3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Paper tuning.....Does it really work or is it smoke and mirrors?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paper tuning.....Does it really work or is it smoke and mirrors?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Paper tuning is ok for some applications,(compounds mostly) because it relies heavily on your ability to consistantly repeat your shots.
Form is very important.  If you vary from shot to shot, your results will vary.
Bare shaft tuning works better for traditional shooters, IMO.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
dbishop,

I would suggest hooking up with an experienced archer to assist you with your set-up. Once you become cognizant of the principles and your confidence increases, you will be both, a much more confident and satisfied camper.

1. Bare shaft tuning is extremely productive.

2. The tell-all is tuning with your broadheads.

There are those that just skip the bare-shaft method and go straight to BH tuning with respect to their field point arrows.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I have friendly disputes about paper tuning and bare shafting with a buddy of mine every time we get together. He spends a lot of time doing so and swears by it. I have never done it. I started out with a 50# bow and learned what shot well out of it for carbons and aluminums using spine charts and understanding that the charts are usually pretty stiff. I spoke with a professional about spining woods and figured out what shaft would work best for me in that regard.

From then on out, even after changing bows, etc - I've simply kept the same length and adjusted point weight. I haven't had a problem since.

I'm not opposed to trying it, I just haven't had the need.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I believe both paper tuning and bare shafting are great tools, but neither should be an obsession.

I have found the best fletched arrows are SLIGHTLY weak when bareshafted.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Same as Kenneth here too.  Paper or bare shaft tuned doesn't always result in great broadhead flight for me either.  However, once I've got everything tuned to where the broadheads and field points shoot the same; bare shaft and paper testing looks great.  With that, I only use bare shaft tuning initially to pick a shaft size, then fine tune with broadheads.  Works for me.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Mikelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Well, I have just been doing paper tuning and it seemed the impact was below the tear so I moved the nock several times down, but it was useless, so the next point as you know was check the clearance, but in a traditional bow  you may find it is difficult to avoid some contact between the 4" 3 fletched arrows and the arrow shelf. I shoot 55# @ 28".
And next I dealt with the bare shaft tuning, to find the .400 spine fatboy with 125 grain points arrow shot at 20 meters doing a sharp bend to the right at about middle run to the target...

Buff, next thing to do is set fire to the whole stuff...!!

The funny thing is that I have just won a county prize in 3D hunting with those arrows...

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I paper tune with a bareshaft for a starting point on nock height, then I use the paper to soak up the grease from some fried taters...   :biglaugh:  

After that it is all bareshaft to check spine and then on to BH tuning..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm with Ken also, paper tuning relies on your form, any flaw, or shot to shot flaw will give you false results.
If your form isn't perfect, I'd bhd and bareshaft tune.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Mikelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
:clapper:

ha ha!!

So what to do with the .400 spine I have? According to Easton, it is fine, but it does a terrible bend at about 10 metres... is it a question of grains at the front?

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mikelo:
 :clapper:  

ha ha!!

So what to do with the .400 spine I have? According to Easton, it is fine, but it does a terrible bend at about 10 metres... is it a question of grains at the front?
How much you got sticking out passt the riser at full draw?
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
i just bareshaft now.  did paper before and like the bare shaft results more
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I never could paper tune well. Sloppy release can give funky results. I use to bare shaft but havent in the past ten years or so as I can usually pick the right size shaft and tune with point weight, strike plate and brace height. I just make sure my broadheads group with the field points out to about 30 yds.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Well, I have just been doing paper tuning and it seemed the impact was below the tear so I moved the nock several times down, but it was useless, so the next point as you know was check the clearance, but in a traditional bow  you may find it is difficult to avoid some contact between the 4" 3 fletched arrows and the arrow shelf. I shoot 55# @ 28".
And next I dealt with the bare shaft tuning, to find the .400 spine fatboy with 125 grain points arrow shot at 20 meters doing a sharp bend to the right at about middle run to the target...

Buff, next thing to do is set fire to the whole stuff...!!

The funny thing is that I have just won a county prize in 3D hunting with those arrows...
You may have your nock set too low and are actually bouncing the rear of your arrow off the shelf. That will give you a nock high on paper.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
I do my initial paper tune at 6 feet. I then move back to 8 or 10 yards to verify that all is right. Paper tuning will tell you in just a couple shots whether your nocking point is high or low and if your spine is weak or stiff. I will not set a bow up without paper tuning as part of the process.

Bisch

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by hvyhitter:
Sloppy release can give funky results.  
This too!

Bisch

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »
yeah, A sloppy release will give funky results no matter how you're testing.

I like to paper tune. Others like bareshaft.
I like paper tuning as there is a physical tear that you can look at and adjust accordingly and it is testing a finished arrow.

Bareshafting just doesn't test the finished product.

You can back away from the paper once things are good from a few feet away. Just to check at longer distance.
When doing this I have never had an arrow flying sideways at distance that was poking holes at a few feet...unless I messed up my release.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Mikelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Well,  Javi, I have just half an inch passed my riser at full draw, it it the normal length, isn´t it?
Zradix, that may be right, I have tried moving the nock downwards but I am trying moving it upwards, it may be the arrow bouncing...

And with the weird direction of the arrow when flying? It changes abruptly about half a meter! Thanks I have a big parapet for the arrows!!

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
I do better paper tuning then bareshaft tuning. I have to find the video that shows an arrow coming out of paradox.
Well I believe this is the one you're talking about!

Made by Daniel, aka Yononindo, a member here!

Enjoy!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Bottom line is how do your BH's fly w/respect to your field points. Tuning BH's, at least, 5 yards beyond your effective hunting range will put you on the mark.

Yes, I may bare shaft tune at longer ranges for starters but have faith once my BH's are tuned. When my 1.5" 3 blade BH's meet this criteria, my arrow flight is beautiful.

Also, note that tuning is limited by your own ability to consistantly execute a shot.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Well,  Javi, I have just half an inch passed my riser at full draw, it it the normal length, isn´t it?
Zradix, that may be right, I have tried moving the nock downwards but I am trying moving it upwards, it may be the arrow bouncing...

And with the weird direction of the arrow when flying? It changes abruptly about half a meter! Thanks I have a big parapet for the arrows!!
Normal.. I don't know.. My arrows are a good bit longer than that.. but I start full length and trim to spine... If I can't get there then I go up a spine range on the arrow and start over..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©