3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why hunt coyotes?  (Read 702 times)

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why hunt coyotes?
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Seems like I read or heard that coyotes were originally naitive to the pacific northwest.   Then as the wolf was killed out with the westward expansion, the coyote spread east since the wolf was the coyotes main predator.

Any truth to this?

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
From Wiki:

The coyote (pronounced /kaɪˈoʊtiː/ or /ˈkaɪ.oʊt/[2]) (Canis latrans), also known as the American jackal or the prairie wolf,[3] is a species of canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada. It occurs as far north as Alaska and all but the northernmost portions of Canada.[4] There are currently 19 recognized subspecies, with 16 in Canada, Mexico and the United States, and 3 in Central America.[5] Unlike its cousin the Gray Wolf, which is Eurasian in origin, evolutionists theorize that the coyote evolved in North America during the Pleistocene epoch 1.81 million years ago[6] alongside the Dire Wolf.[7] Unlike the wolf, the coyote's range has expanded in the wake of human civilization, and coyotes readily reproduce in metropolitan areas.[8]

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
There's always more than one reason for any species to go into decline but here in Indiana they have been a major player in the decline of quail, rabbits, fox, groundhog and grouse. They'll eat the back end out of a birthing cow, same for sows,and it's common for a bitch coyote in heat to lure male dogs into an ambush of male coyotes. They at times appear to be either stupid or fearless, A few years back I had just shot a squirrel with my .32 flintlock. I don't know if the coyote smelled the fresh kill or what but started trotting in towards me. I was about 10 feet from the tree, out in the open and reloading. The thing had to have seen me as I was moving around, but kept coming. I thought "bad day for you" and at about 10yds I dropped it like a sack of cement.The few people we let hunt on the farm have standing orders to kill the damn things.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Even though the Ohio DNR web site claims coyotes are not native here, (but they've been wrong before) I have to agree with TxAg - I have a hard time believing wolves, cougars, bison, and elk were once here and not coyotes.

Offline oz_bandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Thanks everyone, i think my curiousity has been satisfied. And gene, you may have misunderstood me, i am not critisizing anyone or demanding explanations, simply i am 15 and trying to broaden my understanding of bowhunting,
Thanks

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
It gets mighty cold here too mate and they make you afine hat too.They get too many and have to be thinned out to keep them from taking to much of our other game species and livestock ,pets,etc.Its always been that way.Doesnt mean that we dont have respect for them and or see the beauty in them.Come on out to Oregon,and Ill take you out in our high desert and show you.Of course,then id have to come check out your neck of the woods too!Your question was a worthy one Oz and I appreciated it .Good Job.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Because they kill my sheep .. my chickens.. and have taken out more than a few house cats over the years that I was darn fond of .. in fact I hear a pack howling as I write this.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Trust me.. they are the last thing you want

(Unfortunately we have no lions,)
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
I hunt coyotes because they are a predator and kill a lot of deer, elk  and antelope especially the fawn crop, not to mention domestic livestock  calves, when the cows are calving. I watched a deer try to shake off a coyote hanging from her neck and she fell over the river bank and the coyote let go when I yelled at my buddy to look at what was happening. The wolves here in Idaho are having a huge effect on our big game herds and are really taking a toll on our deer and elk. We can't hunt the wolves and they kill a lot more deer and elk than the coyotes. Actually the wolves kill the coyotes. Between the two our big game herds are suffering.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »
Coyotes are like hogs. You can kill every one you see, and there are ten in the bush laughing at you.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Here are some other websites to referenence as to whether coyotes are or are not native to Ohio.

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1129  

http://www.dublin.oh.us/nature/wildlife/coyotes.php

No offense taken by the way. If we can't prove what we say, we shouldn't likely say it!

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:
Who says they aren't edible??
Edible and digestible are two totally different things. And you might could do both but be hurting in the morning. About like eating a crow. No offense to you crow eaters.   :D
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Yotes are indeed one of the best hunting challenges out there! Grab your bow and calls and see how many you get a chance at in a day or month or year, smart varmints that like to eat a lot of our pheasants, quail, let alone our domestic livestock and pets ! I say Have At Em Man ! Good Shooting !
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Increase the deer #'s.

Best reason right there.I'm taking up trapping to reduce them.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Why hunt coyotes? Here in the northeast, they are one of the slickest critters you can go after. I hunt and trap them all season and learn a lesson each and every time I go out. They have a nose that will put a whitetail's to shame. Along with the fawn population, they will kill and eat most anything they find in your snares before you get to them.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
buckeye_hunter - Being native depends on how far back you want to go...8^) Canine is canine, just different sizes and colors.

The grey wolf is Eurasian in origin, whereas the coyote evolved in North America.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
They are loosely affiliated with the Taliban......
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I have a better question.

Why not hunt them?   :confused:    :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Excellent question, my downunder bandito. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning more about these rascally coyotes. Thank you for spurring this discussion.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I have hunted coyotes for many years.  I love em and hate em, but I always respect their ability to survive.

I once got permission to hunt deer on some prime Illinois farm land owned by a couple old sisters runing a small dairy farm.  They said I could hunt deer if I also shot at coyotes.

They told me that the coyotes were so bold that they would come into the yard during daylight and snatch up their barn cats.

Those two gals hated coyotes................I loved that coyote habits got me permission to hunt deer on some fine property.

I shot some with my bow and some with my rifle.
One morning I shot a nice buck and left the woods to get help to drag him out.  The coyotes found him and took an entire hind quarter in less than two hours.

Since moving back home to North Iowa, I do my best to keep them thinned down.  Between myself and a few friends, we get 50 to 70 per winter.
I love the time spent with my friends trying to outwit coyotes.  We don't even come close to getting them all.

The Coyotes just keep making more.  I can say without a doubt that without hunters thinning down coyotes, all we would have is coyotes.

Nature can and will take care of it's self but we are a part of nature.  We could sit back and watch the coyotes over populate then go through a natural decline with sickness like mange that also spreads to fox and other species.  

The problem is,that until nature gets done taking it's sweet time cycling the coyote numbers back down, we will lose too much ground in the populations of other wildlife.

We are the trump card that makes wildlife management work.
LPM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©