3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lil'Favorite or Classic Hunter??  (Read 406 times)

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
Lil'Favorite or Classic Hunter??
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Greetings Shrew shooters.  I have a Lil' Fav recurve on order 54" 54#@27" and I should be coming up in the production soon.  My problem is that I really like the lines of the Classic hunter and the idea of packing the straighter limbs if it is a take down.  I chose the Lil' Fav after meeting Gregg and shooting it in Kalamazoo last year and how dead in my hand it felt.  Any thoughts???  Will I notice a difference?

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lil'Favorite or Classic Hunter??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
The CH is dead in the hand too, really comes down to personal preference.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I been shootin longbows pretty much exclusively the past few years. got a classic hunter, and love it. Got a shrew deluxe, and love it. Got a t model shrew, and love it. Those lil favorites look so neat I might need to try one.
  Larry

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I have both great bows.  I prefer the Classic Hunter but then again I prefer longbows.  Absolutely No Help for you...as you need to decide Longbow vs Recurve not Lil' Favorite vs Classic Hunter  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline David Spear

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Last year at Kzoo did you shoot the CH also or just the lil' favorite?
TGMM family of the bow
Member since 6/6/09

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I have only shot the classic hunter. I have owned 2 and only sold them because I purchased them used and were just a few pounds heavy for me. The classic hunter is a FANTASTIC bow. Dead in the hand on the shot. Cannot help you with your decision, but you will not be disappointed in the classic hunter. If a lefty comes up for sale in my weight range I will be all over it.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
I have several of each model (Classic Hunter and Li'l Favorite) and have shot both models a lot. I won't try to go into a huge amount of detail, but here are some of my observations. They both have a similar feel in many ways, as you might expect from their common design roots. If I were to close my eyes and plug my ears and shoot a CH and an LF one after the other without knowing which I was holding, it would be hard to tell much difference in the feel, but there is some. I won't go to great length to tell you in this thread how outstanding Shrew bows are, because you have already heard that over and over from many people for years on this site. You would be extremely happy with either of them, so you can't make a wrong decision.

If you really prefer recurves, then go with the Li'l Favorite. If you do not have carbon backing in otherwise identical bows, the Li'l Favorite is a little faster. With carbon backing added to the Classic Hunter, it catches up speedwise to the Li'l Favorite. Both bows are quiet, especially if you add some wool wrap on the ends of the strings on the LF to prevent limb slap. I love the graceful curves of a recurve bow, and always have, so I like the Li'l Favorite a lot.

However, unless you are set on a recurve, and it sounds like you are not, if you are only going to have one Shrew, I would suggest you go with the Classic Hunter for several reasons.

First, the CH is just what its name says -- the "classic" Shrew. It just looks the part.

Second, longbows are less subject to limb twisting and other problems of that kind which can affect recurves. Not that a Li'l Favorite is delicate, but the CH is more robust in some respects.

Third, the reflex/deflex design of the CH minimizes any great advantages that a recurve might have over a longbow from a performance perspective, and the addition of carbon fiber backing on the CH will equalize the performance or maybe give the CH a slight advantage.

Fourth, there is more choice in the layup on a longbow because the limb thickness allows for more layering of laminations. It is difficult to get everything I prefer in a Shrew limb into the recurve design of the LF, so carbon fiber backing is probably not an option. Actually, as a result of the recurve design, carbon fiber would not be a significant advantage in the LF, so you get most of the performance without the added cost of carbon fiber backing.

Fifth, longbows by their very nature tend to be quieter because of lack of string slap on the limbs. They are also easier to string because of those relatively straight limbs.

