkey, squirrels, rabbits and anything else they can eat every chance they get. I'm not too worried about them killing deer since we have plenty of those. Wolves, bear and mountain lion were our natural predators here. Unfortunately we have no lions, wolves and low numbers of bear now. The coyotes make up for the loss of those predators and then some, but hurt too many of our other natural specias. They need to be eliminated or at least reduced in number.
So coyotes aren't native to Ohio?  Not trying to be a jerk, but I have a hard time believing that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©