3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginner Practice - Constant or Variable Yardage?  (Read 272 times)

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginner Practice - Constant or Variable Yardage?
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Hey All,  I'm back with more rookie questions.

I'm starting over again in trad archery.  I did nothing but blind bale shooting for about a month and a half. I'm now doing a combination of blind bale and target practice (12-15 shots of each).  

On my target practice I started out at 5yds then 7yds and now 10yds.  

My question is as a reborn trad archer would it be best to stick with a single yardage and progress back to a certain point just shooting at that specific distance each session, or shoot variable yardages back to my max confidence distance for each target sessoion?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner Practice - Constant or Variable Yardage?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Starting out (or restarting) I would say stick to one distance until you get consistant.  You have enough to worry about.

The moving about will get the trajactory implanted in your brain, but you have to be consistant before that will help.  You'd just frustrate yourself by hopping around.

I like to take one shot and move, or even come back after doing something else around the house or yard.  That's to get me making the one shot count.  But I've been at this a while.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner Practice - Constant or Variable Yardage?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I practice the first/Kill shot, I do this shot at different yardage. Then work on form. I only do this with 1 arrow first and when working on form I'll use NO more then 3 arrows.

The reason is I have broken more arrows working on form or groups then when hunting.. I would at times start close and work My way back.. 3 bulls I move to the next yardage 5,10,15,20,25 and 30 yards.

Mixing up different yardage and angles helps when out in the field hunting.. Now this is what I do and there are others that do thing differently..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©