Sixth, (and this is unique to the newest CH layups) Gregg Coffey has now developed the best limb layup design for the CH ever produced on a Shrew. The first bow with all the features of the new layup was the CH that Paul Kimbol won on the Surtees auction and then gave to Larry Surtees. The limbs have cores constructed with laminations of syntactic foam, uniweft, and the new "Mystery Material" that Gregg started using with the Armstrong Ghost bow that was developed for use at Shrew Haven last fall. Larry's CH also has carbon fiber backing, exotic hardwood veneers, and very thin clear fiberglass covering both the backs and bellies of the limbs. I have two more Shrews on order right now, and at least on of them will be a CH constructed just like Larry's bow, except using different varieties of woods. Gregg, Larry, and everyone else who has shot a CH with the new layup has said that the new CH design is absolutely quiet, with the characteristic carbon backing "twang" noise associated with earlier designs being totally eliminated. Several of the Gang on the Solana Ranch hunt shot Larry's bow and can give you their impressions.

Seventh, the factor of transporting the bow if it has been built with a BowBolt is huge and weighs heavily in favor of the CH over the LF. I have posted in earlier threads pictures of my two piece CH and a dozen and a half arrows all nestled together in the 3Rivers takedown recurve bow case that can be easily transported by commercial airline or any other means of travel. The relatively straight limbs of the CH work much better than the recurved limbs of the LF. For that reason alone I would personally get the CH, even if the other advantages I have listed did not exist. You can see what I am talking about here:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=082921;p=10#000140

So, long answer to your question -- get the CH with the BowBolt and all the latest limb layup options unless you just prefer a recurve. Gregg Coffey can work out the options for you. You may never hunt with a different bow. That said, there are many other great bows out there that would be wonderful to have (and I own and love many such bows), but you confined your question to these two Shrews. You sure can't go wrong with a Shrew. For a very lightweight, short, handy, hunting bow, there is nothing better and few others in the same class.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Allan,

Those are great perspectives from a guy who has experience with both sides of the "argument."

I have a CH with foam/carbon limbs, bow bolt, and wood veneers with fiberglass.  I agree with all your assessments (although you have me wishing I could swap to add the new mystery core)!

I planned (and saved) for my Shrew for over 5 years, and was leaning toward a Lil Favorite because I've always been a recurve shooter.  For a lot of the same reasons you discovered, and after talking with Ron and Gregg, I went with a Classic Hunter.  For me, it was the right choice.

I wanted one great representative of the "short longbow" for my collection and the Shrew Classic Hunter is it for me.  I don't have the $$$ to own a stable of them, but I am pleased to have this one.

The carbon does have a unique sound to it that is a bit louder, or at least "sharper," than I wished, but OK with my heavier arrows.  If the new core material touches on that one characteristic, it would make this bow even more special.  

Good luck with your decision, Tim, and enjoy your Shrew!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Thank you TIM !!!

After reading your thread today ,I talked with Ron.And the decision was made "Classic hunter" Was ordered 45# @ 29"

In talking with Ron ,I decided to go with the carbon and "mystery core" the foam core limbs .

He said I have plenty of time to pick out the woods ! LOL ,The only advantage I see to the time it will be finished is that I will have time change my mind about 50 times on the wood !

So thanks again to Tim

Now the wait Begins !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Come over and shoot my Shrew C/H and then decide !!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Daryl,

I do not have the newest CH with the Mystery Material yet, but I have heard good things about it. I agree with you that the "sharper" sound is a little louder than I would prefer, but any sound is louder than I would prefer, and even when I was shooting at the Solana Ranch deer I don't think the noise of my carbon backed CH created anymore of a problem than any other bows would have. The noise of our arrows flying seems to be just as much or more of a spooking factor as the slight noise of the bow. Still, I would always prefer a quieter bow whenever possible, and the newest CH is reported to be VERY quiet. I would not worry about not having the absolute latest and greatest. The Shrew you have is amazing -- I have some just like yours, and I love them. The first three shots I took at game with one like yours left three deer on the ground, and the fourth shot still hit hair on a Solana buck, which is an accomplishment with any bow. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately since he walked away and we never saw him again), it was not a mortal wound. I do think there might be a slight speed penalty (not much) with the extra material in the limbs of the new CH that damps the noise. A little more speed or a little less noise really doesn't make a big difference when you get to a bow of the quality of a CH. It would not be worth changing from the bow you already have to get the newer design, but when someone is ordering one new, he might as well get everything he wants that is available at the time. Terry Green and Curt Cabrera are right when they say we tend to get too hung up on little equipment differences when we need to be paying more attention to our hunting and shooting skills. I can fall into that trap too. Don't get hung up on the "Mystery Material". It ain't that big a deal! (But I am getting it on my next CH.   :)   )

