3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My new (to me) Shrew  (Read 470 times)

Offline liv2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My new (to me) Shrew
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Nice bow! I had to wipe the drool from my chin. I've wanted one identical to that for a while, I stopped looking cause I no longer have any extra cash. Great find, hope she didn't break the bank to bad

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Nathan, outstanding photos...    :clapper:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed the pics, trust me she shoots every bit as good as she looks!
Ron, thanks, i am a full time photographer, but these were just a quick job in the studio, when I get the time I will have to take some proper shots with some nice creative lighting  :)
Stand up and say it loud: I am a gap-shooter and proud!
(Although I sometimes use the force)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Congrats. Way to short for my taste, but a great looking bow.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Pretty darn cool!

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Those are good photos, Nathan!  They got me drooling for my Shrew Gold that I'm anticipating in June or thereabouts!    :cool:
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
You cannot beat a Shrew. Margly was fine drawing that bow to 31". I think you got the better end of the trade with the Shrew, even though Border makes a nice bow. The Li'l Favorite is a very special bow that is light, quick, fits well, and is fun to shoot. I think 150 fps sounds slow for a Li'l Favorite at 29.5". That is my draw length, and my Li'l Favorites at that poundage shoot faster, as do my Shrew Classic Hunters. The velocity that you calculated should be close.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by amar911:
You cannot beat a Shrew. Margly was fine drawing that bow to 31". I think you got the better end of the trade with the Shrew, even though Border makes a nice bow. The Li'l Favorite is a very special bow that is light, quick, fits well, and is fun to shoot. I think 150 fps sounds slow for a Li'l Favorite at 29.5". That is my draw length, and my Li'l Favorites at that poundage shoot faster, as do my Shrew Classic Hunters. The velocity that you calculated should be close.

Allan
To my defence I'm going to order a longer Shrew    :thumbsup:  

What is the production time for a new Shrew?

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
About 14 months last I heard. Gregg, you may chime in and correct me.
Tom

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
You just cant beat a shrew for huntin....fantastic photos !
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
She's a beauty for sure.  :thumbsup:  Love mine, and have another coming next week.  I'm buying used, can't really even afford it, but what can I say......I've been SHREWED.  :archer2:

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Sweet bow! I guess another is added to my dream list  :)

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Great looking bow, congrats!!
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks again folks, yes a real beauty.
Been shooting today and have checked a few details...
My draw on this bow is less than my other bows, I think this has to do with the lower grip... I lose a good inch of draw and am now drawing 28 1/4 inch.
Speed. 660 grain arrow, 150 fps checked on two chronos.
Not spectacular, but ok. Thst said, at 20 yards I can put the arrow on the same spot again and again and again.  :)  and they have  over 25 % foc with 300 grain broadheads so i reckon tbis will be a killer set up. Have tested with both nanooks and abowyer wapitis with 100 grain inserts. Real good shooting bow!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Nathan, the last 4 numbers of the serial # is the month and year the bow was made. Yours was made July of 2009. It looks like the original string but I can't be sure. We use 6 strands of 450+ doubled at the loops and served 1 1/2. If you have any problems or questions let me know.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks Ron, yes it is from what I know the original string, and I got a spare one with the bow, and the original papers that came with the bow.
I really am pleased with how this little bow shoots.... I dont think it will be my last one!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Nathan -- Shooting 150 fps using a heavy 13 gpp arrow is not that bad. If you really were getting an extra inch or so in your draw with about three more pounds of draw force and an inch of extra power "stroke", you would get more velocity. You can kill anything in North America or Europe with your setup, especially if you can repeatedly hit the same point at 20 yards.

Margly -- I can guarantee you were not overdrawing the bow, even at your 31" draw length. If you order another Shrew, you might want to consider a Classic Hunter, which will actually accommodate a longer draw length than a 60" Super Shrew. If you don't believe me, ask Ron LaClair or Gregg Coffey. The only Shrew I know of that might be more comfortable for you at your long draw length could be a Shrew Model T, but you sure don't need it, and it would eliminate most of the advantages you would want if having a shorter bow were one of your objectives. BobW here on TradGang has a 32"+ draw length and has no problem with his 56" Classic Hunter. He has repeatedly written about that in his posts.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by amar911:
Nathan -- Shooting 150 fps using a heavy 13 gpp arrow is not that bad. If you really were getting an extra inch or so in your draw with about three more pounds of draw force and an inch of extra power "stroke", you would get more velocity. You can kill anything in North America or Europe with your setup, especially if you can repeatedly hit the same point at 20 yards.

Margly -- I can guarantee you were not overdrawing the bow, even at your 31" draw length. If you order another Shrew, you might want to consider a Classic Hunter, which will actually accommodate a longer draw length than a 60" Super Shrew. If you don't believe me, ask Ron LaClair or Gregg Coffey. The only Shrew I know of that might be more comfortable for you at your long draw length could be a Shrew Model T, but you sure don't need it, and it would eliminate most of the advantages you would want if having a shorter bow were one of your objectives. BobW here on TradGang has a 32"+ draw length and has no problem with his 56" Classic Hunter. He has repeatedly written about that in his posts.

Allan
The bow did not stack at all!
I just thought it was to short for me with my drawlength(personal opinion)
I will sure look at the Classic Hunter!
Thanks for the tip and info   :archer:

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
I like this bow so much, I just ordered another... Two inches longer , bow bolt and 56# @ 28
only 18 months to wait...   :goldtooth:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
THAT IS  a Very Cool Bow!!  :readit:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©