3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Actionboo-vs-bamboo-vs-yew. Interesting.  (Read 8835 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Actionboo-vs-bamboo-vs-yew. Interesting.
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Yew is a great wood but can make for short lived bowyers if they aren't real careful working with it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
What is interesting is that people want to jump to conclusions without anything other than "it sure seems faster" to go by.  To come to any real conclusions you would have to make several sets of limbs with each material in identical bow designs and draw weights and then shoot identical arrows through a chronograph.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
TTT - I found this to be some interesting reading so I thought I would bring it up again.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Here we go again,
"I do not have a chrono so this test is by no means conclusive"
Excactly!!!!!
Design is the key, like O.L says.
Just my 0.02 c.
Regards, Bert

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
It was good to re-read O.L.'s post on this one as I believe he basically says it all.

"the law of averages means you arbitrarily build some very good ones and some very bad ones selecting laminations at random."

How many of you have shot 2 bows built with exactly the same design and same materials but one shot better than the other. This is why it's best to shoot the bow you're buying first.

One of my best shooting longbows has walnut lams. I also believe that maple actionwood which is never talked about anymore is underrated. It seems to me that maple was a standard bearer for years in older bows that still shoot well today.

Another O.L. quote to ponder.

"95% of a bows performance has everything to do with design and nothing to do with materials."
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
This  has been a great thought provoking thread. Thank you Ghost Dog for starting it. I have recently ordered a custom 70" bow that will have Yew limbs. I think I'll be very happy regardless .
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
Hmmm.. maybe that's why my Wallace Mountain is so quick, for the light weight. It has 2 lams of yew for cores and then bamboo on the back and belly.

My next bow will probably be yew, I had a Hill Halfbreed that I foolishly traded, maybe I'll get a Redman next.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
I have a Blacktail recurve. Norm Johnson's bows come standard with Bamboo cores. He will make any kind of cores you desire but he told me the Bamboo is the way to go.

What would be neat is to see what kind of cores the top bowyers use and recommend.

Blacktails = Bamboo
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
With guys on board with both materials, it seems as though limbs of all bamboo, or all yew, or any combination of the two would be of equal performance?

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Do any laminations seem to be more quiet than the others in glass lam bows?
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
After a coupla hundred I totally lost count of all the stickbows I've either owned or shot over the decades.  IMO, no question for me that Tonkin cane has unparalleled smoothness of draw than any other natural limb material.  And I'll take the superior shootability of cane over any added arra speed of yew any day.  IMHO & YMMV.     :saywhat:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
I have a late 70's to early 80's 55# Bob Wilson Hill Longbow with Yew Laminations that is an unashamed exact copy of that era's Howard Hill Bows and its a pig of a bow to shoot. Another mate has a Hill bow yew lams same as we can see tiller thats sweet as to shoot

I wonder if this differance with Bamboo / Yew and hardwood laminations is due to the design characteristics of the bows being better suited to certain limb core materials or perhaps the quality of the yew .

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
You guys started to scare me when I first read this thread...My Mojo Stik originally was ordered with Osage cores...I figured that would build a good bow. Nearly everyone responding to my announcement suggested(SUGGESTED) that Boo core would be the better choice. JD and I made the switch after some talk....He was indifferent about any signifigant performance difference, but wanted to try boo core in another 60"'er. to get some input so to speak.

I'm sure either would have been fine. So Boo it will be this time anyhow. I likely wouldn't see the diff. anyways!
ARCHER

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
I have a mojo stick that has osage core and yew on the back and belly. That equals the best of both worlds.
DEATHMASTER

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
in theory i suppose deathmaster but is interesting you bring that up because i was going to ask the bowyers out there what the performance depneds on.  Is it the core material and only that or is it the combination of the core and veneers?  Or is it the fiberglass in a laminated bow?  Whichever it is is there some magic combination that would give the best performance as long as no one were to care about looks.

I bet no one would care about looks if there was a significant performance gain.  As long as it was still quiet at least.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
Interesting thread, considering of the documented highest performing bows out there, none use yew cores?
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2008, 03:32:00 AM »
Bill Howland of Brackenbury bows custom makes all of his cores. He will tell you that walnut is an outstanding core as well as wenge and hickory. He vertically laminates his cores I have one with a combo of walnut and wenge and it is smooth as butter, my other has bamboo, cannot really tell a difference in them. Both are very smooth to my 29" draw and very fast.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
The biggest advantange from action boo and other lamintated cores for a bowyer is consistancy.It is easier to build bows and hit weight because the material is more consistant piece to piece than a lot of woods.That is one of the reasons action-wood has always been popular.Also one of the reasons maple has always been used so much in the past.When you go throwing a bunch of different exotic woods with different weights and varieing a bunch in stiffness into the mix it usually means a lot of sanding at times on the glass.Bottom line is pick whatever you want if you like the looks but the design of the bow and care the bowyer takes in tillering the bow is going to be the real reason a bow is smooth,shoots fast ect.There is no magic wood out there.The person building the bow has to supply that.  ;)  jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
Very well stated, James.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Here-Here JAmes...well said! Accordingly, I've heard that boo is popular because it provides a smoother draw, also heard that as stated previously that most of the work is done by the glass anyway.
ARCHER

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©