3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell Grip  (Read 1483 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell Grip
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
DO any of you guys use an Asbell Grip? If so what are your thoughts?  I am assuming one must really cant the bow to use this grip/ it wouldn't work with a vertical bow huh?  

Blessings
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Chuck Mullaley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell Grip
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I have the Asbell grip on most of my bows - I don't believe it would preclude you from shooting vertical.  I hold the bow the same, regardless of the grip, I guess it's just my 'learned' form of shooting.  (When I began trad shooting I read Fred's book and watched his video many times over.)

Good shooting!
"I hate rude behavior in a man...I won't tolerate it."  Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
From what I understand the grip is made to allow the natural lay of your hand when you extend it to point. I have a Black Widow that has it and I like it a lot. I also had an original Bighorn that had it and I thought it was one of the best grips I had ever held. Since I also cant when I shoot I cannot say as to how it might work for those who shoot holding the bow vertical. Personally it is one of my favorite grip styles.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I had one on a original Bighorn, and did not like it. It was as if it was not balanced properly. When I drew, it put more pressure on the top limb, and did not seem to draw both limbs evenly. Of course if you held the bow tight, you didn't notice. Obviously we have different preferences, so try one first if you can.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline bowalaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Here is a comparison.  Thanks to someone that had this on the www.  Don't remember where I found the picture and hopefully I resized it correctly.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Like the picture shows, it fills your palm. I have it on my PSA and like it.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
Best grip I've shoot to date

Offline olderndirt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
I have a PMA with the Asbell grip and I shoot with the bow near vertical, never seems to be a problem.  I've also shot a standard MA quite a bit ... like the Asbell grip much better.
I'm not lost ... I'm exploring alternative destinations

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I Have 3 PSA's 2 with asbell grips 1 with the standard grip. Although I can shoot all the bows well I much prefer the Asbell. I shoot in any position necessary from vertical to horizontal and don't have any problem with either grip.The Asbell is just more natural for me. Try it you'll like it. Frank

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Another vote for the Asbell style.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Just purchased a PSA III with Asbell grip, without ever shooting that style, if that makes you feel any better. Currently have a PSA II with standard grip (that I like very much) and I have medium sized hands. After talking with BW and listening to fellow Asbell grip owners, I was sure enough to go ahead and buy the Asbell. Of course, I am partial to G. Fred as I have followed his tutoring since day 1.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dryrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
I can't tell from the picture but is the grip actually canted or is it that the palm area was left/made highter?
Larry

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
I own a couple SA Widows with the regular grips.  I have shot the Asbell grip a few times.  I perfer the Asbell, have a PTFX on order with the Asbell grip.  The Asbell seems to just fit better for me.
Mel Riley

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
I have a PSA III with the standard grip that I shoot well. But after shooting one with the Asbell grip, I wish I had ordered it instead. My next Widow will have an Asbell grip.
Bill

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
I have one Love it
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline Sierra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
I have the Asbell grip on my PSAX . I ordered it after trying both and I preferred it. It fills your palm more than the regular grip. I shoot pretty upright with very little cant, and there are no problems.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©