3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late season hunt turned stump shoot  (Read 276 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Late season hunt turned stump shoot
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Decided to get my butt out of bed this morning, and brave the cold. Have not had the chance to hunt the past couple weeks, so I was really feeling the need to get out. Thermometer said 0 degrees, and I could hear a slight windiness out side. There is several inches of new snow on the ground from the day before. Grabbed my gear after a cup of coffee, and made drive out to a nice place I know. When I pulled into park, the thermometer in the car said -2. Got out of the car and my hands got instantly cold. I could hardly tie my boots. I have hunted colder weather, but it has been a while. Well, I load up a couple layers and start my hike up onto the ridge. I warm up nice as I go. I go out to a place I have not sat, but have seen deer. Once I get set up, I put on some more wool and settle in for a few hours. There is some creaking of the trees because of the cold. It is a nice morning with the bright moon light on the fresh white snow. I wait for the sun.

The first couple hours are uneventful and I am getting fidgety.

I decide to pack up and do some still hunting in the soft snow. There is no sign as I hike around on the ridge. I am surprised since there is so much nice browse around. The area had been semi logged a couple years ago, and there is plenty of nice young growth around. I guess there is better food some other place. I cover a good size area with out finding a track????

My still hunt soon turns into a stump shoot. There are plenty of great things to shoot at, and with no game around, I need to play.

I still had a great morning tromping around the woods with the long bow. When I got back to the car, my friend had seen that I was there and came out to shoot a bit with me.

you can just see his arrow with yellow fletch in the top right of the pic. Yep, another great day for living.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late season hunt turned stump shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
same thing happened to me this morning too windy here to shoot anything but stumps but man i love it keep it up
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Outstanding!  Just being out there makes me forget about the cold air!

Eric.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
awesome pics   :thumbsup:   you cant beat a day in the woods   :archer2:

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Nothing like spending a day like that in the woods with a friend! Jason

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Wish I could get out for some stumping/scouting, but all this snow and cold has me shut down, no car, only motorcycles. Nice pics!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Nice pics, and thanks for sharing.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Pretty sandy, there, eh.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Hehehe, that would be a lot of sand Ben. Actually pretty rocky under that stuff.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Blood Trail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Great post. I wish we had some of your snow here in east Texas. Brings back good memories of my years in northern Wisconsin.
It's not what you look at that's  important-it's what you see.  

Thoreau

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics and story Jerry...wish we had more snow to hunt in sometimes!

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Nice
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©