3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Armguard How-To  (Read 131 times)

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
Armguard How-To
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I am interested in making an armguard with the built-in knife sheath.  I've never made anything out of leather but I really want to try and figured an armguard would be a good first project.  Any help at all would be really appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Armguard How-To
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I got started by buying pieces of leather from some traditional archery shoots as well as from a local Tandy Leather store.  The Tandy Leather store manager was very helpful and patient with my questions.  

There are some good videos on Youtube for leather crafting.  I saw a couple recent threads here this week on that type of arm guard.  You could send a private message to those craftsman and ask them more specific questions.

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Go to E-Bay and look under the "Archery Recurve" Sporting Googs" and see if they have what your looking for. Most all are pictured might give you some ideas and as for the leather. Try a Good Will Thrift store or something like that and pick up a pair of cowboy boots, womens purses. These (boots)are usually heavy enough leather for the arm guard and have plenty of leather to work with. Make a Pair. The womens purses, some of them are the exact size and leather weight. And they some times have the Exotic looking leather too. Just a thought, and cheaper to. Besides you can always say it's a gift for the wife or girl friend while your carrying the purse to the check out counter.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I bought a big piece of leather from e-bay a few years ago for $65.00. I've made a back quiver, arm guard and a sheath for a neck knife. I still have quite a bit left. I would like to build a side quiver following the build along on this site. Tools for stamping designs can be very pricey. You may want to see if you can borrow some. Maybe you have a friend that is a Cub or Boyscout leader, usually the pack or troop will have tools for leather projects.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©