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »
I'm with you all the way, Allan.  There are folks who would choose to trade bows to gain 1 or 2 f.p.s., but I am not one of them.  This one is great.  I'm anxious to take some more game with the CH (its record to date stands at one fat groundhog), but the other thing you and I have in common is enjoying Morrison bows... and most of my  deer and hog "notches" have been chalked up to my Cheyenne.

It's a privilege to have such great choices to make!

Thanks!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Wow!!  Thanks to all for the responses.  Allan you have helped tremendously.  Harl, thanks for the offer, we should get together again.  Are you going to the Kalamazoo show?
I will see Gregg at the show and shoot a few more.  Right now; I think I'm going with a 54" Classic Hunter with the new lay out.  That Bubinga looks amazing Allan.
Again thanks to everyone.
Tim

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with any of the Shrew Bows they all shoot well. I love the 2 I have (Super Shrew Dlx and Hunter)they are  Awesome.Good luck Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I do really like Morrison bows too. In fact, Gregg Coffey consulted with Bob Morrison when putting the first foam cores in a Shrew (I own the prototype Classic Hunter with foam cores). Gregg and Bob have shared other ideas too. Two great bowyers with good minds and lots of experiences can learn from one another. So, there is some cross-breeding by Morrison in the foam core Shrews like you have Daryl. You can probably feel some of that. Daryl's bow is one step beyond even my last bow, because mine does not have the thin fiberglass over the veneers on the backs of the limbs.

The highly figured Bubinga veneers are as pretty as any wood I have ever seen, Tim. I think you will be very happy with the 54" CH you are planning. I'm not sure if you are going to get the BowBolt option, but if you will be traveling with the bow, I would highly recommend it. Most people I know who are fly fishermen would never buy anything but a 2 piece fly rod 25 years ago. Now almost no one will buy a fly rod with fewer than 4 pieces because they cast like the 2 piece rods and are far better for travel. That is the same situation with the 2 piece short bows like the Shrew and the newer kid on the block, Big Jim's Thunderchild. I don't have a TC, but I personally would not order either a new Shrew or a TC without the takedown feature, because I travel quite often to hunt. Even when traveling by car a 2 piece is nice.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
We might add Allan that besides convenience for travel the Bolt TD adds noticeable weight in the riser and that is always a plus...    :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
#1 on the classic hunter.

Mine came in last spring, with solid phenolic riser and a bow bolt.
It's my go to bow here in Kodiak.  Great for float planes, rafts, boats, etc...

Jason

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks Allan and Ron.  I am planning on a takedown and love the idea of the case Allan uses.  I draw 27" and was planning 54" but the 52" seems to have a very unique look to it.  Any thoughts on 52" vs 54" at 27"s??

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Seeza,  

I have both a CH and LF...love them both, both have their merits.  I shot deer with both of them this past season and would be hard pressed to like one over the other.  Having said that though, I do like the longbow for all the reasons that amar911 has stated.  

Solution:  In time, own one of each!   :)

Kris

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
With a 27" draw the 52" CH would work fine. You might like the feel of the 54" better though. Ron LaClair is the guy who needs to answer that question, because I have a 29.5" draw length. With a draw that is 2.5" longer than yours, I own and shoot half a dozen 54" short riser Shrews (Classic Hunters and Li'l Favorites), but the 56" feels a little better and is a little smoother throughout the entire draw length. Hopefully Ron will jump back on here and answer your question. I think his draw is close to yours -- maybe a little longer.

I agree with Kris about the ultimate objective being to own both bows. Fortunately for me, I have achieved that objective several times over.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©