3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easy Fur Tanning  (Read 532 times)

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easy Fur Tanning
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
TTT....

I have a deer hide that I am making quivers from. I have one Rawhide quiver sewn up already, but with the second I would like to try tanning it.
I like the idea of soap and oil, but am curious as to what kind or brand of soap would be best for this..??

P.S. I love the search engine on this site!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Okay I have to say it because I know others are thinking it.  If my wife was to catch me using her blender, microwave and fridge to braintan a hide, she would sure enough tan my hide!

Good information and thank you for sharing this.  I too have the link bookmarked and want to try it on some smaller hides and eventually a deer hide.

K.C.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
This is too funny! I guess great minds think alike!
I've been wanting to try this on a critter smaller than a deer all year. I didn't come up with one so I skinned a still limp red fox road kill. Really took my time skinned the paws so the nails were left on the hide. Its still in the freezer but was going to try it this week. I've been wondering two things after what I've read.
1) what is best to clean/ shampoo a fur hide with to clean it nice and when in the process. I was guessing dawn after fleshing and before braining to degrease the hide too. Idk.
2) smoking the hide after braining ... is it just for water resistance or does it aid in the tanning /when curing process? Idk but I was going to error on the side of caution and smoke it...
those were my thoughts after researching as always I love reading everyones input and ill post after I try it :) jim
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
I have used the brain from the animal, and the egg method. Soap and oil seems pretty good and clean to me!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Great article,  thanks for sharing it!
Sounds like a great start to me!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I used this to tan a foxhide for a fellow tradganger and made this fox quiver last year. Works well.

David M. Conroy

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I wonder if a guy should use lye soap or if just regular soap will do. Does anyone have any experience with the soap and vegetable oil method?
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
when I read this it said to turn it over an rub the brain mix on the other side.I guess you rub this brain mix into the fur? do I understand this right? thanks.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
When I tanned the deer hide I washed it out with Dawn, then washed it with gasoline really good and then with Dawn until the gas smell was gone. Then I just let it dry to the point that it was not hard and broke it over a 2x6 until it was soft. It stayed that way and no hair ever slipped . I had that quiver about 10 years and it stayed good and soft with no hair loss at all. Its been a long time but I believe I rubbed it with Neats foot Oil as the last step. The leather was a nice soft tan color.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Cool info, I have a full seal pelt that need to be tanned... I will try it I think.
Thank you.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I've done my share of tanning and quite honestly i don't think there is anything easy about the whole process. unless you got time on your hands and are dealing with small hides, and just want the satisfaction of doing it yourself... i'd highly recommend fleshing them out and salting them to get the moisture content down, and ship them to USA Foxx Furs.... look at their prices some time.....

I won't ever tan another hide myself again unless i absolutely needed to do so....Kirk

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
Each animal has enough brains to tan it's own hide.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
I have read that Ivory soap is what you would want to use.

Try going to a butcher and asking him, "Have you got any brains?" Or better yet, "Hey, I need some brains!", then wait for the reaction.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
My mother always tanned my hide for not using my brains...uh, sorry...I believe I'm off topic.  Some lessons just haunt you for life, LOL!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
We have been buying brains at the super market. They will order cases of pig brains for us. $30 will get you a case and enough brains for about 12 deer hides. If not we use ivory soap and veg oil. I guess this isn't "easy" but its simple. The more hides I've done the quicker I've gotten. If I have a block of time to work on deer hides I will use a wet scrape technique. It takes me about 30 minutes to flesh a hide, I throw it in a buck solution for 3 days, another hour( on a hide that cooperates, can be many on one that doesn't) to grain it, throw it in the creek overnight to rinse, a few minutes to brain it and I can frame soften it over a fire(be careful to not burn it) in about an hour. If I don't have a block of time, I flesh it and put it in the frame to dry scrape. If I get a minute here and there I can go to the basement to dry scrape it. I just brain it in the frame and soften when ready.  Lots of times I'll work a few hides up to the braining step and freeze them. Then a can finish a bunch at the same time. Sometimes I soften inside while watching tv, other times out by the fire in the yard. We often have tanning parties, a bunch of us get together, fire up the grill, crack some beers and work hides.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
As for smoking the hide. You do that after the hide is fully softened. It does a number of things. First, it darkens the leather, so it's not bright white. Second, it will protect the hide from bugs. Third, it locks in the softness of the hide. If a brain tanned hide gets wet, it will dry stiff, like raw hide. After smoking, it will dry slightly stiff but you can just work it by hand for a few minutes and it will be super soft again b

Offline CLOVIS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
www.authentictaxidermy.com  in Wynne Ar. offers a product called one hour tan that works in {ONE HOUR} He sells a lot of this to other taxidermy shops

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
Very helpful and straight forward information thanks
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Jeff B the amount that is in a deer would be all you need! A little more won't hurt!!
Grant

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Man, I am SO glad to see that there are a bunch of people brain-tanning furs and showing interest in the topic!!

It is great that these skills are still being practiced and appreciated. We would not be here today if it weren't for these skills that kept our ancestors alive for thousands of years. Far more fundamental and important than computer skills, etc, in my opinion.

I've done a couple brain-tanning classes for buckskin and also fur-on. It is not easy, but the more you practice the faster you get. And the truth is most of us are not on this forum cause we like the easy way...Or we wouldn't be trad bowhunters. We like the satisfaction, the experience, the whole package. How much better can it get then tanning hides from animals you take with a bow or trapping or whatever?

Keep up the good work guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©