3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows why So Complicated?  (Read 559 times)

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows why So Complicated?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Not even counting the time spent shooting bows as a youngster, I've been shooting for about 50 years, off and on, mostly on lately.

Shot wooden bows, fiberglass, fiberglass laminated, shelf, no shelf and all kinds of arrows that I know now were mostly too stiff. First shot of a new set of fiberglass arrows 40 years ago, I hit the wand I was shooting at. Arrow didn't know it was too stiff. Been making my shafts for a half dozen years now. Usually check spine, but sometimes end up shooting odds and ends of different batches made for myself and others.

In all that time, NEVER ONCE had an arrow "kick" on a GOOD RELEASE. Bad release, all bets are off.

I know I'll never be as good at this as some of you who can make your arrows kick, porpoise, fishtail, hit point high, point low, fly left, fly right and who knows what else.

My hat is off to you.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Yes things can get over complicated but a good set of concistent tuned arrows is worth a little effort.  Coming from a recent convert I can tell you that going from grabin arrows to a set of the corect arrows for your bow or at the least a set of the same arrows will make you a better shot.  You wouldn't shoot your compound without tuneing it so why not tune your arrows for your trad gear.  Now for foc, fletch differences ... that is up to you.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
I have seven different draw weights but only make up arrows in three different spines - all cut to the same length.  My light bows shoot the heavy spines and my heavier recurves (cut past center) shoot anything pretty well.  But when you get the bow tuned and the spine right the shaft leaves with imperceptable wobble and the penetration difference - even on foam or straw - is very obvious.

You can also see the difference in accuracy - especially if you go too far underspined.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
You can keep it simple or complicated but any and all arrows fly best when STRAIGHT.  

Carbon and Aluminum users don't worry about this much, which simplifies things alot, but with wood you need to be constantly checking them (including the point straightness).

All other factors considered, Straightness trumps them...... ?
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
To each his own-you can keep it simple or make it as complicated as you choose.
Amen, Bjorn! Whatever floats your boat, eh. I like to keep things pretty simple these days, having shot a few different bow and arrow combinations to just know what works and what doesn't. But some fellows love pondering things down to the last fraction of a millimetre, and if it brings them joy, then good on them.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:

Originally posted by Bjorn:
To each his own-you can keep it simple or make it as complicated as you choose.
Amen, Bjorn! Whatever floats your boat, eh. I like to keep things pretty simple these days, having shot a few different bow and arrow combinations to just know what works and what doesn't. But some fellows love pondering things down to the last fraction of a millimetre, and if it brings them joy, then good on them. [/b]
:thumbsup:
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
I like to keep things simple but correct. With two young kids eating up my time and not a very big house for a tinkering room, I just do the best I can to make sure my arrows fly straight and flat. I concentrate my reading to spine weight    :readit:   and bow function, and concentrate my practice time on good release    :goldtooth:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Friend:
There can always be exceptions, however if your BH's hit spot-on with your field points, then it is highly likely you are good to go. Tuned arrow, Sharp BH, reasonable arrow wt and shot placement are key ingredients.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

:thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Osage61:
I like to keep things simple but correct. With two young kids eating up my time and not a very big house for a tinkering room, I just do the best I can to make sure my arrows fly straight and flat. I concentrate my reading to spine weight      :readit:     and bow function, and concentrate my practice time on good release      :thumbsup:   My scenerio exactly. You couldn't have explained my situation any better and I couldn't agree more!   :archer2:
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
I have to say I started with the basic arrow and 125gr heads(kept it simple) and then after a few years(this year and last ) I tried to get on the heavy head boat,but after asking ?'s and trying different set ups I still cant get it right(I still have a  curiosity with the heavy head thing mostly cause I didn't get it to work the way I wanted).So I always go back to the simple set up (125gr heads and a good flying shaft) and thats what works consistent for me.I do play with fletching size(5 1/2 high backs to self cut low profile) and type(goose and turkey )I even got away from the decorating my arrows for the Beverly Hills look, and now keep them simple and functional.I focus on what works and not what fits in and it always helps me to be able to see what I may be doing wrong with my form and such, rather than thinking it's always the arrow's fault. Shoot what works it's only you and the animal out in the woods, You have to be comfortable with it.Good luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I guess I must of done some tuning but truthfully I don't remember much about it been shooting 2216 aluminums for over 40 years and never saw any reason for change

some of the stuff I read on here makes my head spin to be honest all the FOC stuff ect,

I don't doubt its true just never needed to worry about it archery comes natural to me I guess

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Sometimes, people blame their equipment too much to disguise their poor form. Any way you look at it, if you're hitting the center at 20+ yards consistently, you're doing something right. If you can hit that with random arrows, more power to you. Some people take the consistency of their arrows as a nice little confidence boost that makes them more accurate, while others get frustrated and blame their equipment for their shortcomings. I would definitely shoot properly spined arrows whenever possible; if they're too stiff, they smack the riser, make noise, and tear up your fletching.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©